Christmas in Antarctica on the Silver Cloud Dec 21-Jan5

WesW

Silver Cloud Behind the Scenes Crew Member Profile.

Thes crew work behind the scenes and normally do not get told Thank you by Silversea guests. you will find these hardworking crew on the laundry, Galley, Engine room, night auditor, deck washing team and mostly below deck

Today, let’s meet Nurul Yakin, the Silver Cloud Laundry Master.

Yakin, is married to the beautiful Rachda Kairna and they have one precious daughter, six year old Athar Rizky

Yakin is from Indonesia in province of East Java.  Yakin and his family live in the town of Bangkalan on the western coast of Madura Island in Indonesia.

As Laundry Master, Yakin supervises a five person team responsible for all guest and crew Landry.  The Laundry team processes nearly 700 pieces of laundry daily including; guest laundry, crew laundry, uniforms, lines (table, bed).

When asked what their toughest duty or most challenging laundry duty is; Yakin says when they have to care for and dry clean a woman’s guest’s fine dress.

Yakin began working for Silversea in 2013, he is an eight year Silversea crew member.  When asked what his favorite ship to serve on, Yakin said the Silver Muse.

When asked what he enjoys most about working, serving as a crew member on Silversea, Yakin said being part of the Laundry team, the Silver Cloud crew, he says are all very friendly—like we are one family.  And Yakin likes to cruise the world for free—well for his hard earned labor anyway.

Thank you Yakin! — in Antarctica.

11D99216-7B81-458D-B678-B732B95BB038.jpeg

D287797E-234B-47B5-9380-9ECF4B3EB6D9.jpeg

784315E2-19A0-4ADB-A773-1C155790FCA0.jpeg

835F4F7F-6E05-4D9C-986B-65C272F8CC92.jpeg

• Like 15

23 hours ago, WesW said:

Silver Cloud Behind the Scenes Crew Member Profile.

This is such a thoughtful thing for you to do!  These hard working people are often forgotten by many cruisers.  Yet, their efforts help provide all of us cruisers with the type of experience that keeps us returning.  Thank you!  

• Like 3

On 12/26/2021 at 6:42 AM, taxatty said:

Drake Passage was about a 5 on a 10 scale according to Danny, the Expedition leader (what a great sonorous voice he has!). The most uncomfortable rocking and rolling was mostly overnight with things sliding around a little on shelves and tables, but nothing terrible.

Just had "mid-cruise" morning antigen test in lieu of morning Zodiac trip to Portal Point on the Antarctic Peninsula that we were told was cancelled due to too much sea ice blocking the landing point. Portal Point was described to us as a scenic stop without much wildlife expected to be present, and since it was snowing/raining this morning and was quite hazy, there probably wouldn't have been much to see anyway.

Masks are required everywhere on the ship unless you're in your cabin or actively eating or drinking, and while on Zodiacs.

Kayaks require attendance at a safety briefing, then each kayaking location is announced in advance and you sign up for each one separately and then check to see if you've been selected.

No one on board has mentioned the prior COVID Cloud issues, but the entire crew is obviously aware of it.

My highlight is in RED.  We were on the Previous Cloud sailing..... What a mess it was. 

We had a terrific Zodiac landing at Portal Point, Antarctica on board Silversea Silver Cloud.  We took in stunning 360 magnificent Antarctic  views that are touched on in the photos shown.

Please enjoy a few photos of the Silver Cloud and us with smiles that reflect how lucky we are to be able to visit this wonderful Continent.

29F9A150-64EB-43B0-9B80-076C1A85142C.jpeg

D799AD0C-DAE0-41B7-91CE-C2AE345FB9D5.jpeg

9A1AA82F-B6A9-41D7-BEA8-DBCEA8329DE8.jpeg

4CA5341F-E787-43FE-AF6A-DB577110A4BD.jpeg

2D4D68F7-EB2D-4A69-AAEF-E6032D4485CA.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 7

Let’s meet another Behind the Scenes Silversea Silver Cloud crew member.  These are the hardworking crew that guests rarely see and generally don’t get told “Thank You.”

Today we meet the Silver Cloud Chef de Partie, William Dollentas.

