One-way fare from Vancouver to Ohio

PACD_JG

Background: I originally booked a June/July 2022 Princess Vancouver-Whittier cruise and shortly afterward found too good to be true one-way fares from Dayton-Vancouver for $196.28 US a person (DAY-ORD-YVR).  Well, as it would happen, I cancelled that cruise because they switched my ship from the Sapphire to the Royal.  So I decided to switch to HAL Koningsdam cruise roundtrip from Vancouver.  Anyway, long story short, I need to purchase one-way tickets YVR-DAY.  Why are one-way tickets from Vancouver so bloody expensive!  Because the ship doesn't arrive into port until 7 AM, I'm limited to an afternoon or evening flight, and I've been looking for 2 months now and I've yet to see a one-stop fare lower than $500 per person (not interested in a 2-stop 12 hour flight).  Is this fare normal?  Just be patient?  Anybody ever fly this route before and if so, what did you pay?

Looking at ITA, it seems apparent that flights departing on the weekend are up to twice as expensive as those departing midweek.  You might want to have a look at flying out of Seattle instead, and use the bus or train to get there from Vancouver.  It looks like your cruise arrives on a Saturday, so an overnight in Seattle might be required.

Edited by Gardyloo

Just a few things to keep in mind:

1) By being unable to fly until later, you're probably missing out on the cheaper fares for the day. It's one of those situations where demand is going to go up later in the day (including cruise passengers all flying out), so rates are going to go up. 

2) One-way fares from Vancouver are not, by default, super high. I've flown one-way Vancouver to Kansas City via Seattle for something like $129. But that was also 6am on Sunday in winter.  

3) Previous fares don't necessarily mean much. Someone (like me) can say they've paid $129 to fly one-way out of Vancouver. Doesn't mean it's reasonable or likely to happen again, nor that it applies to your specific situation, so don't put too much weight in to it since fares are constantly changing, especially these days. 

I do agree with Gardyloo that looking at other airports may be good. I regularly fly to Seattle (work in the aerospace industry), and flights to/from Seattle are usually quite reasonably priced. So it could be worth adding a night in Seattle (or between Vancouver and Seattle) and flying out of there. Train, bus, and one-way car rental have all gotten me easily between the two cities. There's also Bellingham, in between Vancouver and Seattle. They're getting more flight, but you will still likely have to double-connect to get to Dayton. 

One final thought - are you willing to fly back in to Cincinnati, or does it have to be Dayton? That would also increase your search parameters, including nonstop SEA-CVG on Alaska. 

Edited by Zach1213

3 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

So I decided to switch to HAL Koningsdam cruise roundtrip from Vancouver.  Anyway, long story short, I need to purchase one-way tickets YVR-DAY. 

Hi Neighbor!

Zach1213 and Gardyloo are offering good suggestions in my opinion.  Have you checked with HAL's air department to see what they might offer?  I doubt that whatever they can offer will be less than what you are finding, but, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Personally, if it is less expensive to fly out of Vancouver the next day, I'd stay overnight in that great city.  Lots to see/do for a day with plenty of excellent restaurants.  

Curious about why you are concerned about just YVR to DAY.  Is there a reason why you are not looking at a RT booking on the same airline?  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Curious about why you are concerned about just YVR to DAY.  Is there a reason why you are not looking at a RT booking on the same airline?  

I read it as that they already had a one-way DAY-YVR-ORD because it was cheap, and then they would sort out a return flight at a later date, only to find out the return flights are more expensive than expected. So the outbound flight is already procured, they just don't have a way home. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 2:19 PM, Zach1213 said:

I read it as that they already had a one-way DAY-YVR-ORD because it was cheap, and then they would sort out a return flight at a later date, only to find out the return flights are more expensive than expected. So the outbound flight is already procured, they just don't have a way home. 

I would say keep looking. 

WestJet (who are Delta partner in Canada) are showing that route for around $350 CDN most days into the spring. They don't have the summer loaded yet.  That would be around $280 US.  You may have to wait a month or two for them to load the summer fares.  Pre-COVID they would normally load fares a year out.  However flights across the boarder as still a bit fluid.  

