Does travel insurance cover cost of cruise when flights to cruise are cancelled?

Pushkin

The language I have seen in policies specifies common carrier delays resulting from mechanical breakdown, adverse weather, or strike. Does it have to be caused by one of those three reasons? If the airline cancels because they do not have adequate crew to operate the flight, is that considered carrier delay if it is not named in the list of covered reasons?

What coverage applies if the common carrier delay causes one to miss the cruise?

1 hour ago, Babr said:

The language I have seen in policies specifies common carrier delays resulting from mechanical breakdown, adverse weather, or strike. Does it have to be caused by one of those three reasons? If the airline cancels because they do not have adequate crew to operate the flight, is that considered carrier delay if it is not named in the list of covered reasons?

What coverage applies if the common carrier delay causes one to miss the cruise?

Hi Babr,

A covered Trip Delay could turn into a Trip Cancellation. The plans I know best require that there is one of these:

A 12-24 hour shutdown of common carriers services

or

A Trip Delay that cause you to be delayed at least 50% of the length of your trip’s duration

> What coverage applies if the common carrier delay causes one to miss the cruise?

Depending on the length of the delay, one could also have a Trip Interruption where the coverage reimburses you the unused prepaid non-refundable value of your trip if you are forced to catch-up because you missed a portion of your trip for a covered reason.

Steve Dasseos

So, I take that to mean an airline cancellation for any reason is a carrier delay, even if it is not one of the three defined in the policy. Insurance is not involved at this point because the airline is obligated to reschedule, reimburse, or issue credit. Am I correct so far?

Is the passenger obligated to continue trying to find alternate transportation to the cruise departure? Is this where the trip delay clock begins? If one is delayed beyond departure, what documentation is required to file a valid claim for reimbursement of the missed cruise?

In recent instances, airlines have cancelled some flights because of staff shortages caused by COVID, but the airline itself did not completely shut down. How does one proceed if he finds himself sitting at the airport with a cancelled flight and no way to get to the embarkation point on time? 

Thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions. 

On 1/14/2022 at 7:22 AM, Babr said:

So, I take that to mean an airline cancellation for any reason is a carrier delay, even if it is not one of the three defined in the policy. Insurance is not involved at this point because the airline is obligated to reschedule, reimburse, or issue credit. Am I correct so far?

Is the passenger obligated to continue trying to find alternate transportation to the cruise departure? Is this where the trip delay clock begins? If one is delayed beyond departure, what documentation is required to file a valid claim for reimbursement of the missed cruise?

In recent instances, airlines have cancelled some flights because of staff shortages caused by COVID, but the airline itself did not completely shut down. How does one proceed if he finds himself sitting at the airport with a cancelled flight and no way to get to the embarkation point on time? 

Thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions. 

Hi Babr,

>  I take that to mean an airline cancellation for any reason is a carrier delay, even if it is not one of the three defined in the policy. Insurance is not involved at this point because the airline is obligated to reschedule, reimburse, or issue credit. Am I correct so far?

You are kind of close, although "common carrier" delay seems to be a catch-all for unspecified reasons. Here's what one company I know says:

a) any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the Common Carrier);
b) a traffic accident in which You or Your Traveling Companion is not directly involved (must be substantiated by a police report);
c) lost or stolen passports, travel documents or money (must be substantiated by a police report);
d) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, Natural Disaster, terrorism or riot;
e) a documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure.

While another company says:
(a) the Insured being delayed due to a traffic accident while en route to a departure as substantiated by a police report;
(b) the Insured’s or Traveling Companion’s lost or stolen passports, travel documents, or money;
(c) the Insured or Traveling Companion is quarantined;
(d) Natural Disaster;
(e) Injury, Sickness, or death of the Insured or Traveling Companion;
(f) Civil Disorder;
(g) hijacking;
(h) Common Carrier delay;
(i) reasons listed under Trip Cancellation and Interruption.

Is the passenger obligated to continue trying to find alternate transportation to the cruise departure?

The passenger should be looking for other flights. We tell people to look for alternatives before leaving home if they suspect they might be delayed.

Is this where the trip delay clock begins?

It begins where one is past their arrival time at their destination.

> If one is delayed beyond departure, what documentation is required to file a valid claim for reimbursement of the missed cruise?

The policy wording says what's needed. Here's typical wording:

"Obtain any specific dated documentation, which provides proof of the reason for delay (airline or Cruise line forms, medical statements, etc).

Submit this documentation along with Your Trip itinerary and all receipts from additional expenses incurred."

I hope this helps.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

ive been researching flight cancellation situations and i see insurance requires proof of the airline delay . so if you are at the airport does the person at the desk give you a letter saying your flight was delayed or cancelled? just curious the exact information people need to prove a flight was cancelled or delayed for X hours .

also how do you prove no other flights were available?

19 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

ive been researching flight cancellation situations and i see insurance requires proof of the airline delay . so if you are at the airport does the person at the desk give you a letter saying your flight was delayed or cancelled? just curious the exact information people need to prove a flight was cancelled or delayed for X hours .

When my flights got cancelled last year, I had to call the airline customer service line to request a letter of explanation from the carrier. Since I had status with the airline, my letter was emailed within minutes of request.