Covid test - use CVS or Walgreens?

DaveOKC

It appears that both CVS and Walgreens offer the Rapid Covid tests in our area.  Walgreens is closer to us, but says that the test results should be back within 24 hours (call it the Rapid Diagonostic test ID now) and does not ask about travel related.  CVS says there results are with minutes and they ask if it is for travel.  Walgreens offers their test at about every store in our city, while CVS only uses one location (seems a bit odd to me).

Anyone have thoughts which we should go with?  Why the differences?

• Like 1

Recently all our many Walgreens (rather than about 25%) started offering the Rapid Diagnostic ID test and all our CVS locations dropped the rapid test. Like you I noticed Walgreens no longer asks about travel. About a month ago I had gone thru the reservation processes up to actually reserving a time so I would know what info I need to have. Glad I checked again two days ago to be sure there were no drastic changes. Tomorrow morning I will be reserving my Thursday time at Walgreens.

I would say it depends on if you can get an appointment when you want/need the test. We have both Walgreens and a CVS that does the rapid test near us. The appointment window for Walgreens was only 2-3 days as opposed to the CVS appointment window of 13 days. We went with CVS as I wanted to know we could be tested on a Friday as we were due to fly on Saturday. We had results within an hour.

I needed to get a COVID test before I took my trip to Venice in September.  I made an appointment at the CVS close to me.  Online, they said I would have my results within 24 - 48 hours.  When I went for the test, they said the results would arrive within 72 hours.  

I would, hopefully, be in the air at the 72 hour mark.  I went back online to search for COVID tests and found a CVS about 20 miles from me that said they could give me the results within 4 hours.  I booked an appointment.  When I arrived for the appointment, the Nurse Practitioner asked why I needed the test.  I told her.  She said, “If you can wait 45 minutes, I’ll have the results for you.”. She did.

All of these tests were advertised as Rapid Tests.  I would look for one that mentions a 4 Hour window, since that means they have the equipment onsite to give the results.  Those that say 24 hours or more, normally have to send the test to a lab off-site.  If that lab gets a lot of tests to process, it takes a lot longer to process.

By the way, I got the test results from that first test about 96 hours after I took it.

• Like 1

I need the test on Nov 26 and had a plan to book CVS this morning.  Luckily I was sleeping 

poorly and woke at 4am.  I decided to try CVS.  It was a good thing.  I got late morning.  I looked again at 6:30am and all that was left was about 5pm.  By 7:03, nothing was left.  This CVS is about 45 minutes from us but on the way to Fort Lauderdale.  The cruise is the 27th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zelker said:

A heads up that Walgreen's has opened up their appointment window so you can now book 7 days out.

Thanks. I was going to make the appointment tomorrow morning for Thursday but was able to do it today. All times were available - DH got the next one. Should be good to go.

• Like 1

Bet I am on the same ship.. Nieuw Amsterdam.. I have 4  Proctored test kits.. I will take one Thanksgiving morning.. Hopefully I will be set.. I am also looking to book a Walgreens Rapid for that Friday morning.. and would  use that as a back up.. I will check CVS out again but haven't had a lot of luck getting rapid test only the 48 to 72 hour window.. Damn  I wish they would make it three days instead of 2!.. Such anxiety.... I will try to bring an extra EMED Binax proctured kit with me to the Hotel I will be in that Friday.. In case someone is stuck and would like to have it .. 

Ok.. Was able to get CVS rapid test for 1220PM Nov 26th about 25 miles from me.. So that is my backup if something goes screwy with the Binax Emed Proctored test.. If so I take the CVS test jump back on I95 and start heading south... Just love all these hoops!!

• Like 1

Yes, I know but I can't book Walgreens yet.  Thursday 11/25 is Thanksgiving, so we need to get it 11/26.  Might as well get it on the way and keep on going.  We drive down most of the way one day early.   Walgreens will probably work for our next cruise

11 minutes ago, wrk2cruz said:

Has anyone booked 2 Covid tests at two different pharmacy's  just to be sure you would get results within the 48h window??? Just asking...

We get tested this coming Monday and we did, mostly in case the first place cancels last minute.

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, mustgo said:

Yes, I know but I can't book Walgreens yet.  Thursday 11/25 is Thanksgiving, so we need to get it 11/26.  Might as well get it on the way and keep on going.  We drive down most of the way one day early.   Walgreens will probably work for our next cruise

We aren't going till Jan 4th, flying in the 3rd so need testing Sunday the 2nd... already freaking out!!!

4 hours ago, DanBoy said:

Bet I am on the same ship.. Nieuw Amsterdam.. I have 4  Proctored test kits.. I will take one Thanksgiving morning.. Hopefully I will be set.. I am also looking to book a Walgreens Rapid for that Friday morning.. and would  use that as a back up.. I will check CVS out again but haven't had a lot of luck getting rapid test only the 48 to 72 hour window.. Damn  I wish they would make it three days instead of 2!.. Such anxiety.... I will try to bring an extra EMED Binax proctured kit with me to the Hotel I will be in that Friday.. In case someone is stuck and would like to have it .. 

We used the Binax Emed Proctored test and that is all we needed! It worked easily, perfectly and Holland already knew our results before we could show them our results! Will use them every time we sail!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Walgreens is closer to us, but says that the test results should be back within 24 hours

It is that undefined "Should" that is the sticking point. 

Stuff happens to quickly drive that Should to OOPS.

We have a cruise in early December. Just checked our local area CVSs and several that are still doing the Rapid tests with results within the hour. Last time we got the results within 1/2 hour - on the way home. Will reserve with the CVS schedule window opens up.

As a back-up I have a set of (unexpired) eMed tests. Gotta have at least one back-up. I look at it as cheap insurance to new required cruise processes.

Side Note: We also just used one eMed test to test a family member who was not feeling well - and was being ornery, cantankerous, and obstinate about going out to take a COVID test (Negative COVID result) - good to have those in the closet in any case.

12 hours ago, boatmad said:

Could Danboy please share where he is getting the test?  We are in New Smyrna Beach.

Yes... Palm Coast. Old Kings Highway 1 Old Kings Highway I believe.. 1220pm appt.. Still exploring a closer option but that is my ace in the hole so far .. Hoping the emed test works easily as it should..

7 minutes ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Holland wants the test 48 hours before you board ??

They want it 2 days before you board. That gives you a bit more leeway in terms of timing. We sailed on Sunday afternoon and got our test on Friday morning. 

I believe the testing requirement applies to sailings through the end of February at this point. It may or may not be extended. 

4 minutes ago, Cailey53 said:

They want it 2 days before you board. That gives you a bit more leeway in terms of timing. We sailed on Sunday afternoon and got our test on Friday morning. 

I believe the testing requirement applies to sailings through the end of February at this point. It may or may not be extended. 

THANKS We leave next 12/29  which test ?

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RGEDad said:

It is that undefined "Should" that is the sticking point. 

Stuff happens to quickly drive that Should to OOPS.

We have a cruise in early December. Just checked our local area CVSs and several that are still doing the Rapid tests with results within the hour. Last time we got the results within 1/2 hour - on the way home. Will reserve with the CVS schedule window opens up.

As a back-up I have a set of (unexpired) eMed tests. Gotta have at least one back-up. I look at it as cheap insurance to new required cruise processes.

Side Note: We also just used one eMed test to test a family member who was not feeling well - and was being ornery, cantankerous, and obstinate about going out to take a COVID test (Negative COVID result) - good to have those in the closet in any case.

This is what I think I will do as well for our early Dec cruise.  I already have a double backup with a reservation at the FLL airport Nomi facility for just after we land (yes they take reservations out into Dec. already).  They said no problem if I had to cancel.

Edited by DaveOKC