Jump to content

BOOSTER NEEDED FOR CARIBBEAN


jipsy
 Share

Recommended Posts

I received an email from P&O at 3pm this afternoon stating that they are updating their vaccination policy and anyone over the age of 18 who hasn't had a booster, will not be allowed to embark.

One of our party cannot have her booster yet and now our holiday plans are ruined.

Anyone else had this?

Was due to sail on 3rd Jan on Ventura's 35 night Caribbean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, we are on the same trip...just got this.

 

Dear Guest, we cannot wait to welcome you on board but first, we need to make you aware of an important 

update to our vaccination policy which supersedes all previous policies

As the guidance from the UK Government evolves and the entry requirements from countries across the world change on a regular basis, we continue to work with authorities across all the destinations we visit to ensure we comply with their local protocols

Given the length and complexity of this itinerary, to continue to best protect the health and well-being of our guests, crew and the communities we visit, we have updated our vaccination policy for your voyage.

In order to travel on your voyage, all guests must be fully vaccinated with a booster vaccination at least seven days prior to travel. The definition of "fully vaccinated" being having completed an approved two dose Covid-19 vaccination course with a third booster vaccination (approved by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) or the World Health Organization's Emergency Use Listing (WHO EUL)), or the approved single-dose Janssen Covid-19 vaccine with a booster. A single or double dose of any other vaccine will not be accepted

All guests will also require a negative Covid-19 test prior to boarding, further details on this will be communicated to you separately

Should you, or any guests on your booking, not meet the requirements of the vaccine policy at the point of your sailing, you are entitled to a free-of-charge transfer to any other voyage currently on sale or a 100% cash refund on the monies paid to date on your booking. To transfer your booking or request a refund, please contact your travel agent or call us directly on 0344 338 8633 at your convenience. No immediate action is required but please do contact us before you are due to sail

Alternatively, if you would like a 100% cash refund on the monies paid to date on your booking then please contact your 

travel agent, or us if you booked direct.

 

For further information on our flexible transfer policy, the latest information on our protocols and all information to help 

you plan for your holiday with us, please visit our Covid-19 Hub.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, jipsy said:

I received an email from P&O at 3pm this afternoon stating that they are updating their vaccination policy and anyone over the age of 18 who hasn't had a booster, will not be allowed to embark.

One of our party cannot have her booster yet and now our holiday plans are ruined.

Anyone else had this?

Was due to sail on 3rd Jan on Ventura's 35 night Caribbean.


Is the issue that the person had their 2nd jab less than 3 month ago? If not, as your cruise is still over 7 days away, they could get a booster at a vaccination centre tomorrow. Our local TV News was reporting tonight that whilst there were huge queues at the beginning of the week, there have been virtually no queues today and up to 15% of those who had booked a booster are not turning up. They put this down to people being concerned that they might get an adverse reaction to the jab over Christmas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:


Is the issue that the person had their 2nd jab less than 3 month ago? If not, as your cruise is still over 7 days away, they could get a booster at a vaccination centre tomorrow. Our local TV News was reporting tonight that whilst there were huge queues at the beginning of the week, there have been virtually no queues today and up to 15% of those who had booked a booster are not turning up. They put this down to people being concerned that they might get an adverse reaction to the jab over Christmas. 

Yes she cant have it because its not 3 months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jipsy said:

I received an email from P&O at 3pm this afternoon stating that they are updating their vaccination policy and anyone over the age of 18 who hasn't had a booster, will not be allowed to embark.

One of our party cannot have her booster yet and now our holiday plans are ruined.

Anyone else had this?

Was due to sail on 3rd Jan on Ventura's 35 night Caribbean.

Sorry that your cruise is ruined, but I can understand why P&O have done this for such a long cruise that will be predominantly older retired folk who will have had their booster. We were booked on this one but bailed out earlier as we regarded the risks as too great, however if we had stayed with it I would have been pleased with this new restriction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As reported on the other thread yesterday,  Saga require all cruisers to have had the booster for cruises from February onwards. I would think that P&O would have the same requirement for over 18s from, say, March next year.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife has not been able to get the booster because she's unwell at the moment with all the symptoms of covid but passed the DIY lateral flow. Doubt they will want her at the vaccination center, so wont be able to  go on the cruise either.

However we booked a long time ago, and think we would have to undergo quite a few extra onboard tests which we would have to pay for, and run the risk of being dumped on the quay if we at sometime pick up the virus. Certainly not the holiday we booked or wanted.

As we know the vaccination slips they give you is insufficient proof of booster and our certs only show 2 jabs. Dont believe the certs show 3 jabs unless its been updated. 

How can you even prove you have had a booster.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, belgrano2 said:

My wife has not been able to get the booster because she's unwell at the moment with all the symptoms of covid but passed the DIY lateral flow. Doubt they will want her at the vaccination center, so wont be able to  go on the cruise either.

However we booked a long time ago, and think we would have to undergo quite a few extra onboard tests which we would have to pay for, and run the risk of being dumped on the quay if we at sometime pick up the virus. Certainly not the holiday we booked or wanted.

