Germany moves to Level 4 for US citizens - very high risk

Coral

I was a bit surprised when I read that as I had not followed that part of the discussion.

It is awkward for those tourists that have lost or are about to loose their vaccinated status.

Within Germany several states have gone for extending the regulations till 2 April, I have just checked Hesse (yes, 3G), to which I intend to travel this week - which is "down the road" for me really - you have got to know how they want you to behave over there.

By the way, I wrote that there is no 3G anymore on public transport, that is not correct, it is just Deutsche Bahn, i.e. that section of public transport. Local and regional transport, busses and trams and possibly including local trains (not sure about that one) will have 3G if the state says so.

notamermaid

• 3 weeks later...

Within Germany, the Coronavirus restrictions have now been scrapped. The 3G rule has run out and masks are no longer required in shops. However, sections of society like healthcare will continue with basic health measures.

https://www.dw.com/en/covid-germany-drops-mask-requirement-at-shops/a-61356022

There is also something called house rule, which means indoor areas like at the local authorities can keep health measures. And again, states can vary from each other.

All in all for a tourist it makes life much more normal. But still bring masks from home and carry one with you. Easier than buying one the minute you need it.

How and if river cruise companies will change their health protocols is of course another matter.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

My house rule at work has changed in the meantime and masks are only recommended. You will find that many people go back to not wearing masks. It is happening more and more. Today, for the first time, I have been shopping completely without a mask. It felt soooooo good. Shop assistants tend to not wear masks anymore. It is really how the individual feels. Basic rule: the older the person the more likely they are to wear a mask.

For rules and regulations, here is that EU page again: https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/DEU/7001

notamermaid

That shopping trip was a test. Not quite ready me is for doing it all the time. When we still had Delta I was too scared to go into a full restaurant for more than to pick up food. But with Omicron I feel fine to move on. Still, the thought is not easy to shake off and there is no way you will get me on coach trip. I tend to hang on to the thought that a brief chance encounter with a virus is not as bad as getting a full blast in an enclosed room. I hide behind a screen or wear a mask at work when I need to talk to people.

notamermaid

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While life has returned to almost normal for me and more and more people behave as if everything is normal, apart from mask-wearing which is going down in count, i.e. I count fewer and fewer people wearing masks indoors, there are still restrictions when entering the country. When you have tested positive there are rules and the health sector and social services have enforced regulations. There is mask-wearing on public transport. You will need to check whether it is just surgical masks or the N95. This varies.

Here is an article on entry into the country: https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/german-expat-news/3g-travel-entry-rule-extended-until-end-may-germany

And isolation: https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/german-expat-news/germany-shortens-covid-isolation-5-days-what-you-need-know

And here is the sherpa website: https://apply.joinsherpa.com/map?affiliateId=sherpa&language=en-US

which is good if you arrive by plane. But do check with government websites to make sure the info is up to date.

I do not know how things will progress going into summer and autumn, especially with booster and fourth jab (which we call "Impf-Abo" by the way, a let us say not quite so positive word, meaning subscription to vaccine jabs) and what the people in Berlin may come up with (and the people in Brussels) as regards ideas what expires when.

I tend to ignore the doom and gloom, but it is not so easy to get away from, I am still sent feeds on my smartphone with the latest covid-19 figures, long covid discussions and so on.

I will look out for news that may be relevant for tourism (workplace sends me relevant e-mails including the regulations from the state government in Mainz) but for now I am enjoying spring, dealing with tourists on a larger scale again (hooray!) and eating German strawberries (found a very good local source).

notamermaid

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It has been confirmed this morning that Germany will scrap the 3G rule for entry into Germany. It runs out on 31 May.

It has little impact for you I guess, but I just wanted to notify you. You may read this internationally soon and I reckon the relevant government websites will be updated shortly.

notamermaid

Just a bit of direct experience. Ratio of mask-wearing to no mask-wearing has shifted where I live week on week. Last shopping trip 80 percent without masks 20 percent with. No shop assistant or check-out personnel with masks. That varies a bit. Outdoors almost no masks. Social distancing, well, not much at all.

I have seen signs on shops asking you to wear a mask but it cannot be legally enforced so I think fewer and fewer people bother. Out of courtesy I still have one ready at work and wore it on one day for specific reasons. I increasingly forget to wear a mask in shops.

notamermaid

• Like 2

I will be flying to Frankfurt on 1 July. As I understand it from reading this website, the only thing I need to enter Germany is my paper vaccination card. I am fully vaccinated and fully boostered (4 shots in total).

https://www.germany.info/us-en/covid-19/2321562?openAccordionId=item-2468856-0-panel

am I missing anything? I will also contact my airline in the next week or two. Thx for any insights!

With the latest series of reports, the title of this thread and the posts on the majority of its pages have become irrelevant if not misleading.  So I am locking the thread, with thanks for those who put in the effort to track the changes in German regulations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1