Pre-cruise hotels, transportation, restaurants, attractions-Anchorage/Seward/Kenai Peninsula

Mountaineer0313

We're booked September 9-16 on the Celebrity Millennium. We are flying into Anchorage on Monday September 5th. We land at about 8 pm. Our plan is to get a hotel for that night and catch the train to Seward at 6:45 the next morning, So I need a hotel, either near the airport or near the train station. Nothing fancy as it's only for the night. Advice on best transfer to the hotel, and best transfer to the train station. Also a must visit restaurant, since we will only be in Anchorage for that night.

Our plan is to rent a car when we get to Seward (I'd rent the car in Anchorage but the one way fee for rental cars is ridiculous, so I'd rather just take the train and then get the car in Seward). Would like recommendations on a hotel in Seward for 3 nights, doesn't need to be right in town since we'll have a car. Wanting to do a Major Marine tour while we're there, but open to any and all other recommendations on what to do. We went to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center last time, and I loved it, so we will probably drive up towards Girdwood and do that again, as well as sightsee and eat, but we have no problem driving in any direction for food and good scenery.

The 26 Glaciers Cruise from Whittier might be one to consider.  There is a National Park Visitor's Center overlooking a scenic area between Seward and Anchorage and I recall tours from there.  (Sorry, I can't recall the name and I have not been able to find it online.)  The Sealife Museum in Seward is well worth a visit.  

I wonder if @rkacruiser is referring to the Begich Boggs Visitor Center when mentioning a visitor center.

Just some random thoughts -- In Seward our preferred vendor is Major Marine.  Several years ago they purchased a hotel in Seward.  It was re-named and now is the Harbor 360.  The check in for Major Marine tours is now located in the lobby of the Harbor 360.  And, at least in the past, Major Marine has offered packages with a stay at the Harbor 360 and boat tour.

Another consideration is driving to Homer.  Homer is my favorite of these south-central communities on the road system.  If you take the morning train to Seward it would be easy to pick up the rental car and drive to Homer for one night before returning to Seward.  We like to stay at the condos associated with the Lands End Resort, but the resort is lovely too.

Following.....We are staying at a Bed/Breakfast in Anchorage for one night.  It is listed as Gardenside Bed & Breakfast.  Heather is the host.  I have read that Anchorage Taxi is good for transportation.  We plan on doing that from the airport and in the morning for the "early"😅 train.  Going with Major Marine and staying @ Breeze Inn/Seward.  

18 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I wonder if @rkacruiser is referring to the Begich Boggs Visitor Center when mentioning a visitor center.

Yes!  Thanks for listing its name.  I thought it was a very good Visitor Center with interesting displays.  

2 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

Glacier Brewhouse (casual)

You are correct!  A very good restaurant with good beers; reservations during the Summer season are strongly recommended.  For Breakfast, Snow City Cafe is very good and popular.  

• Like 1

We stayed at the Ship Creek Comfort Inn the night before our train ride to Seward.  Nothing too fancy but the proximity to the station was great!  We took their shuttle from the airport to the hotel.  

Hotel is close enough that we walked to dinner—ate at Glacier Brewhouse.  Good food, good vibes.  Definitely get reservations—we had them and got seated immediately.  Otherwise there was a 2 hour wait!  Stopped by Wild Scoops for some yummy ice cream (had to stand in line for about 15 minutes) for dessert on our walk back to Ship Creek.  Spent some time watching people fish at the creek.

Next morning, we passed on the hotel’s breakfast (were traveling Gold Star so had breakfast on train) and walked/rolled our suitcases to the train depot.  The hotel also had a shuttle to the depot that morning but we enjoyed the short (.3 mile) walk.

On another leg of our trip, we stayed at Hotel Captain Cook.  Nice hotel but not as convenient for train travel.  Further away from depot (about 1 mile, uphill, uneven pavement/sidewalks).  The Captain Cook did not have a shuttle to the depot nor the airport so had to take an Uber.  I heard that was due to Covid and staffing so it might be different now.

if traveling by train, I would definitely stay and recommend the Ship Creek Comfort Inn.

Yes, the Comfort Inn would be the most convenient to the train station.  The problem with dinner locations is your late arrival. Friday nights during the summer season may require a reservation as well as looking at what time the restaurants close. By the time you would get to your hotel and then back to a restaurant, it will be getting late.  A “must visit restaurant” may be the one that’s open.

If you are running late you may want to consider just grabbing something at the airport. There are several restaurants including a Humpy’s and Silver Gulch that are open until midnight with decent food.

Glacier Brewhouse,  Simon & Seaforts for seafood, The Bridge for seafood, Club Paris for steaks, if you have time.  Mooses Tooth is a local favorite but the wait times can be atrocious.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I posted this and then totally forgot about it lol. I have reservations at the Summit Lake Lodge in a lake front cabin for the duration of our couple days before the cruise. Looking like the Comfort Inn is going to be the best bet as far as the one night in Anchorage. Do they have an airport shuttle that will get us there from the airport?

Stayed there years ago for a week. Nothing fancy but there is a bar and restuarant there. Also close to either Seward, Whittier, Alyeska, or Cooper Landing. Also closer to Homer than Seward is. Lovely view of Summit Lake and mountains. Good Luck 

On 1/13/2022 at 8:58 AM, Mountaineer0313 said:

Hey all, I posted this and then totally forgot about it lol. I have reservations at the Summit Lake Lodge in a lake front cabin for the duration of our couple days before the cruise. Looking like the Comfort Inn is going to be the best bet as far as the one night in Anchorage. Do they have an airport shuttle that will get us there from the airport?

The Ship Creek Comfort Inn did have an airport shuttle.  I contacted them in advanced and the shuttle was waiting for us.

We stayed one night at the Summit Lake Lodge this past summer.  Beautiful but I was surprised how close it was to the highway.  Even in a lake front cabin, we could hear road noise.  The location is nice (we stayed to break up the drive from Homer to Anchorage) but next time I’ll look for something a bit more remote.

On 1/15/2022 at 9:14 AM, disneyochem said:

The Ship Creek Comfort Inn did have an airport shuttle.  I contacted them in advanced and the shuttle was waiting for us.

We stayed one night at the Summit Lake Lodge this past summer.  Beautiful but I was surprised how close it was to the highway.  Even in a lake front cabin, we could hear road noise.  The location is nice (we stayed to break up the drive from Homer to Anchorage) but next time I’ll look for something a bit more remote.

Have you looked for something more remote? Interested to find something like that also.