Celebrity Moving Testing to Pier After Cruise

AlbertaCruisers

Long way off and many protocols with Canadian government and Celebrity can change between now and May. We have a ten night Pacific Coastal May 3. We leave San Diego but our last port before Vancouver is Victoria. I wonder how they could even contemplate testing all passengers with PCR test. Maybe Canada will eliminate testing similar to UK.  

10 minutes ago, Princess Fi said:

Long way off and many protocols with Canadian government and Celebrity can change between now and May. We have a ten night Pacific Coastal May 3. We leave San Diego but our last port before Vancouver is Victoria. I wonder how they could even contemplate testing all passengers with PCR test. Maybe Canada will eliminate testing similar to UK.  

Eliminating the PCR test would make travel so much easier.  I keep holding on to hope that it will be relaxed to an antigen test, but Omicron caused on bump in taking that road in the near future.  

Edited by wendycook22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wendycook22 said:

1 hour ago, wendycook22 said:

Eliminating the PCR test would make travel so much easier.  I keep holding on to hope that it will be relaxed to an antigen test, but Omicron caused on bump in taking that road in the near future.  

The act for the PCR test to get back in to Canada is set to expire Jan 31,2022 so should be interesting to see if it is extended. We have a cruise on the Eclipse that also ends in  Vancouver on April 23, now it’s gone off the website & no one seems to know anything other than they are not allowed to sell anymore cabins as it is showing Red code.

Edited by If only
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, If only said:

The act for the PCR test to get back in to Canada is set to expire Jan 31,2022 so should be interesting to see if it is extended. We have a cruise on the Eclipse that also ends in  Vancouver on April 23, now it’s gone off the website & no one seems to know anything other than they are not allowed to sell anymore cabins as it is showing Red code.

Can you post where it says that act ends end of the month?

I just assumed that until things calm down that a pcr test would be required to come back into Canada.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Can you post where it says that act ends end of the month?

I just assumed that until things calm down that a pcr test would be required to come back into Canada.

Edited by If only

Tried to find it again but their website does not make it easy, will let you know if we find it again. My DH thought it was under the Quarantine act but is having trouble finding it again.

Edited by If only
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Princess Fi said:

On November 19, 2021, the Public Health Agency of Canada published a press release announcing adjustments to COVID-related border measures. Buried deep in the press release was the following bullet point:

• Transport Canada continues to work with the cruise ship industry, and other domestic and international partners, to permit the safe re-opening of Canada to cruise ship travel in spring 2022, including the specific vaccination requirements for cruise ship passengers, and other health protocols. Additional information will be available in the coming weeks.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2021/11/government-of-canada-announces-adjustments-to-canadas-border-measures.html

While this doesn't specifically address the issue of PCR testing upon arrival at Canadian ports, it does indicate that the GOC is aware of the issues facing cruise ship passengers and is working with the cruise ship industry. Hopefully we will see indications of progress in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2022 at 3:06 PM, AlbertaCruisers said:

Isn't the below wording on the Celebrity site in Frequently asked questions new?

All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked and paid in full prior to November 16, 2021.  For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee. The cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99* per person.  Prices vary by port and test type.

*Test prices are set by each vendor and not by Celebrity Cruises. Payments will be made directly to the vendor providing the service. Celebrity Cruises will not collect or retain any portion of this payment.

So, maybe a little bit of good news, it looks like they have thought better about adding in the "paid in full wording" I noted above.  The wording on the website is now as set out below.  The wording is the same in the FAQ and the Country Travel Requirements - which is nice for once.

All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021.  For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee. The cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99* per person.  Prices vary by port and test type.

*Test prices are set by each vendor and not by Celebrity Cruises. Payments will be made directly to the vendor providing the service. Celebrity Cruises will not collect or retain any portion of this payment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

Read "If you need a test to repatriate, you are on your own."

We cruised in December on Apex, and I had written confirmation from Celebrity that they would provide a PCR test on board for those travelling the day of disembarkation, at no charge. The process was simple and effective; we had results within a few hours. 

With this change, I really question whether we can get the results in time for a flight back to Canada. I also hate the idea of relying on X to honour commitments once we leave the ship and a third party is in charge. We are meant to be on Equinox in February; our flights are with Flights by Celebrity, and that department has not contacted me to tell me how the change in company policy will affect our arrangements. And yes, I do believe they have an obligation to reach out to passengers such as myself. Further, I would have qualified for a "free" test, had Celebrity not decided to delay my final payment, which was of no financial benefit to me. I don't find this to be a very ethical decision.

2 minutes ago, Cruising from Mississauga said:

, I would have qualified for a "free" test, had Celebrity not decided to delay my final payment,

See post #58. It appears that the paid in full by November 16 requirement has been removed.

1 hour ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

So, maybe a little bit of good news, it looks like they have thought better about adding in the "paid in full wording" I noted above.  The wording on the website is now as set out below.  The wording is the same in the FAQ and the Country Travel Requirements - which is nice for once.

