BOOSTER NEEDED FOR CARIBBEAN

jipsy

18 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

At our centre we have 5 volunteers asking the questions and recording the replies. Are you suggesting that we should spend 9-10 hours a day standing outside in inclement weather filling in the questionnaires ?  I know that I won't be volunteering if anyone suggests that and I suspect a lot of others would also stop volunteering in that circumstance.

Alternative places must work differently. Our is maybe smaller but we were asked before we entered and the person did not note anything down. I admit it would not be good in inclement weather but she was standing at the door. 

6 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Alternative places must work differently. Our is maybe smaller but we were asked before we entered and the person did not note anything down. I admit it would not be good in inclement weather but she was standing at the door. 

All of the replies to the questions asked at our centre are recorded onto a computer system which down loads the data to an NHS database at the end of the day.

Regardless of whether or not the questions are asked outside or inside a vaccination centre it is still wrong to encourage people who have symptoms to go to ANY public place until they have had a negative PCR test it is encouraging the spread of this virus.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

On the basis that your husband has had four vaccinations, he will be fine. P&O are committed to accepting the official Government vaccine trial letter that your husband will have received as proof of two vaccines. He has then had another two.

Unless I've missed something, Novavax is due approval any day now for use in the UK, which should then simplify matters.

I understand your concern that its not two jabs + a booster, however four full strength jabs are better than 2 plus a booster. The same parallel is that, I believe, if you are a clinic vulnerable person who was given  a third vaccination (not booster) then you are also treated as having had a booster for these purposes.

Thanks for response.  Novavax is due for approval soon, but we have been hearing that since July 2021.  Although the 4 jabs in place would follow common sense, the fact that all our main vaccinations appear to wane in protection over time needs to be considered. But, the sudden need for that booster to be in place 7 days before sailing is very difficult for all those sailing out to the caribbean within the next few days. Equally, when we all booked our cruises, double jabbed was the requirement for P&O caribbean. It appears those effected to date received e mails from P&O.  We will just have to keep our fingers crossed. 

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

All of the replies to the questions asked at our centre are recorded onto a computer system which down loads the data to an NHS database at the end of the day.

Regardless of whether or not the questions are asked outside or inside a vaccination centre it is still wrong to encourage people who have symptoms to go to ANY public place until they have had a negative PCR test it is encouraging the spread of this virus.

I agree that this would be correct. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

At our centre we have 5 volunteers asking the questions and recording the replies. Are you suggesting that we should spend 9-10 hours a day standing outside in inclement weather filling in the questionnaires ?  I know that I won't be volunteering if anyone suggests that and I suspect a lot of others would also stop volunteering in that circumstance.

No, of course not, and I am in no way trying to be critical of the fantastic job you are doing.

But at the centre I used, the "door keepers" stood just inside, whilst I remained outside, and they basically asked if I had any symptoms, or been in contact with anyone who had. Only when I said No, was I allowed inside and directed to a desk where the full questionnaire was given.

So, all I am saying is that my testing centre uses a different system to yours,  and I am in no way belittling the work you are doing, just reporting my own experience.

2 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

Which is the same as my experience - a quick basic screening, not the full monte.

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, of course not, and I am in no way trying to be critical of the fantastic job you are doing.

But at the centre I used, the "door keepers" stood just inside, whilst I remained outside, and they basically asked if I had any symptoms, or been in contact with anyone who had. Only when I said No, was I allowed inside and directed to a desk where the full questionnaire was given.

So, all I am saying is that my testing centre uses a different system to yours,  and I am in no way belittling the work you are doing, just reporting my own experience.

Sorry Wowzz, I wrongly assumed that you were asked all of the questions at the door.  We do have someone on the door but he is there to control the queue and doesn't ask any questions.

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

DO NOT go to your vaccination centre if you have any symptoms, LTFs are notoriously inaccurate just get a PCR.  One of the questions on the checklist is "Are you unwell with a fever" another is "Do you have any symptoms of Covid" we had a man last week who answered yes so we had to ask everyone to leave the building then we had to disinfect all of the chairs and tables while everyone in the queue had to stand outside in the rain.

IT IS SELFISH AND INCONSIDERATE TO KNOWINGLY PUT OTHERS AT RISK.

I seem to have lost the ability to like posts again but Josy is absolutely correct. If you have symptoms but a negative LFT test book a PCR test to confirm your negative status before going anywhere near your vaccination centre.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Sorry Wowzz, I wrongly assumed that you were asked all of the questions at the door.  We do have someone on the door but he is there to control the queue and doesn't ask any questions.

If on car park/queue control we ask the basics, covid symptoms, close contact, had covid recently etc. The form is completed once inside. If yes to any of those they would be turned away. No one has ever said yes to me or anyone I have worked with as of yet. 100% honesty ???

