NCL from Panama

Trueblueky

It has not been done before with NCL, new itinerary.  Viking Cruise Lines has just had their first cruise end/start in Panama City(Ft. Amador) a few days ago.   As far as getting to Panama City for the flight home, there is not a huge difference to get to Tocumen Airport (PTY) from Panama City proper or from Colon.  There are taxis available and I imagine NCL would offer some sort of shuttle for disembarking passengers.  If your flight is late enough in the day there would not be a necessity to spend the night before flying out.

We are booked next March on NCL Jewel embarking in Panama City (Fuerte Amador) and disembarking 9 days later in Colon. NCL will be making the flight arrangements and providing transfers. My best guess so far is that we will leave home around midnight the day of the cruise and arrive at Tocumen airport around 2 PM then NCL transfer to the ship (ship leaves at midnight). I'm guessing that when we disembark in Colon, NCL will transfer us back to Tocumen airport for the flight home.  Checking flights home via Google Flights, there is are a few flight that leave after 1:45PM.

All this is best guess, and we won't have actual travel plans until mid-Feb 2022 (45 days before embarkation).

As @BillB48 stated, this is new for NCL and only one cruise in 2022 will do this route. Previous cruises have been cancelled. After we debark in Colon, the next cruise sails through the canal and up the coast to San Diego.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

We are cruising LA to Panama City (Colon) this coming November. We want to spend a couple of extra days in Panama after our cruise, so I looked into transportation options from Colon to Panama City. Not sure if you're wanting to go directly from Colon to the airport, but if you want to go to Panama City, there is a train that takes about 1.5 hours as well as busses to, which take a little longer but are cheaper (I imagine they stop along the way). Reading on other travel forums, it seems the consensus among land vacationers is that the train is the way to go - reasonably priced and efficient. 

14 hours ago, MyTMo777 said:

to go to Panama City, there is a train that takes about 1.5 hours

As a practical option for transportation across the Isthmus, the railroad is not really an option.  The only passenger service offered is M-F, 7AM Panama to Colon and a return trip to Panama City a little after 5PM.  Just one round trip a day.  I have been gone too long to knowledgeably comment on bus travel, but I can assure you unless you are well versed in third world travel, that is not a real good option either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/26/2021 at 12:03 PM, lax19 said:

We are booked next March on NCL Jewel embarking in Panama City (Fuerte Amador) and disembarking 9 days later in Colon. NCL will be making the flight arrangements and providing transfers. My best guess so far is that we will leave home around midnight the day of the cruise and arrive at Tocumen airport around 2 PM then NCL transfer to the ship (ship leaves at midnight). I'm guessing that when we disembark in Colon, NCL will transfer us back to Tocumen airport for the flight home.  Checking flights home via Google Flights, there is are a few flight that leave after 1:45PM.

All this is best guess, and we won't have actual travel plans until mid-Feb 2022 (45 days before embarkation).

As @BillB48 stated, this is new for NCL and only one cruise in 2022 will do this route. Previous cruises have been cancelled. After we debark in Colon, the next cruise sails through the canal and up the coast to San Diego.

We are on this cruise Feb. 4-13 and also had NCL do our flights and transportation.  We got our flight info a couple weeks earlier than expected.  Like you, I researched available flights on both Google Flights and Expedia (learned that more show up on Google) and assumed we'd be on the cheapest flight.  Turns out that was what we ended up on, so the same may be true for you.