Cape Liberty Departure - hotel, parking, tolls

herewego2017

Hello, I am sailing on Anthem of the Seas for 9 nights departing Cape Liberty on December 31, 2021.  I am trying to price out parking at the port versus staying at a hotel in Newark where you can Stay & Park.  I am driving in from Ontario the day before with my family of 4.  We have sailed out of NYC/NJ three times before and stayed near the Newark airport each time and parked our car at a hotel for free. But we have had a hard time finding transportation to the port.  Last time we took an Uber to Cape Liberty and were quoted $25 by Uber yet charged $75 (this happened both ways  - near impossible disputing a charge after the fact).  So my questions are as follows:

i. If we drive ourselves to the port and park, what are the tolls we will need to pay? is there a route that is cheaper toll wise? We would be coming in on Hwy 80.  We would still have to stay in a hotel but we would have a ton of flexibility.

ii. Does any one know of a hotel near the port/Newark airport that offers 14 day free parking (we only need 10) and a shuttle for 4 included in the stay?  I have read several blogs suggesting the Hampton Inn and County Inn, but i'm having a hard time finding this combo deal on their website.  Maybe this was pre-COVID.  I have seen recommendations to trinityreservations but the quote is $350 (i assume USD), which seems very high to me.   If anyone has looked into this recently and figured it out, I would love to hear about it. 

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds!

Parking rates at Cape Liberty were announced as being raised to $30 per day effective mid October. I was charged the previous rate of $25 per day, in October after the increased rate notification, and as of November 7, the $25 rate was being charged not $30.

The Trinity packages are in US dollars, the price includes tax, unlike other sites offering packages. Traveling route 80, you could stay overnight in Parsippany or Rockaway NJ areas, leaving you about 35 miles from the port. Morristown, NJ is another possible overnight location. These locations will be countrified in contrast to  Newark & Elizabeth, with dining options on route 46 or downtown Morristown.

Depending where you enter the New Jersey Turnpike, the minimum toll will be $2.25, if entering from route 78, $3.95 if entering from route 280. 80 to 287 at Parsippany to 24 to 78, is the least expensive toll route.

There are no hotels near the port in Bayonne, Elizabeth & Newark hotels being the closest. Prior to covid, the Hilton Garden Inn in Staten Island NY had sleep/park packages but not at present.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 10:56 PM, meadowlander said:

There are no hotels near the port in Bayonne * * *

There is the Hudson Plaza Motel, in Bayonne, on the city line with Jersey City, about 4 miles from the port. However, it is a 2-star motel that probably would not meet the standards of most persons, either as to its services or the neighborhood (it is located literally on a highway on-ramp, closest restaurant is McDonald's, and shopping at Family Dollar), but for those without high standards it might be satisfactory.

Though the Trip Advisor ratings for the Bayonne Plaza Motel are lacking, the motel does offer hourly rates.  Great if you meet someone on the cruise and need a place to get to know each other better,  following the cruise.

While others suggest it for an overnight based on its location, I would not patronize or recommend it. Go with hotels not hourly rate motels. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, meadowlander said:

While others suggest it for an overnight based on its location, I would not patronize or recommend it.

Not a pleasant environment, the reviews are uniformly horrible, and it is best suited for persons with low (or no) standards. But it is a hotel, and it is within the Bayonne city limits . . . and I have stayed at similar and even worse places when there were no reasonable alternatives. I really don't understand why no one has opened a decent hotel in Bayonne, or offer B&B accommodations. The port has been here now for several years, and with all the inquiries posted here regularly, it would seem that a respectable hotel could do well. Might it be that the city is refusing to allow hotels (through zoning or otherwise)? All the occupancy tax revenue is going to Jersey City . . . nothing for Bayonne! How can a city like Bayonne leave behind all the economic benefit of the cruise port?

1 hour ago, GTJ said:

. . . and I have stayed at similar and even worse places when there were no reasonable alternatives. I really don't understand why no one has opened a decent hotel in Bayonne, 

Now, I do better understand why you would suggest a motel, an hourly rate motel in Bayonne based only on its location but unlike the situation you found yourself in, there are reasonable alternatives. I indicated reasonable hotel alternatives to the op and the op is aware of reasonable hotel alternatives. Again, I would not suggest an hourly rate motel much less stay in one.

The area near Cape Liberty, has been developed significantly since I first sailed from that port. Your suggestion of a hotel, would seem to be logical and I agree. Sleep and park packages would benefit cruisers and the hotel. In October, a fellow cruiser stated she saw a hotel in the newly developed area, though she was mistaken. It seems like a good idea.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 10:08 PM, ottogranny said:

You have to call The Country Inn and Suites and ask for the package that includes parking and the shuttle . They will give you the information. It is not found on the website

If you go through the booking process then after you select your room you have options, and the park and stay option for your days is a menu selection. 

• 2 weeks later...