All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021.  For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee. The cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99* per person.  Prices vary by port and test type.

Thank you for noticing,  took a screen shot this time 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like both Royal and Celebrity are not offering PCR test for us to fly back home after cruise. What I don't understand is how can Celebrity arrange for the test to cost $95 and Royal's provider is charging $210 for the exact same test.  There is something really wrong here. Can somebody explain this discrepancy.

48 minutes ago, Fyona said:

Seems like both Royal and Celebrity are not offering PCR test for us to fly back home after cruise. What I don't understand is how can Celebrity arrange for the test to cost $95 and Royal's provider is charging $210 for the exact same test.  There is something really wrong here. Can somebody explain this discrepancy.

They are offering the test but no longer onboard before disembarkation (which I think sucks as I booked based on that 'promise) - so testing outside at the terminal and I can only assume the price variance depends on who they contracted out these services to?  

The other option is to bring a (proctored/Switch Health) PCR test with you onboard and do it before getting off the ship?  (or if you are staying over post cruise?)

52 minutes ago, Fyona said:

The $95 test mentioned by Celebrity and the $210 test mentioned by RCI are not for the same test.

With Celebrity, testing remains complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021. For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, the cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99 per person and will vary by port and test type. I've not seen a price list published by Celebrity showing the cost by port and type.

For Royal Caribbean, all testing will remain free through January 31, 2022.  After that, passengers wishing to be tested will have to pay, with antigen tests starting at $105 and PCR tests starting at $210. Again, the price varies by port and type, and I've seen no price list.

So, at the bottom end of the scale, there's only a $6 difference between the prices set by the vendors used by Celebrity and RCI for an antigen test. As for PCR tests, we know that RCI's vendor is charging at least $210, but Celebrity's website has no information on their vendor's cost for the same test.

I'll be interested in reading  what Canadian passengers will experience  in the weeks ahead, 

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 6:12 PM, Fouremco said:

The $95 test mentioned by Celebrity and the $210 test mentioned by RCI are not for the same test.

With Celebrity, testing remains complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021. For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, the cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99 per person and will vary by port and test type. I've not seen a price list published by Celebrity showing the cost by port and type.

For Royal Caribbean, all testing will remain free through January 31, 2022.  After that, passengers wishing to be tested will have to pay, with antigen tests starting at $105 and PCR tests starting at $210. Again, the price varies by port and type, and I've seen no price list.

So, at the bottom end of the scale, there's only a $6 difference between the prices set by the vendors used by Celebrity and RCI for an antigen test. As for PCR tests, we know that RCI's vendor is charging at least $210, but Celebrity's website has no information on their vendor's cost for the same test.

I'll be interested in reading  what Canadian passengers will experience  in the weeks ahead, 

Regardless, even if Celebrity says tests start at $95, and Royal's test say starting at $210. Same parent company why can't they arrange for the same vendor. Will contact Celebrity to confirm cost of tests from MIA or FLL to return to Canada and then switch to Celebrity and save some $$$. If they quote $95, why would we pay $210 + each

7 minutes ago, Fyona said:

Regardless, even if Celebrity says tests start at $95, and Royal's test say starting at $210. Same parent company why can't they arrange for the same vendor. Will contact Celebrity to confirm cost of tests from MIA or FLL to return to Canada and then switch to Celebrity and save some $$$. If they quote $95, why would we pay $210 + each

Again, you are trying to compare apples and oranges. You can't compare Celebrity's starting price for an Antigen test with RCI's starting price for a PCR test. Celebrity hasn't quoted $95 or any other price for a PCR test, so we have no idea what a PCR-toPCR comparison will look like.

When you do find out, do let us know what the actual prices are.

34 minutes ago, Fyona said:

You are working from a false premise. Royal Caribbean quotes tests starting at US$105, not US$210 as you state. Further, Celebrity is currently quoting tests as starting from US$99, not US$95. So the difference is US$6. I suspect the difference in cruise fares is substantially larger.

Edited by broberts

For the testing at the pier, wondering how the appointment process works.

Do you make the appointment when on the ship or should / can it be done in advance?

Thank you - want to ensure I don't miss a step for our Feb cruise on Apex

6 minutes ago, chrismo said:

For the testing at the pier, wondering how the appointment process works.

Do you make the appointment when on the ship or should / can it be done in advance?

Thank you - want to ensure I don't miss a step for our Feb cruise on Apex

Unless there has been yet another recent change, you can't book in advance. Details on the registration process will be provided on board.

Doing some research and saw that Holland America and Princess,  both cruise lines, will cover our PCR test to return home after cruise.  Savings of $420. US dollars per couple.  We have sailed on both and they are very good, so will switch until Royal comes to their senses and offer more reasonable rates for the PCR tests for us Canadians to return home.