Insurance or other assistance

gzjax

I am sorry is this is a stupid or insensitive question, but.  My step-father died in Feb this year, my mom just passed away. They will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery this spring with no exact date, yet. Not sure how much notice we will get. My Alaskan cruise is scheduled for June 3, 2022.  Anyone know of any insurance that would cover this if the funeral would happen during the cruise?  I have not bought insurance yet, and my insurance company has a "cancel for any reason" but you had to buy it within 30 days of our initial payment. This will be our 6th cruise, so we have a little knowledge. I booked this cruise on March 15, 2020 after turning around for COVID reasons 2 days into a 10 day eastern Caribbean cruise with a Future Cruise Credit. So it has been a while since we booked it.  

Thanks

Sorry for your loss.

A 3rd party insurance company is not going to insure an anticipated event.

Your best bet would be to buy your insurance from the cruise line itself. Those policies do include a CFAR benefit. In most cases, it's a 75% future cruise credit. In 1 instance (Princess Platinum) it's 100%.

However, make sure you notify the insurance company first before you call the cruise line to cancel if you are going to use the CFAR benefit. Just to ensure you cancel properly.

You did not mention the cruise line. If it is Holland America, they offer 90% back in cash if you cancel for any reason.  This best CFAR coverage I have seen anywhere for cash back.  As  klfrodo says, many other lines offer 75 to 100% as a future cruise credit.  Several lines do not offer any CFAR coverage. Typical third party CFAR policies offer CFAR at 75% back in cash.  

The HAL plan has no covered reasons, so all cancelations are treated the same (90% of the non-refundable payments to HAL).  A third party CFAR plan would also include other non-refundable travel expenses not paid to HAL.

I would definitely check the cruise line coverage first.  Also, if you need other coverage such as medical, most cruise line policies are very limited.  Be sure to know what you are purchasing in advance.

3 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

You did not mention the cruise line. If it is Holland America, they offer 90% back in cash if you cancel for any reason.  This best CFAR coverage I have seen anywhere for cash back.  As  klfrodo says, many other lines offer 75 to 100% as a future cruise credit.  Several lines do not offer any CFAR coverage. Typical third party CFAR policies offer CFAR at 75% back in cash.  

The HAL plan has no covered reasons, so all cancelations are treated the same (90% of the non-refundable payments to HAL).  A third party CFAR plan would also include other non-refundable travel expenses not paid to HAL.

I would definitely check the cruise line coverage first.  Also, if you need other coverage such as medical, most cruise line policies are very limited.  Be sure to know what you are purchasing in advance.

Does the HAL CFAR coverage include "trip interruption" as well?

If so, how is the maximum benefit calculated for this?

GC

21 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Does the HAL CFAR coverage include "trip interruption" as well?

If so, how is the maximum benefit calculated for this?

GC

Trip Interruption maximum is150% of the cruise cost.  This (and the 90% cancelation) are for the "platinum" plan. As I implied before, all cancelations before trip departure are covered at 90%.  So no matter what the reason, you will never get back 100%.

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/HAL_LandingPage.html 

Also, HAL's medical limit is only $10K.  So, it is a good plan for cancelation, but very poor if you are sick or injured while on the trip.  Unfortunately, most cruise line's medical limits are $10-$25K pp. Viking is the exception I am aware of.  Their medical limit is $100K. Viking also offers a 100% CFAR as a future cruise credit.

5 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

We will be on RCI. It is good to know about the medical and I will look. Thank you all. You gave me another resource to look into, which is the cruise line. And my wife told me to call them... (should have listened)...

16 hours ago, gzjax said:

We will be on RCI. It is good to know about the medical and I will look. Thank you all. You gave me another resource to look into, which is the cruise line. And my wife told me to call them... (should have listened)...

RCI's plan has improved in the past year.  CFAR is now a 90% future cruise credit (up from 75%). Medical is still low, but it is now $25K (up from $10K).  Unfortunately it is probably too late for you to purchase most (if not all) third party CFAR plans.  Many cruise line plans let you purchase up to final payment. I'm not sure of RCI's policy.

https://www.archinsurancesolutions.com/coverage/Royal