Mardi Gras / Live / Solo / Nov-27-Dec-04-2021...

sid_9169

Laissez le bon temps rouler!!!… I fully intend to “Let the Good Times Roll”. In fact, for this occasion, let’s just start right now!...

There’s something about travel that changes you… Not in a literal sense, or any particularly discernible way, but every time you return from a great adventure, the cumulative effects change you forever, until your next journey, where you’ll evolve even more so… I don’t claim to be any sort of seasoned World traveler, not even close. I’ve only yet scratched the surface of this giant blue marble we call Earth. Some day, I hope to fulfill my bucket list, however my budget only allows for a finite number of destinations. This cruise has been a long time coming, and there were many obstacles along the way… 

In a World filled with such a vast array of options, as well as modes of transportation to get there, why did I end up gravitating towards cruising over other forms of travel?...  I remember soon after boarding my very first cruise, that I nearly jumped overboard before we even left the dock… It was only an old fantasy class ship, the Fascination, but it seemed huge… By the third day, I had grown accustomed to day drinking and the dozen or so dining options at my fingertips…. It was as far as I had ever been from work and the city and the traffic, as well as all the other worries back home, and I loved it!... Fast forward twenty sailings on various lines, and it’s nearly my turn to sail Carnival cruise lines brand new Excel class vessel, the Mardi Gras!...But first, the long and arduous effort that it took to get to where we are now…

136741436_3751260738246346_5507386138718738755_o.jpg

Edited by sid_9169
  • Like 25

Currently trying to ride out the last long work day before vacation... Pretty soon, it'll be quitting time, and I'll be off for the next 12 straight days!... During this period, the plans include: last minute preparations for the cruise, Thanksgiving dinner, my corona virus test (which will hopefully lead to the next step), travel from my home here in Atlanta to Orlando, quickly followed by a shuttle to my hotel in the Port Canaveral area, and ultimately boarding the brand new Carnival Mardi Gras... Come along for the ride if you will, and buckle your seat belt, as I have no idea where this is going!...

• Like 23

“The Back Story”

Directly on the heels of my Norwegian Encore cruise in December 2019, I found myself without a future cruise countdown… For those of you that have been in this situation, you know there’s only one remedy for this type of situation: Booking another cruise…

My search included 3 different time frames: Memorial Day week at the end of May 2020, Mid / Late September 2020 (my birthday), and the first week of December, which is usually a bargain. Nothing really excited me until I ran across Caribbean sailings of what would be Carnival’s brand new Mardi Gras, out of Port Canaveral. It would be among the first several sailings following the Transatlantic. I found an inside cabin on Deck 14 that fit my criteria, which is non-connecting and sandwiched between passenger cabin decks above and below. The price seemed reasonable for a brand new ship, so I closed my eyes and held my breath as I clicked the “book now” button… My countdown at that time was 350 days, but it felt great just to have one going…

• Like 11

1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

Laissez le bon temps rouler!!!… I fully intend to “Let the Good Times Roll”. In fact, for this occasion, let’s just start right now!...

There’s something about travel that changes you… Not in a literal sense, or any particularly discernible way, but every time you return from a great adventure, the cumulative effects change you forever, until your next journey, where you’ll evolve even more so… I don’t claim to be any sort of seasoned World traveler, not even close. I’ve only yet scratched the surface of this giant blue marble we call Earth. Some day, I hope to fulfill my bucket list, however my budget only allows for a finite number of destinations. This cruise has been a long time coming, and there were many obstacles along the way… 

In a World filled with such a vast array of options, as well as modes of transportation to get there, why did I end up gravitating towards cruising over other forms of travel?...  I remember soon after boarding my very first cruise, that I nearly jumped overboard before we even left the dock… It was only an old fantasy class ship, the Fascination, but it seemed huge… By the third day, I had grown accustomed to day drinking and the dozen or so dining options at my fingertips…. It was as far as I had ever been from work and the city and the traffic, as well as all the other worries back home, and I loved it!... Fast forward twenty sailings on various lines, and it’s nearly my turn to sail Carnival cruise lines brand new Excel class vessel, the Mardi Gras!...But first, the long and arduous effort that it took to get to where we are now…

136741436_3751260738246346_5507386138718738755_o.jpg

hey sid, 

hope you don't mind i'm hoping onto your cruise!!  

i had a great time last cruise and i'm definitely ready for this one!

i have my drink, my sunglasses and my attitude!

hugs

nicki

• Like 2

After work, I headed straight back out again for my usual afternoon walk... I'm trying to keep those pounds at bay, but I think that a better strategy might be to eat and drink less... Yeah, that's not happening, so I'm walking... Somehow, it seems that I suddenly got "old" all of the sudden. I used to be able to eat everything in sight, and never gain a single pound. But now, it's like I gain a couple of pounds just looking at some food. I also don't bounce back from a night of heavy drinking anymore like I used to either. If you've read some of my prior reviews, you're aware that I'm sometimes prone to just "drinking for sport"... Nowadays, I try not to go too much overboard, but I've studied the menus, and I've got several new to Carnival drinks that I want to test drive. Right now, I've got some chicken drumsticks in the air fryer (couldn't find wings), and I just whipped up a batch of mango margaritas with reposado tequila, some "real" Mexican orange liquor, and fresh mango juice...

PXL_20211123_230411865.thumb.jpg.acb9e1be975706489e9b3e7dcea732a2.jpg

PXL_20211123_230826888.jpg

• Like 10

In case you're a "new" reader, and want to get an idea of what you're in for over the next week or so, here's a link to my most recent cruise / review on Virgin Voyages brand new Scarlet Lady... I'm aware that many of the Carnival fanboys and fangirls aren't eager to step outside their comfort zone, and try a new line, but for me variety is indeed the spice of life... 

Edited by sid_9169
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, naxer said:

See you on the Lido!  Taking the at home test Thanksgiving, and leaving 8AM Friday to to drive down to the airport fly down to MCO.. 

If you see me on board, come up and say hi... I'll be all over the place...

• Like 3

Now, a continuation of "the back story"...

Fast forward a couple of weeks, to mid / late December 2019, and Carnival announced that due to a delay at the Meyer Turku shipyard, the Mardi Gras would be delayed. The Transatlantic, as well as the first several Caribbean sailings had been cancelled. This news, of course hit a lot of would be passengers right where it hurts. People who had been booked on the very first sailings were issued refunds, and would have to find a new date if they wanted to sail on Carnival’s newest ship. 

So, now I found myself booked on only the 3rd ever voyage, and prayed that further delays didn’t occur to affect my vacation. Of course, bookings skyrocketed for my sailing date, and so did the price. I thought to myself, it’s a good thing that I pulled the trigger when I did… 

Next thing I knew, I was celebrating the new year, which was also a brand new decade… Life was pretty normal, for now, at least...What happened next was something straight out of a George Orwell novel… Or, possibly even Stephen King… 

• Like 7