You may want to also look at the Air Canada website.  Since it is a Canadian departure most sites will price it out in Canadian dollars by default.

The other option is Bellingham airport and Seattle.  Bellingham will have Southwest service.  Seattle is a longer drive.  In both cases when cruises are in port there is direct bus service from the terminal to the airport that you can pre-book.

Generally the domestic air market is recovering nicely both in Canada and the US.  However international market (including between Canada and US) is still lagging.  There are just fewer flights.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 1:52 AM, em-sk said:

Bellingham will have Southwest service. 

Issue with WN at Bellingham is a double-connect to Cincinnati (they don't even fly to Dayton). WN only does BLI-LAS and BLI-OAK, and they don't have LAS-CVG or OAK-CVG service. So you would end up doing something like BLI-LAS-MDW-CVG and still then having to get to Dayton if that's in fact their preferred airport. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PACD_JG said:

Just an update for the curious.

YVR-DAY never went down, but today I found a West Jet-Delta YVR-CVG through LAX for $215 each so I went for it.

Great price!  CVG often has better prices than DAY.  If DAY had more competition, as we once did, our fares would be much better, I suspect.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 9:18 AM, AF-1 said:

I live in Cincy;  and Dayton always has higher airfares than CVG;  plus better connections with all the airlines

Once upon a time, when DAY served as a hub airport, DAY was at least competitive with CVG if not offering more inexpensive fares.  Dayton taxpayers got "sold a bill of goods" when we were encouraged to approve a bond issue to add a third concourse to DAY that was to be used by Delta as a hub.  Concourse was built, Delta used it for a time, (don't think it was ever used for international flights which was part of the sales pitch), Delta changed their mind and decided CVG was to be the hub, and that concourse was mothballed.  But, interest payments on the bonds are still being paid.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Once upon a time, when DAY served as a hub airport, DAY was at least competitive with CVG if not offering more inexpensive fares.  Dayton taxpayers got "sold a bill of goods" when we were encouraged to approve a bond issue to add a third concourse to DAY that was to be used by Delta as a hub.  Concourse was built, Delta used it for a time, (don't think it was ever used for international flights which was part of the sales pitch), Delta changed their mind and decided CVG was to be the hub, and that concourse was mothballed.  But, interest payments on the bonds are still being paid.  

I know what you're talking about.  The taxpayers are still paying for Paul Brown Stadium, plus they are paying for the upkeep of it.  I moved from Cincinnati to the suburbs years ago; just so I didn't have to pay the city taxes which includes the Bengals stadium

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I know what you're talking about.  The taxpayers are still paying for Paul Brown Stadium, plus they are paying for the upkeep of it.  I moved from Cincinnati to the suburbs years ago; just so I didn't have to pay the city taxes which includes the Bengals stadium

At least the stadium is being used and generating revenue to the benefit of the businesses in the downtown Cincinnati area and its environs.  

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

At least the stadium is being used and generating revenue to the benefit of the businesses in the downtown Cincinnati area and its environs.  

Only flown into Cincinnati once for some meeting with a certain grocery retailer based down there.  Just off the downtown there were some fantastic street with older building and some good restaurants and pubs.  Like that city.  The airport felts a bit dated.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

'Twas Piedmont that had a hub operation at DAY, not Delta.  And Piedmont got merged into US Airways.

7 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

'Twas Piedmont that had a hub operation at DAY, not Delta.  And Piedmont got merged into US Airways.

Yes, I am aware that Piedmont was the hub operator at DAY.  What I was trying to say about Delta was that DAY was being considered by them as a hub.  To accommodate and, I guess encourage them to make "it so", the third concourse was built, used for a short period of time, and then CVG was chosen to be the Delta hub in this region.  

On 1/17/2022 at 9:00 PM, rkacruiser said:

yes the riverfront has been thriving;  between the Reds and Bengals stadiums's and the arena;  all the bars and resturaunts are doing pretty well

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AF-1 said:

yes the riverfront has been thriving;  between the Reds and Bengals stadiums's and the arena;  all the bars and resturaunts are doing pretty well

It's been awhile since I have been to the Queen City (a certain virus, you know, discourages me from being a visitor), but, I have dropped many a dollar in your fair city.