Legal question regarding cruise line...

cad01

Back in late November I made a large purchase from one of the vendors Princess recommended and I was sold faulty merchandise. I have been trying since then to resolve it, with no luck. Princess does not allow you to speak to anyone in charge of their recommended merchants program and they refer all issues to a third party they they contract with. It's too long to go into everything I have tried to do but I have spent countless hours going through all of the channels I have been given.

So now I want to file a formal complaint about Princess and the merchant that I made the purchase from. The merchant is in the Carribean and is Diamonds International. Does anyone have any advice for me on what authorities I should contact?

We spent 10,000 on this cruise with Princess and needless to say, it will be the last one we take with them. They should have been willing to step up and give us some help but instead they kept telling us to call someone else. The only reason why we went to this merchant was due to their recommendation.

Any advice on where I should go next would be appreciated.

You may want to try to do a search on CC on Diamonds International. I say "try" because sometimes the search feature doesn't work well.

There have been several others who have had problems with Diamonds International who have posted on CC. I hope you have contacted your Credit Card company to see if they could assist.

Good luck and keep us informed of any new developments.

I hate to be negative or say "I told you so" but in the case of this on-board shopping stuff (and also the overhyped and overpriced Art Auctions) there is nothing new. The cruise lines actually are paid a promotional fee by the port lecturer companies (these are generally not owned by the cruise line) for which these "so called" port lecturers (who many think work for the cruise line) get to promote certain stores. To further entice shoppers, they make all kinds of wonderful guarantees about these merchants. Some of these merchants are indeed good honorable companies, but others are simply big-time companies that prey on cruise ship passengers. Diamonds International is one of the latter and you will find them anywhere there is a cruise ship (some of the small Alaskan ports now look like St Thomas). Shoppers need to know the real value of what they purchase (check out prices at home and on-line) and be a little more skeptical of what they hear on-board. I must admit that as a CCL stockholder I enjoy sharing the in profits, but I hate to see anyone get "ripped off."

Hank

Archived