Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aggie182

Conquest rescues Cubans

I lived in Galveston 19-20 years of my 25 years of life so I read the Galveston paper on the web sometimes in the mornings at work. Check out this story (link to story - http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=5b576eec0e70efc8):

The Daily News

Published February 21, 2006

A Carnival cruise ship that homeports in Galveston rescued 22 Cubans on Friday who became lost in international waters while attempting to reach the United States.

Carnival’s Conquest, which returned to the island Sunday after a weeklong cruise, rescued three children and 19 adults who were on a makeshift boat near the Mexican resort city of Cancun.

The cruise ship dropped the Cubans off on the nearly by island of Cozumel. Immigration authorities are discussing their fate, according to reports.

The Cubans were treated for dehydration but were otherwise in good health, according to reports.

Members of the rescued party told officials they left Havana to make their way to the United States.

Good Grief...Thats a long way off course..

Perhaps the cold front took them way off course :confused:

I hear Mexico is beautiful this time of year...........Maybe they can stay there. If they were dropped off in Texas, I think they'd be shipped back to Cuba.

I hear Mexico is beautiful this time of year...........Maybe they can stay there. If they were dropped off in Texas, I think they'd be shipped back to Cuba.

haha, no doubt, then Texas would be a terrible place for sending them back home.

That happened when we were on the Conquest 2/04. We stopped in the middle of the night and picked up nine Cubans. That was before we got to our first port. On the 6th day we stopped about 6am and they gave them to the Coast Guard. We slept through the whole thing but our best friends took pictures of it.

That happened when we were on the Conquest 2/04. We stopped in the middle of the night and picked up nine Cubans. That was before we got to our first port. On the 6th day we stopped about 6am and they gave them to the Coast Guard. We slept through the whole thing but our best friends took pictures of it.

Where do they keep them?

I thought there was some sort of US law that said if a Cuban refugee touched US soil they could stay?

I thought there was some sort of US law that said if a Cuban refugee touched US soil they could stay?

I think, if Carnival were to turn the refugees over to immigration authorities in Texas, they wouldnt technically have been admitted into the US yet..... They would still be in limbo.....Like a stowaway aboard a flight.......

but Im not an immigration expert.......

Where do they keep them?

I wondered the same thing. Where do they stay on board the ship?

I wondered the same thing. Where do they stay on board the ship?

I also wonder what they do with the makeshift boats their on? Just leave it floating out there?:rolleyes:

I also wonder what they do with the makeshift boats their on? Just leave it floating out there?:rolleyes:

They use them for Port Excursions. Captain John's Glass Bottom Party Boat..

They use them for Port Excursions. Captain John's Glass Bottom Party Boat..

OMG that's funny. :D

Do we even know for sure these were Cubans? I heard a rumor it was group that booked an independent tour on the island and missed the departure due to a flat tire. They feared the cost of airfare to the next port so they scrammbled and put together their makeshift speed boat and started paddling in hopes of catching the ship as it headed out of port.:rolleyes:

We were on an NCL cruise when we came across a boatload of

Cubans. There were 15-20 people in a very small boat. A CG helo came out and they talked with them. The refugees decided to keep trying for the states. The ship gave them food and water and fuel and they motored off. I had binocs with me but they were out of sight in minutes.

The rule is: If they get feet dry on US soil on their own, they can stay. otherwise they are returned to Cuba. Even if they are walking up the beach but still in the water, they are sent back. Have to reach dry land. Damn silly rule considering what they went thru to get close and what awaits them in Cuba.

Dan

The ironic thing is........

Pretty soon, there will be Americans in make-shift boats trying to leave this country to escape the political climate....

Imagine all those Pontiac Firebirds and Chevy Cameros lashed to rafts, floating from here to St. Maarten....

Hondas and Toyotas from the West Coast - heading back to Japan

The ironic thing is........

Pretty soon, there will be Americans in make-shift boats trying to leave this country to escape the political climate....

Imagine all those Pontiac Firebirds and Chevy Cameros lashed to rafts, floating from here to St. Maarten....

Hondas and Toyotas from the West Coast - heading back to Japan

I'll strap my chevy to a boat and head to a tropical location. Who's in?

And I thought all along they were talking about 22 Cigars someone threw overboard after having second thoughts of smuggling them into Galveston.:rolleyes:

And I thought all along they were talking about 22 Cigars someone threw overboard after having second thoughts of smuggling them into Galveston.:rolleyes:

Now that's funny!!!:D

This happens all the time. We picked up a raft of cubans on the way to the caribbean on the Carnival Valor back in October. I live in Miami and work and live around the Cuban community.

It's horrible that these people have to risk their lives to leave the country they love as well as leave their loved ones.

They do not get immunity when the ships pick them up. They get processed in America and shipped back to Cuba where their fate is left in the hands of Fidel Castro. To go back to this man's country and face the wrath of escaping his island and getting caught - well - you probably wish you had perished at sea.

Where do they keep them?

I was on this cruise, and never saw them. They were kept out of sight. Maybe in the infirmary???? We were told that the staff chipped in and provided them with clothing. When we reached Cozumel, they were granted asylum there. I think.

Where do they keep them?

I was on this cruise, and never saw them. They were kept out of sight. Maybe in the infirmary???? We were told that the staff chipped in and provided them with clothing. When we reached Cozumel, they were granted asylum there. I think.

I asked that earlier.......still wondering where they keep them. I guess no one on the board knows for sure....oh well. I'm going to ask a crew member on our next cruise.

I'll strap my chevy to a boat and head to a tropical location. Who's in?

Pile in! we can take my car.

vintage_amphicar_in_water.jpg

They kept them in the infirmary is what I was told. We were on that ship. Also heard Grand Cayman wouldn't take them & they were passed by 2-other ships. Don't know if this is fact or fiction.