William is from Bacoor Cavite City in the Philippines.  He has been married to the beautiful Michelle for 18 years.  William and Michelle have two precious daughters.  Galathea Venice is17, and her younger sister Cassandra Payton is 5 years old.  He keeps in touch with his family via Facebook messenger and the Philippine message service Viber.

William has been with Silversea for 11 years.  His favorite ship is the Explorer because it is so small you get to know well all the crew from the bridge to the engine department.

As Chef de Partie, William has responsibility for the Cold Pantry and assists with the Hot Pantry.  He has a three member team; two assistant cooks and one night cook.  They prepare all salads, cold cuts, slice fruit, and canapés for the crew, officer and all guests. One of his assistant cook’s prepares the cold buffet, seven different salad dressings, and slice cold cuts for display.  The other assistant cook prepares the breakfast buffet for the crew, officer and guests.  The night cook slices seven fruits (watermelon, honey dew, cantelope, pineapple, orange, grapefruit, and mango) and he prepares smoothies, vita-mix.  William and his team assist will room service orders too.

So next time you are enjoying sliced bananas, mango or any fruit, please think of the assistant cook who prepares them for you.

When asked what his toughest duty has been since working on board he said it was when he was a Butcher.  As Butcher he had to slice meats and filet fish for all crew, guests, and officers.  He worked from 5am to 10 pm when cutting meat, filleting fish.

William like Silversea since the promote within the crew, Silversea took good care of us during Covid providing financial support and getting Silversea crew back to work. He likes that Silversea treats all crew like family.

Also, kudos to the Silver Cloud Hotel Director, Henry Fongern, for finding these behind the scenes crew members.

Thank You William — in Antarctica.

3453C756-B6EA-4BF1-86F7-6259E5AC905E.jpeg

AB1E6432-A9AD-43B4-B214-0DC63594010F.jpeg

8EA6D01B-E6D3-4A5D-B2C6-48F7F4ACA88A.jpeg

DBF1A3EB-FA83-4DB2-970C-EFA5388637F7.jpeg

• Like 9

Good Morning Elephant Island,  Antarctica!

Elephant Island may be Antarctic’s best known location due to the exploits of its early explorers, like Sir Earnest Shackelton

Alas, sea and swells won’t allow us a Zodiac landing before we head to the Falkland Islands.  However, the Silversea Silver Cloud Captain Portillo is giving us a 360 look at the Island.  

We viewed Endurance Glacier taking its name from Sir Earnest’s ship—Endurance. Another view we saw as close as the Silver Cloud could manage was of Wild Point Wild, the Spot where Sir Earnest and his 28 crew members camped for four and a half months of the then Antarctic Winter.

Please enjoy a few photos of Elephant Island. — in Elephant Island, Antarctica.

EC723D42-E3D3-4E47-9758-29C387F33760.jpeg

0CD35097-D619-45D0-B80F-4E6E22871846.jpeg

46F6DC85-973F-4626-8133-A145B2EFC6C2.jpeg

D33E2AC5-AC6D-40BB-AC47-A17E95178892.jpeg

Edited by WesW
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

thanks 

Polar Plunge photos 

We plunged in about 30 degrees Fahrenheit with an outside temperature of 34 degrees Fahrenheit.

Shown below are Ida and I plunging in the frigid Antarctica/Southern ocean from the Zodiac launching platform on the Silversea Silver Cloud.  We dared to dip/jump/dive into the icy seas at the end of the earth.

The Silver Cloud presented us with wonderful Polar Plunge Certificates signed by Captain Pontillo and Expedition Leader Danny Edmunds.

credit to Antarctica Allan the Silver Cloud’s photographer for the excellent Polar Plunge photos. — with Ida Weiner in Antarctica.

26388AE4-D677-4F0F-9794-EAC272330591.jpeg

196E9982-AF66-4FB7-853B-C7985835A3E1.jpeg

4E648008-EA57-4B32-8459-4271C3DF1756.jpeg

B6DBFA6A-0282-425A-984E-DEE808DFCDE1.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 12/20/2021 at 8:10 AM, kimanjo said:

We were on the Cloud Nov 14th sailing, and from start to finish, we totaled 7 tests... Both PCR and Rapids.  Don't regret a single minute of it!  Trip of a lifetime. 

