Planning details for our cruise to Alaska in May 2022 - Flying US into Canada concerns

dgc2861

We have a cruise booked beginning of May - 12 days sailing Round Trip Vancouver. I know it is a little early, and things may get better regarding cruising (or maybe worse **shudder**) but I'm researching logistics and flying during Covid times.

Princes requires negative (could be Rapid Antigen) 2 days before the cruise. If we sail on Monday and we're flying Pittsburgh to Vancouver on Sunday morning, we can get the rapid Antigen Saturday and get on the ship with our negative tests.

But looking at flying to Canada, as of now,  if I'm reading correctly, we have to test within 72 hours before flying into Canada. (Sunday 6am). BUT I don't think they accept the rapid antigen, so I suppose we will need to first get a PCR test sometime on Thursday morning and hope to get those test results before we fly on Sunday. Then get the Rapid Antigen Princess requires 2 days before sailing on Saturday. 

And then there is flying back home from Vancouver to Pittsburgh. I think we can just get the Rapid Antigen at the Princess port and fly home the next day.

Am I thinking this through or overthinking this? Are there other things I'm missing or an easier way?

I'd love to postpone it, but the this itinerary is only offered Mid September 2022 and is more money. And not offered at all in 2023. This was already cancelled once by Princess last year and we were so glad when they offered it this May. We could do an NCL Seattle to Seattle 11ish days that are similar, but their itineraries are difficult to read on their website when including/not including Glacier Bay. It states Glacier Bay in the title of the cruise - but the itinerary doesn't list it at all. I've called them and their 800# folks could never help me.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sue in Pgh

Canada accepts a few other test types in addition to the widely publicized PCR…one of which is the Walgreens Rapid ID Now test (NAAT).  If it’s available in your area, return times on it are generally a couple of hours.

16 hours ago, dgc2861 said:

We have a cruise booked beginning of May - 12 days sailing Round Trip Vancouver. I know it is a little early, and things may get better regarding cruising (or maybe worse **shudder**) but I'm researching logistics and flying during Covid times.

Princes requires negative (could be Rapid Antigen) 2 days before the cruise. If we sail on Monday and we're flying Pittsburgh to Vancouver on Sunday morning, we can get the rapid Antigen Saturday and get on the ship with our negative tests.

But looking at flying to Canada, as of now,  if I'm reading correctly, we have to test within 72 hours before flying into Canada. (Sunday 6am). BUT I don't think they accept the rapid antigen, so I suppose we will need to first get a PCR test sometime on Thursday morning and hope to get those test results before we fly on Sunday. Then get the Rapid Antigen Princess requires 2 days before sailing on Saturday. 

And then there is flying back home from Vancouver to Pittsburgh. I think we can just get the Rapid Antigen at the Princess port and fly home the next day.

Am I thinking this through or overthinking this? Are there other things I'm missing or an easier way?

I'd love to postpone it, but the this itinerary is only offered Mid September 2022 and is more money. And not offered at all in 2023. This was already cancelled once by Princess last year and we were so glad when they offered it this May. We could do an NCL Seattle to Seattle 11ish days that are similar, but their itineraries are difficult to read on their website when including/not including Glacier Bay. It states Glacier Bay in the title of the cruise - but the itinerary doesn't list it at all. I've called them and their 800# folks could never help me.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sue in Pgh

Here is a link to the Govt Canada COVID testing requirements for travellers.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

Edited by Heidi13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

Canada accepts a few other test types in addition to the widely publicized PCR…one of which is the Walgreens Rapid ID Now test (NAAT).  If it’s available in your area, return times on it are generally a couple of hours.

Wonderful! I didn't know NAAT was a Rapid test. Thank you. This makes things slightly easier.

I don't think you are overthinking it!  I was in a similar dilemma .. wanted to cruise to Alaska (in May) and wanted to leave from Vancouver.  But Canada makes me nervous (their entry requirements - plus, what if they suddenly won't let anyone into the country??), so I booked a cruise out of Seattle.  I have a higher confidence level that a US based cruise will actually depart!  We shall see!

