Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shirleygr

Back from Fascination 4 night~?'s

Hey, I'm back from our family cruise. I'll be posting a full review later this week (gotta tame that laundry monster first!) icon_rolleyes.gif

If you have specific questions, ask and I'll do my best to answer. BTW, it was a good cruise-not the best, but certainly not the worst-I'll post all the details later!

Shirley

cruising-courtesy-kindness

Family Cruise on Fascination . . . May 3, 2004

NCL Majesty 11/98

CCL Ecstasy 1/01

CCL Fascination 11/01

CCL Fascination 4/03

RCI Majesty of the Seas 8/03

CCL Imagination 12/03

CCL Fascination 5/04

Okay, here you go. First of all, our little group:

16 and 12 yo sons, 4 yo daughter (she had her birthday on the ship), dh and myself (early 40's).

This was my daughter's first cruise, third for the boys, 7th for me, 6th for my husband, third time on the Fascination.

Overall, it was a good cruise, not outstanding, but not too much to complain about either. The ship looked nice, but the crew seemed tired. The food, for the most part was good. We had dinner our Cozumel night in the Coconut Grove and it was pretty dismal. Thank goodness for the pizza! The dining room food was very good, but service could have been better, especially at breakfast and lunch. We had an awesome cabin steward, whose name I can't begin to spell, but she was very nice and prompt. The activities were fun, the drinks were good and the ports were really nice. My younger kids enjoyed Camp Carnival and my older son had a good time hanging out in the teen club as well.

Not so good: Carnival has changed policy concerning special occassions. You are now required to buy a cake from the Formalities shop to have in the dining room. Unfortunately, no-one informed us of this before hand. This was a birthday cruise for both my boys and my daughter. We were supposed to have a cake on formal night, but it never arrived. The kids were in a hurry to get to Camp Carnival, so we just blew it off. It wasn't until Thursday morning, when I spoke to the asst maitre d' to make sure there was going to be a cake for my daughter that night, that I found out about this new policy. I booked directly with Carnival and will be complaining to my pvp about this.

Key West we went to the butterfly conservatory which was beautiful and enjoyable for everyone, even my too cool teen. In Cozumel, we went to Paradise Beach which wasn't crowded and had great service, beers and lunch (spent less than $70 for the whole crowd!) My 16 yo got henna tattoos and my daughter collected shells to bring to preschool. My 12 yo had a great time on the trampoline and the iceberg.

We relaxed and had a nice day at sea. Let me know if I can answer specific questions.

Shirley

3-Night Quickie Anniversary Cruise on Majesty of the Seas . . . January 7, 2005

NCL Majesty 11/98

CCL Ecstasy 1/01

CCL Fascination 11/01

CCL Fascination 4/03

CCL Imagination 12/03

CCL Fascination 5/04

RCI Majesty of the Seas 1/05

We are going over Thanksgiving week on the Fascination and booked a cat. 12 balcony suite. What room did you all get? Was it nice? We are going with friends and family, and hope we can find chairs around the pool together. How was the pool? You said you ate in the dining room, how were the buffets? Night life? Was thinking of going to San Francisco beach in Cozumel, but not sure where it is. Where was Paradise?

Sorry, for all the questions, thanks for all the answers!!

Beth

Carnival - Sensation

4/00

RCC - Sovereign of the Seas

12/02

RCC - Majesty of the Sea

11/03

Up and coming Carnival Fasination on 11/22/04

Hi, bhardy1.

We were on the Empress deck, we had an outside and the kids were in an inside across the hall, cabins E163 and E165. The cabins were very nice. I had the kids cabin decorated for their birthdays and my little girl loved the streamers and all.

We found deck chairs by the kids pool with no problem, but when I took my 12 yo up to the main pool so he could do the slide, there were no chairs to be found and I ended up sitting on one of the benches by the pool to watch him.

The buffets at breakfast and lunch were good, but as I said, the one night we ate there, I found it very disappointing. We went to one show, Hollywood, and that was about it. We missed the opening night show because my daughter crashed early, same on Thursday night. I fell asleep before midnight, so didn't make either of the comedy shows (Gosh, I sound like an old fuddy duddy, don't I?) We did do drinks at the bar on the promenade deck and that was really nice because it's nonsmoking. The music there was also enjoyable.

Paradise Beach is right next to San Francisco and I highly recommend it. If you go to the Ports of Call section on CC and go to Cozumel, you can find lots more info.

If I can answer anything else, let me know.

Shirley

NCL Majesty 11/98

CCL Ecstasy 1/01

CCL Fascination 11/01

CCL Fascination 4/03

CCL Imagination 12/03

CCL Fascination 5/04

We had a cat 12, U89. It was great! Very large and wonderful balcony. Here is a link to a picture

http://www.cruiseweb.com/CARNIVAL-FASCINATION-ACCOMMODATION.HTM

Unlike the OP, we had great dining room experiences, both the food and the staff. I found the crew incredibly friendly.

You'll have a blast! ANd don't forget Skippers Club check in with your cat 12.