As we know the vaccination slips they give you is insufficient proof of booster and our certs only show 2 jabs. Dont believe the certs show 3 jabs unless its been updated. 

How can you even prove you have had a booster.  


As you rightly say, the slips are not valid confirmation, but the NHS Covid Passport (or whatever it’s called) shows all your jab history, including booster, so that would be your proof. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, belgrano2 said:

My wife has not been able to get the booster because she's unwell at the moment with all the symptoms of covid but passed the DIY lateral flow. Doubt they will want her at the vaccination center, so wont be able to  go on the cruise either.

However we booked a long time ago, and think we would have to undergo quite a few extra onboard tests which we would have to pay for, and run the risk of being dumped on the quay if we at sometime pick up the virus. Certainly not the holiday we booked or wanted.

As we know the vaccination slips they give you is insufficient proof of booster and our certs only show 2 jabs. Dont believe the certs show 3 jabs unless its been updated. 

How can you even prove you have had a booster.  

The cert or the app shows the booster. If your wife has a negative lateral flow there is no reason she shouldn't have the vaccine, you could mention symptoms at the covid centre and be advised by a professional. However if you don't want to go on the cruise then you qualify for a refund as per P&O T&C's, but obviously your wife remains unboosted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

I believe that this only refers to Ventura on 3rd January due to itinerary.

At present this is the case. I believe the concern is more the two transatlantic crossings in the itinerary plus the risk that 8 days (time taken to sale from Southampton to the Caribbean) is a long time in the Covid world for restrictions to change. If Ventura arrives in the Caribbean and restrictions have changed, it could mean the whole ship being refused entry to an island. Once she laves Southampton, the dice is rolled on that and requesting the booster just reduces the risk of being turned away from an island.

4 hours ago, belgrano2 said:

My wife has not been able to get the booster because she's unwell at the moment with all the symptoms of covid but passed the DIY lateral flow. Doubt they will want her at the vaccination center, so wont be able to  go on the cruise either.

However we booked a long time ago, and think we would have to undergo quite a few extra onboard tests which we would have to pay for, and run the risk of being dumped on the quay if we at sometime pick up the virus. Certainly not the holiday we booked or wanted.

As we know the vaccination slips they give you is insufficient proof of booster and our certs only show 2 jabs. Dont believe the certs show 3 jabs unless its been updated. 

How can you even prove you have had a booster.  

As others have said, if LFT is negative - go to your vaccination centre. They have a medical checklist to go through before you get the booster anyway.

 

Again, the NHS does not show the booster but you might be pushing time for anyone needing to request a paper copy via 119.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

 

 

Again, the NHS does not show the booster but you might be pushing time for anyone needing to request a paper copy via 119.

The NHS app shows the booster, which can be saved as a pdf or printed off, each time you log in a new barcode is given with a 30 day shelf life from that time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The NHS app shows the booster, which can be saved as a pdf or printed off, each time you log in a new barcode is given with a 30 day shelf life from that time.

Spot on. WE did exactly that when Joining Iona on 11 December. 

 

Indeed, having a printed version helps speed the hole process and it was good to see so many sensible cruisers following suit.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We printed off all the necessary stuff for our staycation earlier this year and filed all the prints into a  folder with clear plastic pockets.  Just leave in the proof of jab letters and proof of insurance and replace old cruise docs with the next cruise docs.

 

Made the whole testing and check in process at the terminal much easier. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We printed off all the necessary stuff for our staycation earlier this year and filed all the prints into a  folder with clear plastic pockets.  Just leave in the proof of jab letters and proof of insurance and replace old cruise docs with the next cruise docs.

 

Made the whole testing and check in process at the terminal much easier. 

We save the documents to both smart phones, then to the cloud,we then print a number of copies for hand luggage and cases. We then send emails to both of our addresses attaching the documents. That should cover it , but if you can think of anything else 🤣

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"The NHS app shows the booster, which can be saved as a pdf or printed off, each time you log in a new barcode is given with a 30 day shelf life from that time."

But another states:"Again, the NHS does not show the booster but you might be pushing time for anyone needing to request a paper copy via 119."

The NHS web-page says:

When you can get a digital NHS COVID Pass for travel abroad When you can get a digital NHS COVID Pass for domestic events and venues

I think the confusion here is that if you ask for the domestic pass, as I did last week, it does not show the booster on it (I was mighty surprised!). I assume if you apply for the "travel abroad" one it will?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/get-digital-covid-pass/

Edited by bbtablet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2021 at 9:31 AM, belgrano2 said:

My wife has not been able to get the booster because she's unwell at the moment with all the symptoms of covid but passed the DIY lateral flow. Doubt they will want her at the vaccination center, so wont be able to  go on the cruise either.

However we booked a long time ago, and think we would have to undergo quite a few extra onboard tests which we would have to pay for, and run the risk of being dumped on the quay if we at sometime pick up the virus. Certainly not the holiday we booked or wanted.