I was getting overwhelmed with the timing of the tests .. one test to get into Canada and then another to get on the ship (couldn't be the same test if we wanted to spend a day in Vancouver because of the timing of the tests).  I have a group of six .. that would have been six tests, twice.  Hopefully the NAAT works for you!!

Anyway .. good luck with it all!  Hopefully things will have calmed down by May!!

2 hours ago, arlsvera said:

I don't think you are overthinking it!  I was in a similar dilemma .. wanted to cruise to Alaska (in May) and wanted to leave from Vancouver.  But Canada makes me nervous (their entry requirements - plus, what if they suddenly won't let anyone into the country??), so I booked a cruise out of Seattle.  I have a higher confidence level that a US based cruise will actually depart!  We shall see!

I was getting overwhelmed with the timing of the tests .. one test to get into Canada and then another to get on the ship (couldn't be the same test if we wanted to spend a day in Vancouver because of the timing of the tests).  I have a group of six .. that would have been six tests, twice.  Hopefully the NAAT works for you!!

Anyway .. good luck with it all!  Hopefully things will have calmed down by May!!

Oh I'm so glad I wasn't the only one. I couldn't imagine doing it with 6. My best friend and I are going and she doesn't do the "smart" features in a smart phone so would have been all up to me. We may push the same itinerary in Sept. Still have a few weeks to decide. Enjoy your cruise out of Seattle. Who knows what changes will take place before May.

22 hours ago, dgc2861 said:

We are in a similar "boat" so to speak.  We have a B2B pair booked with the first leg departing Vancouver for Honolulu in late April, and the second leg returning to Vancouver.  I have been monitoring both the situation in Hawaii (the NCL Pride of America is not sailing currently in the islands and has been cancelled until at least late February), and testing requirements to enter both Canada and return to the US.  I also think it is too early to speculate about the future, and will just deal with what we have to deal with to board that ship.  Or if it becomes too complicated we will just cancel since we have been to Hawaii about twenty times.

18 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

We are in a similar "boat" so to speak.  We have a B2B pair booked with the first leg departing Vancouver for Honolulu in late April, and the second leg returning to Vancouver.  I have been monitoring both the situation in Hawaii (the NCL Pride of America is not sailing currently in the islands and has been cancelled until at least late February), and testing requirements to enter both Canada and return to the US.  I also think it is too early to speculate about the future, and will just deal with what we have to deal with to board that ship.  Or if it becomes too complicated we will just cancel since we have been to Hawaii about twenty times.

Yes...always anticipate the unexpected when cruising now.

With the recent news that all US cruise ships now have cases of covid I do wonder if Canada will again consider not allowing cruising this year. I hadn’t really given it much consideration until recently. We were getting ready to book a May trip but will hold off for a while longer.

Anyone who tries to predict what will be happening in May or maybe even March has a better crystal ball than the rest of us.  Remember the time a few months ago before omicron that everyone including the professionals believed that if we all got vaccinated everything would be under control.  We are lucky so far that the variants although they may spread much more easily are not more lethal.  Imagine what would happen if we got a variant that was more contagious and was also more lethal.  Could happen.  Maybe even before May.

If I was a betting man, I would bet that Canada is going to close down again before cruising season starts.

DON

8 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

If I was a betting man, I would bet that Canada is going to close down again before cruising season starts.

DON

I’m thinking that’s a good possibility too. There are currently ships returning to port early and some that are not being allowed in ports due to covid. 

Not Alaska but it does add to the writing-on-the-wall regarding future cruising this year. From RCL today.

