Mobile Phone

Sir Cumference

Normally when I cruise, as soon as I get into the cabin, I turn off my mobile phone and secure it in the safe - where it remains until we return to Southampton. I realise that this year (Christmas cruise) because of having to use the "My Holiday" thingy, I won't be able to do that.

Could somebody explain to me (very simply - an idiot's guide) as to what I need to turn on (or off) to avoid running up an unexpected bill - but still allowing the "thingy" to work.

Many thanks 🙂

8 minutes ago, Sir Cumference said:

Normally when I cruise, as soon as I get into the cabin, I turn off my mobile phone and secure it in the safe - where it remains until we return to Southampton. I realise that this year (Christmas cruise) because of having to use the "My Holiday" thingy, I won't be able to do that.

Could somebody explain to me (very simply - an idiot's guide) as to what I need to turn on (or off) to avoid running up an unexpected bill - but still allowing the "thingy" to work.

Many thanks 🙂

There are plenty here who know far more than I do about this, but I found this advice useful:

Borders and cruises

It's worth noting that if you're travelling on the border of a country, you may occasionally end up on another country's mobile operator and you could end up being charged significantly more than you would in the country you're actually in.

To avoid this, you should turn off automatic mobile network switching and manually pick a network. On Android, you can find this under Settings, Mobile data, Network operators. In iOS From there, you can select the operator you were already using, and your phone shouldn't try to connect to another network even if it has a stronger signal.

If you're on a cruise, texts, calls and data at sea can be extraordinarily expensive as they are routed via the ship's satellite connection. Where possible, put your phone into Airplane mode while you're at sea (unless you're connecting to a Wi-Fi network) to ensure you don't rack up huge bills. Save your texts and calls for when the ship is docked.

Most people find their mobiles work well at sea. Signal strength can vary a bit, but you should be able to do all the usual things – make and receive calls, send text messages and photos.
You will see Telenor Maritime or 90112 on your mobile’s display. This means you are using International Marine Roaming and the cost of making and receiving calls and texts will be added to your mobile bill, not your ship account.

________________________________________________________________________________

I found that my phone connected to the maritime network only after sailing - prior to that point connections were to land-based signals.  Switch off phones immediately on leaving port!

1 hour ago, Sir Cumference said:

Many thanks 🙂

See this

https://myholiday.pocruises.com/

Many thanks 🙂

Make sure your phone is in aeroplane mode. Scan the QR code for the thingy. You can leave your phone in the safe until you need to book something via the thingy. If you are in a virtual queue, you need to keep logged on to the thingy until you are seated. You can then leave it off unless you want to book a theatre seat. If not phone off, but you will need the thingy again for breakfast, although just turning up at the door will probably be ok.

Edited by zap99

Many thanks 🙂

And this

https://www.pocruises.com/content/dam/po/pdfs/My-Holiday-How-to-Guide-PDF.pdf

Just back today from Canaries on Ventura, and have to say, we found the "app" a bit pointless. We booked the Beach House on it once, and used it to check our on board account and that was it. We didn't need to use it once for the mdr, or even need to queue, just walked up and were allocated a table. The Glass house doesn't even appear on it as a dining venue. You can book through reception for Sindhu or the Epicurean, I believe, but they were walking around taking bookings for Sindhu as they normally do.

There are staff in a couple of places two or three times a day to help you get connected and resolve issues. It's easy to use, just not really worth the effort in our opinion. 

Take the SIM out of the phone and store it in the safe. That way there will be no way of even accidentally attracting roaming charges 😉

Or do what I do. I have two phones a 'simple' non smart one with BIG pensioner buttons and a SIM. I use this for making and receiving calls and texts. I also have a cheap smart phone without a SIM which connects to free WiFi and the P&O 'App'. My ancient hands hate poking that touch screen though.

2 hours ago, Sir Cumference said:

Many thanks 🙂

TURN AIRPLANE MODE OFF (TAB WILL BE GREEN). THATS IT.  IF YOU WANT TO USE WI FI,, CONNECT TO THE SHIPS WI FI AND YOU CAN TEXT  AND EMAIL ALL YOU WANT.  IF YOU WANT TO PHONE HOME, DOWNLOAD "WHATSAPP"  TO MAKE ANY WI-FI CALLS.  RECEPTION WONT BE PERFECT, BUT IT SHOULD WORK . EASY PEASY. 

Edited by Missymo

52 minutes ago, Missymo said:

TURN AIRPLANE MODE OFF (TAB WILL BE GREEN). THATS IT.  IF YOU WANT TO USE WI FI,, CONNECT TO THE SHIPS WI FI AND YOU CAN TEXT  AND EMAIL ALL YOU WANT.  IF YOU WANT TO PHONE HOME, DOWNLOAD "WHATSAPP"  TO MAKE ANY WI-FI CALLS.  RECEPTION WONT BE PERFECT, BUT IT SHOULD WORK . EASY PEASY. 

Are you sure?. The OP does NOT want to connect to the ships mobile provider, or ships WiFi. You can connect to the ships WiFi for the thingy foc.

Airplane mode is a mobile setting that switches off your phone's connection to cellular and Wi-Fi networks. You can't make phone calls, you can't text friends, and you can't use social media during your flight. ... Switching on Airplane mode makes the device OK to use in an airplane. You no longer have to turn it off.

