Best beach hotel in Waikiki

coopster

4 hours ago, cccole said:

Please, please, please do not lecture on what is and is not allowed in Hawaii.  Basically you are correct but that is not reality.  Trust me, from personal experience in December 2021. 

Not my experience at the Royal Hawaiian either-- and I did try pretty hard to get a drink on the beach on a number of occasions. They wouldn't budge.

The RH isn't all bad news though-- the Mai Tai bar is pretty accessible from the beach. Much more accessible than the Beach Bar at Moana Surfrider. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 4:15 PM, cccole said:

Have a great time at the Outrigger.  I don't know when you are traveling but you might make dinner reservations well in advance.  I called to make reservations at Duke's or The Hula Grill the first week of December for December 18,19, 20, or 21 and they were booked thru mid January.  When I picked up take out one afternoon the hostess said they were taking walk ins but the wait was over 1 hr.  You can always cancel a reservation but not as easy to make one.  Also, the Beach Services in front of the Outrigger charge @$70 for an umbrella and 2 chairs.  You can make a reservation ahead of time for them but can only select location the morning of your reservation.  The only reason to make a reservation for chairs ahead of time would be to insure you get one. December has been very busy and some days there were no reservations available.   Have fun,  Cherie

we are going to be there the the weekend after thanksgiving. do you know who the beach service is so i can book something for at least 1 day since it is i am sure a very busy time there.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, coopster said:

we are going to be there the the weekend after thanksgiving. do you know who the beach service is so i can book something for at least 1 day since it is i am sure a very busy time there.

Waikikibeachservices.com, 808-927-7441 takes reservations but actual location of umbrella can only be selected on day of reservation.  Aloha Beach Services will take a reservation the day before rental  and you can select location for the rest of your stay, alohabeachsvc@gmail.com, 808-922-3111.   Outrigger Waikiki indicates that Aqualani handles their beach umbrella and chair rentals 808-661-5500.  When looking at the Outrigger Waikiki site the blue umbrellas pictured in their Beach & Ocean Activities section seem to be Aqualani.  Waikiki Beach Services are nice but, with a reservation, you need to appear early to get your spot. I love, love, love my toes in the sand in a front row spot so I  do not have a problem arriving early.  And, with any of these you can get take out food and beverage from the hotels to take to your chairs.  The ABC stores also offer beverage/food options.  I don't think that November 2022 dates are able to be reserved from Waikiki Beach services yet.   Aloha Beach Services also has rentals on the Diamond Head side of the Moana Surfrider.  I really like this location.  You'll have such a great time.  Cherie    

Edited by cccole
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 9:59 PM, cccole said:

I will let you know.  We have ocean front suites on the club level so I will let you know how the hotel is and how club level is.  Last time we stayed at Outrigger Waikiki Beach we were ocean front but not club level.    Cherie

We have an ocean front room booked for March. Did you enjoy your stay? 

5 hours ago, T25 said:

We have an ocean front room booked for March. Did you enjoy your stay? 

Hi T25,  We really enjoyed our ocean front room when we last stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki.  We changed our plans in December to stay at the Moana Surfrider so I cannot give a recent review.  We did enjoy take out from Dukes a couple of times.  Make sure you make restaurant reservations as soon as possible.  You can always cancel them.  Have a great time.  Cherie

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cccole said:

Hi T25,  We really enjoyed our ocean front room when we last stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki.  We changed our plans in December to stay at the Moana Surfrider so I cannot give a recent review.  We did enjoy take out from Dukes a couple of times.  Make sure you make restaurant reservations as soon as possible.  You can always cancel them.  Have a great time.  Cherie

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this thread!

We are looking for a Waikiki Beach Hotel for 3 days, Feb 2023, prior to 60 days of cruising
(Sidney to GBR, Tasmania, NZ, S Pacific Islands and back to and around Hawaii)
These are all the trips we had cancelled on us Oct 2020 – March 2022 joined together in one marathon swoop.

In 1970 we stayed at the HHV for RnR (Vietnam).  I thought we would book it again, but I spent a lot of time back then tending to a 7 month old baby and stressed that he had to return.  So this time, while very grateful for his return, perhaps better for something without those memories. 

We were looking at the Outrigger Waikiki or the Sheraton but now have added Moana Surfrider.

We want:
A hotel right on the beach so we can walk the length of it as far as possible (like back in 1970)
Beach chairs for at least 1 day
A room where we face the ocean, preferably from a balcony.
COFFEE around 6am! 

13 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Is your husband a veteran with benefits? If so I would stay at Hale Koa, a DoD hotel on the beach in Waikiki.

https://www.halekoa.com/

If not, the Outrigger WB or Moana would do nicely. I am not a fan of the Sheraton for many reasons.

Thanks Scott.  We booked the Outrigger Club and for 4 days instead of 3.  

We will probably walk over to Fort DeRussey at some point, but we want a different vibe this time.