Jump to content

Carnival stock and onboard credit! :(


alleghator
 Share

Recommended Posts

This benefit is available to shareholders holding a minimum of 100 shares of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc. Employees, travel agents cruising at travel agent rates, tour conductors or anyone cruising on a reduced-rate or complimentary basis are excluded from this offer. This benefit is not transferable, cannot be exchanged for cash and, cannot be used for casino credits/charges and gratuities charged to your onboard account. Only one onboard credit per shareholder-occupied stateroom.

 

I have read a number of times on CC how some people try (and often succeed) in skirting the rules. Carnival is really overdue in cracking down - especially when they took on billions in debt.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

This benefit is available to shareholders holding a minimum of 100 shares of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc. Employees, travel agents cruising at travel agent rates, tour conductors or anyone cruising on a reduced-rate or complimentary basis are excluded from this offer. This benefit is not transferable, cannot be exchanged for cash and, cannot be used for casino credits/charges and gratuities charged to your onboard account. Only one onboard credit per shareholder-occupied stateroom.

 

I have read a number of times on CC how some people try (and often succeed) in skirting the rules. Carnival is really overdue in cracking down - especially when they took on billions in debt.

Funny how they’ll enforce a rule when it puts money in their pockets but on the ship they enforce very little. 👎

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Funny how they’ll enforce a rule when it puts money in their pockets but on the ship they enforce very little. 👎

You would prefer Carnival to go bankrupt? With as many discounted cabins as are sailing these days it is completely understandable that the cruise line tries to make a profit.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

You would prefer Carnival to go bankrupt? With as many discounted cabins as are sailing these days it is completely understandable that the cruise line tries to make a profit.

 

 

The stockholder OBC costs them next to nothing, and may even lead to increased spending. Denying it causes bad will, and may lead to passengers looking more at cruises from lines NOT OWNED by Carnival cruise line.

 

Oh, and aren't you the one who started a thread about onboard revenue going through the roof? Hardly sounds like a harbinger of bankruptcy.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, BamaMomRollTide said:

I have over 300 shares of C stock (bought them at beginning of Covid).   I submitted proof and C reviewed and denied the OBC because C says I “got a deal” on the cruise!   Anyone else get OBC for stock recently?

I got my OBC but I didn't have any special cabin deals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

The stockholder OBC costs them next to nothing, and may even lead to increased spending. Denying it causes bad will, and may lead to passengers looking more at cruises from lines NOT OWNED by Carnival cruise line.

 

Cruise lines like Royal make it much harder to collect shareholder OBC. I can't believe the complaints from some who know they aren't entitled to anything, expecting something. These kind of customers probably should share their misery with other cruise lines.

 

 

43 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

 

Oh, and aren't you the one who started a thread about onboard revenue going through the roof? Hardly sounds like a harbinger of bankruptcy.

52 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

 

So what? Cruise lines may still be one big covid outbreak away from bankruptcy. They are a business not a charity.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The precedent being set is unless guests pay the brochure rate, no shareholder OBC. So not even early saver or resident rates may qualify in the future.

No one has ever played the brochure rate, not ever.

 

The difference is early saver or resident rates are available to all, not a select few. They are public rates anyone can book. I'd gladly trade my 50 or 100 obc for a almost free cruise. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When these threads started I had just booked an October cruise and posted that we were approved even though we were sailing a great casino offer.  For our November cruise, which I didn't book until returning from the November cruise because we weren't planning on cruising until January but got the "we miss you already" free balcony email so why not, we have been denied the $100 shareholder OBC.  It was nice while it lasted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The precedent being set is unless guests pay the brochure rate, no shareholder OBC. So not even early saver or resident rates may qualify in the future.

I don't believe that for a second, but even if it did come true, so what? Technically, I suppose the shareholder OBC could be taxable, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't believe that for a second, but even if it did come true, so what? Technically, I suppose the shareholder OBC could be taxable, too.

 

I am not saying this is the way things will certainly be. But it would greatly devalue the shareholder benefit if they did say that.

 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

No one has ever played the brochure rate, not ever.

 

The difference is early saver or resident rates are available to all, not a select few. They are public rates anyone can book. I'd gladly trade my 50 or 100 obc for a almost free cruise. 

 

The way the shareholder benefit documentation reads, they could choose to restrict it to only people paying brochure rates. I will state unequivocally that there is no evidence of that happening. But until this year I can't recall hearing that any great number of people got a shareholder benefit submission declined unless they were on a player's club free cruise, so it does seem they are reading the documentation a bit more strictly than before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

 

Cruise lines like Royal make it much harder to collect shareholder OBC. I can't believe the complaints from some who know they aren't entitled to anything, expecting something. These kind of customers probably should share their misery with other cruise lines.

 

 

So what? Cruise lines may still be one big covid outbreak away from bankruptcy. They are a business not a charity.

 

kinda like you want to have your cake and eat it too! smh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When these threads started I had just booked an October cruise and posted that we were approved even though we were sailing a great casino offer.  For our November cruise, which I didn't book until returning from the November cruise because we weren't planning on cruising until January but got the "we miss you already" free balcony email so why not, we have been denied the $100 shareholder OBC.  It was nice while it lasted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mz-s said:

 

The way the shareholder benefit documentation reads, they could choose to restrict it to only people paying brochure rates. I will state unequivocally that there is no evidence of that happening. But until this year I can't recall hearing that any great number of people got a shareholder benefit submission declined unless they were on a player's club free cruise, so it does seem they are reading the documentation a bit more strictly than before.

They could. They could also not renew the benefit. Until this year, I had never heard of so many deeply discounted cabins. These are not normal times in many ways.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

They could. They could also not renew the benefit. Until this year, I had never heard of so many deeply discounted cabins. These are not normal times in many ways.

 

It is best to consider it a benefit that could go away at any time. Goes without saying that I wouldn't recommend someone purchase CCL stock simply for this benefit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

 

It is best to consider it a benefit that could go away at any time. Goes without saying that I wouldn't recommend someone purchase CCL stock simply for this benefit.

It is not the only reason we bought CCL stock but honestly we probably wouldn't have without the benefit . Mostly since we don't normally buy individual stocks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, pinto18 said:

It is not the only reason we bought CCL stock but honestly we probably wouldn't have without the benefit . Mostly since we don't normally buy individual stocks 

 

Everyone has to make their own decisions for themselves, frankly where the stock has been the past year or so there isn't much risk to owning 100 shares of it. Especially if you bought when the stock was around $8 a share. But not long before that, 100 shares was what I'd consider a significant investment for a single position.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't believe that for a second, but even if it did come true, so what? Technically, I suppose the shareholder OBC could be taxable, too.

Why  would you think it could be taxable? Do you think all OBC should be taxable? How about when a grocery store card gives you a discount, should that be taxable?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

 

So what? Cruise lines may still be one big covid outbreak away from bankruptcy. They are a business not a charity.

 

Let me repeat--It is a marketing tool that costs them almost nothing. If the board of directors did not believe that, they would not renew it every year. It was renewed during Covid with no changes, yet it seems they have changed how it is enforced.

 

If they are so threatened by bankruptcy, why not make everyone pay brochure price? Oh wait, everyone thinking they got a deal is another marketing tool. And why not stop paying travel agents commissions like the airlines seem to have done? Oh wait, this would almost certainly cost them more than they pay out.

 

And since you are so worried about keeping them afloat (pun intended), why don't you the next time you book Carnival (or any other line owned by the Carnival Corporation) insist on paying brochure price and turn down and OBC or freebie?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: AmaWaterways Announces an Extended Season on the Douro River
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...