As we know the vaccination slips they give you is insufficient proof of booster and our certs only show 2 jabs. Dont believe the certs show 3 jabs unless its been updated. 

How can you even prove you have had a booster.  

Belgrano 2…if your wife has symptoms she should be taking a PCR test. It is well known that the LTF tests often show negative results whilst PCR’s give a positive test. Hope she dfoesnt have Covid, but you really need to get that PCR test done. Also, if she has Covid symptoms within 14 days of the cruise, you will fail the Health questionaire, so sadly you will not be able to go, and will get FCC. In any event, I wish your wife well, and hope she doesnt have Covid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi. We are due to sail from Southampton on 20th Feb to Caribbean. Booked in July 21. We are fully vaccinated and I have booster. My Husband was caught up in the Novavax trail debacle. So he had 2 x Novavax vaccinations in 2020 (real not placebo), plus now (due to trial delays) 2 x Pfizer vaccinations. But, again due to Novavax delays his last Pfizer was on 27th November. So earliest he can have booster is 27th Feb. He needs it by 12 Feb ideally. Looks like we are not sailing.

 

To date we have not had an e mail from P&O, re booster but I think 11th February sailing has been notified.  Anyone else caught up in the Novavax / Booster predicament whereby delays on that  affected booster timing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gizmo19 said:

To date we have not had an e mail from P&O, re booster but I think 11th February sailing has been notified.  Anyone else caught up in the Novavax / Booster predicament whereby delays on that  affected booster timing?

We haven't had any notification regarding requiring the booster for the 11 Feb sailing which we are on so far.  Been waiting for the notifcation to land in the mailbox!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2021 at 2:11 PM, molecrochip said:

At present this is the case. I believe the concern is more the two transatlantic crossings in the itinerary plus the risk that 8 days (time taken to sale from Southampton to the Caribbean) is a long time in the Covid world for restrictions to change. If Ventura arrives in the Caribbean and restrictions have changed, it could mean the whole ship being refused entry to an island. Once she laves Southampton, the dice is rolled on that and requesting the booster just reduces the risk of being turned away from an island.

As others have said, if LFT is negative - go to your vaccination centre. They have a medical checklist to go through before you get the booster anyway.

 

Again, the NHS does not show the booster but you might be pushing time for anyone needing to request a paper copy via 119.

DO NOT go to your vaccination centre if you have any symptoms, LTFs are notoriously inaccurate just get a PCR.  One of the questions on the checklist is "Are you unwell with a fever" another is "Do you have any symptoms of Covid" we had a man last week who answered yes so we had to ask everyone to leave the building then we had to disinfect all of the chairs and tables while everyone in the queue had to stand outside in the rain.

IT IS SELFISH AND INCONSIDERATE TO KNOWINGLY PUT OTHERS AT RISK.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

DO NOT go to your vaccination centre if you have any symptoms, LTFs are notoriously inaccurate just get a PCR.  One of the questions on the checklist is "Are you unwell with a fever" another is "Do you have any symptoms of Covid" we had a man last week who answered yes so we had to ask everyone to leave the building then we had to disinfect all of the chairs and tables while everyone in the queue had to stand outside in the rain.

IT IS SELFISH AND INCONSIDERATE TO KNOWINGLY PUT OTHERS AT RISK.

I have always been asked these questions prior to being allowed to enter the vaccination centre, thus avoiding the actions you had to take.  Surely that makes more sense ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I have always been asked these questions prior to being allowed to enter the vaccination centre, thus avoiding the actions you had to take.  Surely that makes more sense ?

At our centre we have 5 volunteers asking the questions and recording the replies. Are you suggesting that we should spend 9-10 hours a day standing outside in inclement weather filling in the questionnaires ?  I know that I won't be volunteering if anyone suggests that and I suspect a lot of others would also stop volunteering in that circumstance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gizmo19 said:

Hi. We are due to sail from Southampton on 20th Feb to Caribbean. Booked in July 21. We are fully vaccinated and I have booster. My Husband was caught up in the Novavax trail debacle. So he had 2 x Novavax vaccinations in 2020 (real not placebo), plus now (due to trial delays) 2 x Pfizer vaccinations. But, again due to Novavax delays his last Pfizer was on 27th November. So earliest he can have booster is 27th Feb. He needs it by 12 Feb ideally. Looks like we are not sailing.

 

To date we have not had an e mail from P&O, re booster but I think 11th February sailing has been notified.  Anyone else caught up in the Novavax / Booster predicament whereby delays on that  affected booster timing?

On the basis that your husband has had four vaccinations, he will be fine. P&O are committed to accepting the official Government vaccine trial letter that your husband will have received as proof of two vaccines. He has then had another two.

 

Unless I've missed something, Novavax is due approval any day now for use in the UK, which should then simplify matters.

 

I understand your concern that its not two jabs + a booster, however four full strength jabs are better than 2 plus a booster. The same parallel is that, I believe, if you are a clinic vulnerable person who was given  a third vaccination (not booster) then you are also treated as having had a booster for these purposes.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...