How often did they test you on the ship? Was it at random or any time there was a suspected case? appreciate the info! we are scheduled in a couple of weeks on the Explorer

• Like 1

You have posted pictures showing fantastic weather! 

Thank you for all your posts.

To me, going into a pool heated to anything less than 86 degrees is equivalent to a 'polar plunge', so when and if  I get to Antarctica, I will pass on that activity 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I see Danny Edmunds is the Expedition Leader.   I've sailed with him many times - including an ill-fated trip to South Georgia aboard the Island Sky; also, helping passengers land on a beach in New Guinea poor Danny's Nikon took a dip and was ruined.  He was fun to be with and did everything he could for his flock.

• Like 1

flydc ; your butler will take your temperature daily. Everyone was tested (antigen) mid cruise by Zodiac group took about 15 minutes.We will all be tested the day before we disembark (january 4). The two med techs who give the antigen test are on board with us for entire cruise 

fletcher; Danny is doing an outstanding EL job and has had his expedition team flex twice to get us to a reasonable landing or zodiac cruise site

Galka; please ask any ? will be glad to reply

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

Let’s meet another Behind the Scenes Silversea Silver Cloud crew member.  These are the hardworking crew that guests rarely see and generally don’t get told “Thank You.”  Melisa is in charge of the Silver Cloud Officer’s Mess.

Maria Melisa Marcelinho, hails from Tanauan City Batangas in the Philippines.

Melisa has been married to Ferdinand (also the. Carpenter on board the Silver Cloud) for 11 years.  The have three wonderful children; Eurie age 11, Eunice Evan age 8, and Erich age 5.  Melisa and Ferdinand keep in touch with their children when working on board with Facebook and Facebook Messenger.

Melisa started with Silversea in 2007 and is now working on her fifth contract.

In charge of the Officer’s mess, Melisa sets up the food buffet for 50 officers for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Set sets up the tables, replenishes the buffet with food when required, and cleans up the officers mess after each meal.

Melisa tells me her most challenging duty is preparation for each meal, and making sure the buffet is replenished when the officers all come to eat at the same time.

When asked what she likes about working on Silversea, she loves that Silversea keeps husbands and wives together on the same ship.  I know this from my experience doing these behind the scenes crew profiles for about ten years, having interviewed Marion and Rowena Arsenio (her cousin).  Melisa also likes that Silversea cares for the crew like they are one family.

Let’s all say “ThankYou,” to Melisa!

E499E7EA-F021-49EC-8F74-7102C1B137A2.jpeg

A6A031E4-4A87-4957-A04F-EBA1D7A4C18E.jpeg

22B9BB39-6D65-4EC5-AC7A-26A66505D295.jpeg

F08F9DB6-E6FD-42CA-B18B-4B0D3A981B34.jpeg

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

To me, going into a pool heated to anything less than 86 degrees is equivalent to a 'polar plunge', so when and if  I get to Antarctica, I will pass on that activity 😳

It actually felt colder standing outside the ship waiting to jump than being in the freezing water for 5 seconds. The Maker's Mark and other spirits waiting for the post-plungers was most welcomed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, taxatty said:

It actually felt colder standing outside the ship waiting to jump than being in the freezing water for 5 seconds. The Maker's Mark and other spirits waiting for the post-plungers was most welcomed.

Agree. Having done 3 Polar Plunges now, the one on Cloud was hands-down the coldest I've ever done. The inside area where you wait on Cloud is absolutely freezing! It's fairly open so minimal protection from the elements. Then you have to wait outside on the Zodiac platform where they wrap the freezing-cold wet harness around your bare skin. It was a relief to jump in the water.

It took me more than 30 minutes to warm up afterwards. I was almost cold enough to have a shot of the firewater which was on offer but I took a long hot shower instead.

Somehow the process seemed less painful on Explorer. Maybe the indoor area was more sheltered, or warmer, or the weather was warmer. Or maybe I was 10 years younger and more (fool)hardy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1