"As a result of the ongoing COVID-related circumstances around the world, and in abundance of caution, Royal Caribbean International is pausing operations for the following ships:

• Vision of the Seas’ return to cruising is postponed until March 7, 2022
  • Serenade of the Seas sailings from January 8 – March 5, returning after dry dock on April 26, 2022
  • Jewel of the Seas sailings from January 9 – February 12, returning on February 20, 2022
  • Symphony of the Seas sailings from January 8 – January 22, returning on January 29, 2022"

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Anyone who tries to predict what will be happening in May or maybe even March has a better crystal ball than the rest of us.  Remember the time a few months ago before omicron that everyone including the professionals believed that if we all got vaccinated everything would be under control.  We are lucky so far that the variants although they may spread much more easily are not more lethal.  Imagine what would happen if we got a variant that was more contagious and was also more lethal.  Could happen.  Maybe even before May.

DON

Yes. I'm thinking this too. Our County's covid cases are really high. (for us)  Last year at this time we were averaging 500ish new cases a day right before the vaccines came out. Now we're up to 4,000-4,500 a day. Probably not as bad as other counties in other states, Pgh is a small town city, but it is high for us. I don't know how Canada is doing. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

We were booked on a Princess cruise Vancouver return for May 11 being SURE things would have improved.  Cancelled this cruise and are now booked on SilverSea for May 2023.  Ever hopeful we'll get to Alaska once all this testing etc. is behind us.

Interesting article from yesterday.

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Tuesday warned against travel to Canada after updating its COVID-19 travel guidelines on Sunday.

Canada is now rated at level four, the highest rating the CDC holds, called “COVID-19 Very High.” Travelers are told to avoid countries on the level four rating and be fully vaccinated if they do have to travel there. 

The warning comes two months after the U.S. lifted travel restrictions to and from Canada for fully vaccinated individuals."

https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/589139-cdc-warns-against-travel-to-canada

7 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Interesting article from yesterday.

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Tuesday warned against travel to Canada after updating its COVID-19 travel guidelines on Sunday.

Canada is now rated at level four, the highest rating the CDC holds, called “COVID-19 Very High.” Travelers are told to avoid countries on the level four rating and be fully vaccinated if they do have to travel there. 

The warning comes two months after the U.S. lifted travel restrictions to and from Canada for fully vaccinated individuals."

https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/589139-cdc-warns-against-travel-to-canada

Nothing new here.  Every international trip I have planned is rated level 4.  I doubt the incidence of COVID in those countries is higher than the US.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Free2bMeForever said:

Nothing new here.  Every international trip I have planned is rated level 4.  I doubt the incidence of COVID in those countries is higher than the US.

Yes, there are many countries at level 4 although my post was in relation to the original post of travel to Vancouver.  The CDC level system for covid is actually fairly new. It was established just over a year ago. 

• Like 1

We are booked for roundtrip Vancouver cruise in May.  Scratching my head about separate tests for Canada and then for the cruise ship because we arrive 2 1/2 days before boarding the ship.  However, so much can happen during the intervening months that I won’t lose any sleep just yet.

Purely my opinion, but I also won’t be surprised if Canada opts not to allow cruise ships again this year.  

56 minutes ago, logan25 said:

We are booked for roundtrip Vancouver cruise in May.  Scratching my head about separate tests for Canada and then for the cruise ship because we arrive 2 1/2 days before boarding the ship.  However, so much can happen during the intervening months that I won’t lose any sleep just yet.

Purely my opinion, but I also won’t be surprised if Canada opts not to allow cruise ships again this year.  

Exactly. Our concerns too. I wish Canada or Princess would make a decision to go/no go before Feb 1 before our final payment is due. 

11 hours ago, dgc2861 said:

Exactly. Our concerns too. I wish Canada or Princess would make a decision to go/no go before Feb 1 before our final payment is due. 

YES!!  Ours is mid-May Anchorage to Vancouver.  And I wish Princess would reinstate the 30 final payment window and extend 'Cruise With Confidence' past April 30. 

As for testing we are currently flying in 3 days early so will need to test in Anchorage. But unclear on what will be required to disembark in Vanvcouver and fly home that night. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 2:21 PM, arlsvera said: