Beach near Celebrity cruise terminal

prish

Hi, we're on the Apex December 11 sailing and want to spend a few hours at the beach in Roatan. Not really looking for an AI full day pass, just someplace where we can sit in the shade for 2-3 hours. We'll probably have a drink or two and prefer to PAYG. Understand the Celebrity terminal is Coxen, which beaches are close by? Would Mahagony Bay work, how far is it from the cruise port?

This will be our first visit to Roatan and we'd appreciate your suggestions, thanks in advance!

9 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

There used to be a Captain Jack's restaurant but not much of a beach.  I think the newer place is called Fort Consolation.  

http://fortconsolation.com/

Next closest beach is over by the airport.  Las Palmas But may have a different name now.  Short taxi ride from port.

I Dont remember much of a beach at Fort Consolation. Last time we were there  (maybe 2 years ago) they were just completing the extension to the pier for NCL ships and the whole area between the dock and land was a construction area. I know the dock was functional shortly after but I imagine the lagoon and water park area at Coxen Hole have been put on hold due yo recent circumstances. We actually had quite and interesting couple of hours sitting at Captain Jack’s, eating, drinking and watching the construction!

It is difficult to know what establishments are still operational but my recommendation  for nearest beach would be Sol y Mar or Maya Key.

Mahogany Bay is Carnival cruise lines only.

Edited by c-leg5

Thanks guys, will check out Fort Consolation. Not sure if Captain Jack's still there, there isn't much information online. We really don't want to take a taxi to a beach, getting back would be a problem. Would much rather find something close by, then go back onboard after  a bit.

Thanks again 🙂

I think a ship excursion to Maya Key would be your only alternative.  

Like C-leg5, it's been a while and Ft. Consolation as just opening but pier construction was in progress.  Sol y Mar is up in Sandy Bay, but ships often have AI Excursions there, if you don't want to take a taxi.

Frankly, Coxen Hole itself doesn't offer a lot.  Used to be a great little dive bar next to the fishing docks a few blocks toward the supermarket, and a couple of crafty shops.  But shopping is best at "Town Center" the port.

6 hours ago, prish said:

Thanks guys, will check out Fort Consolation. Not sure if Captain Jack's still there, there isn't much information online. We really don't want to take a taxi to a beach, getting back would be a problem. Would much rather find something close by, then go back onboard after  a bit.

Thanks again 🙂

Taking a taxi and hoping to get one back is not really an option in Roatan. You really need to hire your own driver who stays with you, or use transport arranged by the venue you wish to visit. This is a good option for a group but expensive for a couple or solo. Maya kay is cruise ship only and short boat ride directly from the dock. Sol y Mar used to be offered through the cruiseline with several package options. The basic was reasonable but you are restricted to their time frame. Bodden had also started to offer a bus there at a slightly reduced price.

Recently @crewsweeper did post that Murphy’s tours were offering an option of a ride to a single location with driver returning to pick you up. I have not used that company. 

There never was much information on Captain Jack’s. 

Edited by c-leg5

Port Consolation advertises a zipline tour, which doesn't interest us. Guess we'll walk around the port area and see what we could do, then go back onboard. The Apex is a brand new ship and we'll certainly enjoy all she has to offer...

7 hours ago, prish said:

Port Consolation advertises a zipline tour, which doesn't interest us. Guess we'll walk around the port area and see what we could do, then go back onboard. The Apex is a brand new ship and we'll certainly enjoy all she has to offer...

The Zip line was from the port to Fort Consolation, across the water. It wasn’t running during the construction. It would be interesting to hear if anything is progressing with the plans or if it has been shelved/put on hold.The plan was to develop a beach area so you could stay at the port.

Interested to hear you report back.

Edited by c-leg5

On 11/17/2021 at 4:50 PM, c-leg5 said:

Taking a taxi and hoping to get one back is not really an option in Roatan. You really need to hire your own driver who stays with you, or use transport arranged by the venue you wish to visit. This is a good option for a group but expensive for a couple or solo. Maya kay is cruise ship only and short boat ride directly from the dock. Sol y Mar used to be offered through the cruiseline with several package options. The basic was reasonable but you are restricted to their time frame. Bodden had also started to offer a bus there at a slightly reduced price.

Recently @crewsweeper did post that Murphy’s tours were offering an option of a ride to a single location with driver returning to pick you up. I have not used that company. 

There never was much information on Captain Jack’s. 

Murphy's does say you can book rides, about $30/pp for 3-4 passengers. I thought we could use this option to go to to Bananarama beach and emailed him a couple of days back, but he hasn't gotten back. How much would a regular taxi cost, can we be sure the driver will wait for us? Concerned about getting stuck on the other side of the island without transport back to the ship!

Taxi drivers don't wait in Roatan.  Look at booking directly with Bananrama.  They have a van and will pick you up and bring you back.  When's your cruise?  Give Murphy a few days.  and email him again.  Sometimes internet service is spotty.

Thanks crewsweeper, just sent Murphy a reminder, will also contact Banarama directly.

We are on the December 11 Apex sailing, in Roatan on the 14th, so I'd like to get things tied up asap.

Thanks again to c-legs5 and you for your suggestions, not must information available online for some of these ports.

Edited by prish

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 11:55 PM, prish said:

Thanks crewsweeper, just sent Murphy a reminder, will also contact Banarama directly.

We are on the December 11 Apex sailing, in Roatan on the 14th, so I'd like to get things tied up asap.

Thanks again to c-legs5 and you for your suggestions, not must information available online for some of these ports.

Anxiously waiting for your post cruise update! We are in the same boat - just want a short visit and a dip in the ocean with a cocktail. Don't really want to book an excursion just for that.

12 hours ago, JuliaMS said:

Anxiously waiting for your post cruise update! We are in the same boat - just want a short visit and a dip in the ocean with a cocktail. Don't really want to book an excursion just for that.

It would appear from profile PP cancelled cruise. 

If you are docked at Coxen Hole, Sol y Mar would be your nearest, cheapest option. Bodden is still offering shuttle with entrance included and PAYG.

If you need to go to West Bay , check directly with Bananarama if they are still offering day passes with transport - i don’t see it listed on their website anymore. Otherwise shore excursioneer has options.

If you are on Carnival, you have Mahogany Bay right where you dock.

10 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

It would appear from profile PP cancelled cruise. 

If you are docked at Coxen Hole, Sol y Mar would be your nearest, cheapest option. Bodden is still offering shuttle with entrance included and PAYG.

If you need to go to West Bay , check directly with Bananarama if they are still offering day passes with transport - i don’t see it listed on their website anymore. Otherwise shore excursioneer has options.

If you are on Carnival, you have Mahogany Bay right where you dock.

Thank You, we are on Royal so at Coxen