57 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That was our experience as well, so presumably anyone answering yes would not be able to gain entry.

On 12/23/2021 at 10:27 PM, Rupert2251 said:

I believe that this only refers to Ventura on 3rd January due to itinerary.

No. I had a similar communication with regards to Aurora's Canary Is. cruise in April.

2 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

No. I had a similar communication with regards to Aurora's Canary Is. cruise in April.

The evidence seems to be that the efficacy of the booster jab is virtually zero after 10 weeks ,so not really sure why P&O are requiring it for a cruise over 13 weeks away.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

The evidence seems to be that the efficacy of the booster jab is virtually zero after 10 weeks ,so not really sure why P&O are requiring it for a cruise over 13 weeks away.

The reports I have seen suggest efficacy falls to around 40% after 10 weeks, not virtually zero, 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I have not seen any evidence to suggest this, there are reports around that efficacy may start to wane after 10 weeks, nobody knows yet how long efficacy against Omicron lasts as it has only been around since Nov. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I think the message is ‘keep fully jabbed if you want to cruise’.

I’m fully expecting a further booster sooner rather than later, and for P&O’s requirements eventually to change to ‘4 jabs’ or ‘booster within the last 3 months ‘.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

The reports I have seen suggest efficacy falls to around 40% after 10 weeks, not virtually zero, 

If that is the case,  then obviously the booster requirement is worthwhile. 

I'm trying to find the document that mentioned the zero efficacy level - it was looking at the efficacy levels based on what initial vaccines you received and what booster vaccine you received.

4 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think the message is ‘keep fully jabbed if you want to cruise’.

I’m fully expecting a further booster sooner rather than later, and for P&O’s requirements eventually to change to ‘4 jabs’ or ‘booster within the last 3 months ‘.

I totally agree.

6 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

We are also on this cruise but do not appear to have had a communication from P&O stating that a booster will now be required.  The emails we have had recently about this cruise state that all passengers must be "fully vaccinated" which they define as two doses!  We are delighted if they are now saying that a booster is required.

On 12/23/2021 at 7:23 PM, jipsy said:

I received an email from P&O at 3pm this afternoon stating that they are updating their vaccination policy and anyone over the age of 18 who hasn't had a booster, will not be allowed to embark.

One of our party cannot have her booster yet and now our holiday plans are ruined.

Anyone else had this?

Was due to sail on 3rd Jan on Ventura's 35 night Caribbean.

Were you just informed by email or were you also contacted by other means? It seems people were turned away earlier today when arriving for this cruise. If they do not have email they may not have been aware of the new requirements.

I was due to go on that cruise and my wife couldn't satisfy the time after being jabbed requirement so boarding was refused. However I did contact them beforehand and was offered a full refund.

Looking back my travel agent  sent out one email about it on the 23rd Dec, which was amongst many others so I was actually lucky to see it in my junk file just after Christmas. They then shut shop for an extended Christmas break. However at that time the main P and O website was stating only 2 jabs req. Not saying its wrong not to insist on 3, however having a Christmas decision to change standards at short notice was bound to catch many out, which it clearly did. 

Just feel really sorry for those that actually turned up at the ship with bags packed and full of expectation.  The communication from P and O  was non existent.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

It would be interesting to know how many pax Ventura sailed with yesterday.  

Very annoying for those that turned away on the quay and suitcases offloaded. What's more annoying is that it was completely preventable, had P and O, tried to phone every passenger when the rule was suddenly changed on 23rd Dec. Previous to that double jab was the requirement.

P and O sent no communication out at all...I got one from my booking agent. Of course if you see it late or don't see it at all, you have had it due to the requirement of being triple jabbed a week or so beforehand, so those turned up at the quay, could not be ferried away for a quick "emergency jab"  , and thus save the vacation.  

• Like 2

Plus they insist on the proper vax certification which you still would not be able to provide.  Terrible shame if you like many others travel many miles and often have stayed overnight in local hotel.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, belgrano2 said:

Very annoying for those that turned away on the quay and suitcases offloaded. What's more annoying is that it was completely preventable, had P and O, tried to phone every passenger when the rule was suddenly changed on 23rd Dec. Previous to that double jab was the requirement.

P and O sent no communication out at all...I got one from my booking agent. Of course if you see it late or don't see it at all, you have had it due to the requirement of being triple jabbed a week or so beforehand, so those turned up at the quay, could not be ferried away for a quick "emergency jab"  , and thus save the vacation.  

We're waiting for the email telling us that we need to be boosted for our February TA on Ventura.  Did a dummy booking and no mention there that boosters are required - yet.  Luckily we already are, but P&O ought to give people as much notice wherever possible.

• Like 2