Victory 8/5

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;08;05;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

SS France 1965

SS France 1969

Cunnard Princess 1986

Fascination April 5 2004

Victory August 5 2004

Thanks, shirleygr and trinaLC!

I can't wait, I have never had a balcony!

Thanks for the information and the picture of the suite!!

Beth

Carnival - Sensation

4/00

RCC - Sovereign of the Seas

12/02

RCC - Majesty of the Sea

11/03

Up and coming Carnival Fasination on 11/22/04

Thanks for posting Fascination reviews! icon_biggrin.gif

My DH & I are going on our first cruise May 21, but leaving the 3 children home. Hoping DH will love it so he will let me book another cruise for later this year for the whole family. icon_cool.gif I would of booked another already but he says not yet! icon_frown.gif

First time cruisin!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;21;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until Carnival Fascination 5/21/04 Bahamas

I'm sure you'll all have a great time. We had such a wonderful cruise on the Imagination this past December that I think we were perhaps a bit spoiled. By no means did we have a bad time and perhaps I'm nit picking, but certain things were just not up to my expectations.

Having done three cruises now with my kids, I can tell you that crusing with the children is a different experience; not bad, but different. I think a lot depends on the ages of your kids, as well. The first two we did with kids were with our older children only and those cruises were very different from this past cruise with my 4 yo daughter. Younger kids are higher maintenance, so we couldn't be quite as spontaneous as in the past. I told my hubby what I'd like to do is two cruises every year, one with the kids and one without. So, we'll be doing a short cruise in January sans kids and a family cruise next spring, probably out of NY.

Anyway, I'm babbling. icon_rolleyes.gif Gotta go give my littles a bath. If I can answer any more questions for anyone, go ahead and ask.

Shirley

NCL Majesty 11/98

CCL Ecstasy 1/01

CCL Fascination 11/01

CCL Fascination 4/03

CCL Imagination 12/03

CCL Fascination 5/04

We are cruising the Fascination on May 17th and were thinking of doing Paradise beach. Do you know if snorkeling is available there and do they rent the equipment?

I can't wait!!!!

icon_smile.gif Kerry

Fascination 5/17/04

Holiday 9/03

Fantasy 1/03

Yes, snorkeling gear is available. You give them a deposit (think it was $20) and they return it to you when you return their equipment. We were busy with the kids, so neither DH or myself did any snorkeling, can't comment on the quality of what you'll see in the water. I saw other people using the equipment, though, and it looked new. Hope this helps and have a great time. I hope you see this before you leave!

Shirley

NCL Majesty 11/98

CCL Ecstasy 1/01

CCL Fascination 11/01

CCL Fascination 4/03

CCL Imagination 12/03

CCL Fascination 5/04

Thanks for posting this review. The Fascination was our first cruise and we really loved her. If you remember, who was the Cruise Director?

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

The cruise director was Matt Ross, who was the cruise director on the Imagination when we sailed her in December. He is very entertaining and we enjoyed seeing him on the Fascination.

Shirley

3-Night Anniversary Cruise on Majesty of the Seas . . . January 7, 2005

Cruising with my girls from NY on the Dawn . . . May 1, 2005

NCL Majesty 11/98

CCL Ecstasy 1/01

CCL Fascination 11/01

CCL Fascination 4/03

CCL Imagination 12/03

CCL Fascination 5/04

We will be going on the Fascination (again) in Oct. She was our 2nd cruise for myself and hubby and 1st with the kids 2 years ago (then 10 yr old twins and a 2 yr old). That time we had a Cat. 12 and our twin daughters loved the balcony. They sat out there and did their homework that they missed due to us cruising in Sept.

This time we'll be in an inside so no balconies for homework but I'm sure they won't mind setting aside 30 mintues each day to sit in their stateroom to do homework. icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

In Cozumel we snorkeled and dove with Eagle Ray. That was fun. My husband wants to do that again. Good folks there.

I just want to park it by the softserve icecream machine! Yum!

Frances

<A HREF="http://www.ncvaughan.homestead.com/bahamascruise.html" TARGET=_blank>

Carnival Victory 6/8/03</A>

Fascination 9/2/02

Imagination 8/2/01

Shrlygrl

how did you get to paradise beach? Taxi? $?

And in another installment of its a small world, I gre up in BPT, left in 1978 for the hills of NH as a 13yo.

Thanks for the info.

We leave in 6 days..............

We were there a little while back- yes you take a taxi- about a 10 min ride.

12.00 per taxi each way- no matter how many people are in the taxi. The rates are pre-set.

We had a very nice relaxing afternoon there!

Is that Allen Park, Michigan Bhardy1? We are in Toledo and will also be on the Fascination for theThanksgiving cruise. This will be our 13th cruise but we will have a first timer in the group this time too. There will be six of us - all adults but wide age range, 25 to 75). You will love the Cat12. We had one on the sister ship Immagination several years ago and it was one of our best cruises. I do have a question about the ship's interior shirleygr. I heard that it has been refurbished since the last time we were on board. Did they get rid of all the mannequins? They were starting to look a little shabby. How much does the rest of the ship show its age? --Don