Opinions Requested: Spirit Big Seats or Delta Comfort Plus

sjmbruce

I have two options for flights in April:

-Spirit big front seats with baggage included

-Delta comfort plus, bags added 

Both are pretty much the same price. I'd normally pick Delta, but my old lady hips (at age 35) are really begging for the big front seats on Spirit. First class on Delta really isn't an option financially. 

Any thoughts? 

I’d never even consider Spirit.  Spirit has no interline agreement with another airline and a very limited schedule.  Something goes wrong with your flight, you’ll be stuck.  DL has lots of flights and will pay to put you on another airline to get you there.  Spirit will not.

• Like 2

Spirit's Big Front Seat is a solid product. I've taken it several times. BUT, I take it to things that aren't time sensitive, like my yearly guys trip to Vegas. If I miss a bit of time, or even a day, it stinks but isn't a deal killer. It also, thankfully, has never happened - all of my flights have been early. I generally like Spirit for what they are, and what they offer. 

I would, however, not take Spirit to something like a cruise, business meeting, or other time sensitive event because their flights are so limited, as mentioned above. It's just not worth it. 

13 hours ago, voyager1964 said:

Spirit: 36''by20'', 2 in a row

Delta: 34''by18'', 3 in a row

Correct?

That sounds about right. The dimensions on the Delta seats will change a bit depending on the aircraft, with the size you quoted being the max for narrowbodies, assuming that's what OP will end up on (for example some of the 737s are 34" x 17.2"). 

The Spirit BFS is basically akin to a domestic first class seat as far as pitch and width goes. No extra perks beyond that, but it's a good hard product. 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:18 AM, Zach1213 said:

That sounds about right. The dimensions on the Delta seats will change a bit depending on the aircraft, with the size you quoted being the max for narrowbodies, assuming that's what OP will end up on (for example some of the 737s are 34" x 17.2"). 

The Spirit BFS is basically akin to a domestic first class seat as far as pitch and width goes. No extra perks beyond that, but it's a good hard product. 

Then, I would probably select Spirit for a party of 2

On 1/7/2022 at 6:26 PM, voyager1964 said:

Then, I would probably select Spirit for a party of 2

If seat size was the only criterion, then yes.

OTOH, there is more to an airline flight than just the seat.  Please note Zach's post above -- I would NEVER fly Spirit to a time-critical event such as a cruise.

Caveat Emptor.

• Like 1

I'm curious...all this talk about interline agreements.  My flight on AA was canceled about 8 hours before my scheduled departure.  Leaving from a smaller market, the only available option they gave me was the same flight 2 days later.  When I requested that they put me on a DL flight that was within a couple of hours of my canceled itinerary, they flatly refused.  Wasted most of a nights sleep on hold to get nowhere other than to be told that they couldn't process a refund request for me, I would have to file a request on the website.  So much for booking with the majors.

Thanks for the advice! We're actually flying in on a Wednesday for a Saturday cruise. We're thinking about moving to Florida and are going to spend a few days checking out the area we are interested in. I'm still keeping an eye on prices but thanks again for the thoughts and information.  

sjmbruce;  the seat size is not that much of a difference;  since you live in Michigan, and you fly out of Detroit,  if your flight gets delayed or cancelled;  Delta will have more flights to Florida;  make your vacation as stress free as possible.  Good luck with your choice

I'm a big fan of Spirit's Big Front Seat.  However, you have to play their "booking game" to keep the costs down. 

If add-on to include luggage and seat fees is more than booking them separately, then so do.

Keep an eye on non-stop vs connections, because you pay for the BFS for every flight.

Book early morning flights to allow for substitutions if flights are delayed or cancelled, and fly in the day before the cruise.  I find the cost of the hotel overnight is well worth the reduced anxiety.  But, I'm in CA and Caribbean cruise debarkation ports are quite a distance from the left coast.