Edited by zap99

You dont need to remove the sim or put it into aeroplane mode, just go into settings and ensure mobile data is switched off. The phone will then fulfill all functions, including finding free wifi where it's available, and will be able to receive and send text messages, and make calls in an emergency, but it will never connect to any mobile signal. So will not allow any app updates or any other downloads, which are generally the cause of big Bill's. Sending texts will cost but even on maritime these are only about 55p per message, however do avoid sending photo messages, these can be costly.

14 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Are you sure?. The OP does NOT want to connect to the ships mobile provider, or ships WiFi. You can connect to the ships WiFi for the thingy foc.

Airplane mode is a mobile setting that switches off your phone's connection to cellular and Wi-Fi networks. You can't make phone calls, you can't text friends, and you can't use social media during your flight. ... Switching on Airplane mode makes the device OK to use in an airplane. You no longer have to turn it off.

If the OP doesn't want to connect to the ships wi fi, she will not be able to have  wifi and nor send texts and emails.but she will have use of anything preciously downloaded to her phone.   Some of the ships apps allow communication within the ship.  . When flying., Airplanes mode on, I can only use some  of the apps. that were downloaded, 

Before messing around with the phone settings check with your mobile network whether you have chargeable roaming enabled (i.e. you can roam everywhere, some places included in your tariff for free and some places chargeable) or whether you only have included roaming enabled (i.e. only places included in your tariff for free).

If it is set at included roaming (generally EU for legacy tariffs) then there is no need to do anything else as it cannot roam onto a chargeable network or the expensive marine network.

However as ‘belt and braces’ check with your mobile network what your ‘spend cap’ is. Unless you actually want to dial premium rate numbers or send premium rate texts or make use of chargeable roaming if you have ‘everywhere’ roaming enabled, then set the cap at zero and then nothing additional can be charged to your account, irrespective of what you do.

If you don’t have a charge cap set, then I strongly suggest you set a sim pin (this is different from the phone pin or lock). Without a sim pin then if someone steals your phone then they can just take the sim out, put it in their phone and run up thousands in calls if you don’t have a charge cap. With a sim pin, when the sim is put in a new phone until the pin is entered it won’t work, and entering the pin wrong three times locks it and you would need to speak to your mobile network to get it unlocked.

However a sim pin is only needed if you have a physical sim, and if you have an iPhone 12 or later you may (or may not) have an e-sim which is added to the phone by scanning a QR code so cannot be removed if the phone is stolen.

But if you want to go further to prevent incurring any changes, then you have two options for the mobile data, but you would also need to forward all calls to voicemail to prevent receiving any calls whilst connected to the maritime or overseas networks (text messages are received free of charge).

If you don’t want to roam using data, then turn off ‘roaming’ for data in the phone settings - on an iPhone it is Settings - Mobile Data - Mobile Data Options.

Or alternatively just turn off mobile data in the phone (iPhones - access the control centre by sweeping up from the bottom of the screen or down from the top right depending on version, and it is in the four circular button section along with airline mode, turning off WiFi and turning off Bluetooth).

Turning off mobile data does not prevent you using WiFi anywhere you want to use it, such as on the ship for the MyHoliday portal - it isn’t an app, it is simply a captive webpage portal that your phone will connect to when you open your browser.

And if you do want to roam somewhere with data whilst on holiday that isn’t included in your mobile phone tariff, then if you have an iPhone 12 or later then as they support dual sim, one physical and one e-sim, then you could use one of the many companies who offer pre-paid e-sims at a fraction of the cost your mobile network would charge, which you simply buy and load from an app you install on the phone.

Just now, Gettingwarmer said:

@Sir Cumference asked for simple replies. Most of these are too complicated. 

Too complicated to phone your mobile network and ask two questions?

Too complicated to make one change to the settings?

Too complicated to press one button?

If that is too complicated then I would be surprised if they can find their socks in the morning. 

Just now, picsa said:

If that is too complicated then I would be surprised if they can find their socks in the morning. 

You obviously have no knowledge of Sir Cumference and their previous posts. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, picsa said:

The OP asked for an idiot's guide, what to turn on, or off. Not an detailed procedure, or a dig about socks.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The OP asked for an idiot's guide, what to turn on, or off. Not an detailed procedure, or a dig about socks.

It was a simple guide, so sorry it was too complicated for you to understand. 

Turn airplane mode ON (which will turn everything OFF) - then just turn WiFi ON to use ships WiFi or any free one ashore.

that way mobile data will be OFF and no unknown charges and it’s easier than turning everything off one by one.

paul

Edited by paulatsea
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Turn airplane mode ON (which will turn everything OFF) - then just turn WiFi ON to use ships WiFi or any free one ashore.

that way mobile data will be OFF and no unknown charges and it’s easier than turning everything off one by one.

paul

That is what I do. But I am not as cleverer as some on here. K.I.S.S and keep my long socks on with me flip-flops.

16 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

A bit of a curve ball - just to point out that when using the app, they suggest to keep the page open after joining a queue. If you happen to have a phone which devours battery life like a jam doughnut consider getting a powerbank - basically a battery you can plug your phone into. It doesn't need to be huge and heavy, but they're handy to have so you don't end up tethered to a wall socket. 

I tend to carry one along with a retractable USB lead,