Puerto Plata Status ?

On 12/9/2021 at 9:56 AM, Cruising to Retirement said:

We are on the January 19th Sailing of Norwegian Gem and scheduled to visit Puerto Plata, Does anyone know if it is open for Cruise Ships or not.  Was loking forward to seeing it and have an excursion booked there already-  any info is appreciated.....

It is "suppose" to open Dec.15th for cruise ships, but many now are going to Amber Cove, which is 5 or 6 miles away..we are also suppose to there Jan. 11th on the NCL Encore...cruisetimetables.com has us going to Amber Cove, not PP...

Big Al

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, big al said:

It is "suppose" to open Dec.15th for cruise ships, but many now are going to Amber Cove, which is 5 or 6 miles away..we are also suppose to there Jan. 11th on the NCL Encore...cruisetimetables.com has us going to Amber Cove, not PP...

Big Al

NEW TODAY:

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/tourism/2021/12/10/the-taino-bay-port-opens-this-month-with-the-arrival-of-its-first-cruise-ships/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Yes, it's opening on December 15th.  We'll be on the MSC Seashore which will be there on it's opening day. Should be nice!

Please come back and let us know how it was!  We're supposed to be there on the NCL Getaway on Jan. 3.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

I’m wondering if it’s fairly easy and safe to get off the ship and into town without an excursion, either walking or a short cab/shuttle ride

We have a short shore excursion booked.

A Google Maps search shows that the distance to certain sights (FORT area) are not too much of a walk for us. 

What might be the biggest deterrent, is the on-going construction!  We'll go on the booked excursion and see what we see, then perhaps, explore a little on our own by foot.

9 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

We have a short shore excursion booked.

A Google Maps search shows that the distance to certain sights (FORT area) are not too much of a walk for us. 

What might be the biggest deterrent, is the on-going construction!  We'll go on the booked excursion and see what we see, then perhaps, explore a little on our own by foot.

Looking forward to your report on PP!! ..we are suppose to go Jan. 11th on NCL Encore...have a great time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, rockymtn2 said:

Looks like the MSC Seashore docked at Taino Bay Puerto Plata!

Thanks for your encouraging update! We're scheduled to dock in Puerto Plata in February. I'm hopeful that any minor problems at the port will have been worked out by then. Cheers!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

Definitely open.  Was there today (NCL Encore).  Will try to remember to post pics when we get home.

Great! We are going on the Encore Jan.11th on our1/9/22 cruise..BTW, what is the mask situation like on the Encore for your cruise? Are they being strict or lenient? What do you think of the this new port in the DR? Thanks!! 

Big Al

• Like 1

We docked at Puerto Plata yesterday (12/31/21 - Celebrity Reflection). The port is absolutely beautiful! We walked all the way to the end to the taxi area inside the port. We paid $40 roundtrip for 4 people to go to Playa Dorado. Beautiful beach, nice safe area, free beach chairs, beach waiter service, good restaurant & bar. Bathrooms were very clean. This isn’t a calm water area, but the waves were fun. The taxi drivers stay at the beach the whole time you’re there. The ride to the beach took about 15 minutes, but the return drive was about 30 minutes. We wore masks in the port, taxi, & restaurant.

8B8AA9C9-7038-45B2-B5AD-C6BB52CB7DF4.jpeg

E746D095-4F15-4E19-B2C7-EA67503543EC.jpeg

FAA93DB4-1472-4585-B3FD-4D5988B7BDF6.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 10:27 AM, bookbabe said:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2821452-taino-bay-at-puerto-plata/

My comments on Taino Bay are in the thread linked above.  

They really aren't being strict about masks at all this week on Encore.  Compliance seems about 50-50.

A couple of questions. Would you say you could spend the day at Taino Bay? I was looking to do the waterfall tour but I am worried about booking and ports/dates changing.  Did they require masks in the stores at port?

Thank you for posting. You really got me to stick to a decision to do my cruise on 1/23 on the Encore!

8 minutes ago, Annies88 said:

A couple of questions. Would you say you could spend the day at Taino Bay? I was looking to do the waterfall tour but I am worried about booking and ports/dates changing.  Did they require masks in the stores at port?

Thank you for posting. You really got me to stick to a decision to do my cruise on 1/23 on the Encore!

If you only wanted to sit in a lounger enjoying the sun and sipping a beverage, and maybe splash in the pool for a bit, yeah, I suppose you could spend a whole day there.  The shopping wouldn’t use up more than an hour or so, then maybe another half hour for the monkeys.

They did have a booth at the end of the pier where you could book tours, or if you book through the ship they’ll refund you if the port changes.  That might be a better plan if you aren’t sure. 

• Like 1

Just came off the NCL Encore, where first out port was cancelled at PP for Tuesday, then after St. Thomas & Tortola were also cancelled, NCL reinstated PP and we went last Thursday..DW & I were impressed with PP..very nice pool area & the shops were open & nice..tour agent told us the whole port area should be finished by summer 2022..nice excursion called "Party At Sea", which was a snorkel / cruise around on a catamaran type of excursion...would go back again easily..

Big Al

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, DuckTollerFans said:

Is the pool area specifically for NCL (free?)  or is this a separate excursion?

The pool area is for all cruise lines...and yes, it's free..

Edited by big al
added sentence..
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1