Butchart Gardens

KingsQueen13

We’re cruising on Miracle in September and I was hoping to visit Butchart Gardens in Victoria. Our day is super short, 8a-1p. There’s no excursion listed for the gardens. I am looking at how far it is, how to get there etc, and it seems like it’s a 40ish minute drive. If I got off the boat right at 8, got a car to the gardens before they open at 9, would 2 hours be enough to enjoy the gardens properly? I don’t want to be panicked about getting back to the boat on time so I would leave by 11:30 at the latest. I just don’t know if it’ll be too crazy to try to do it with the limited amount of time. Thanks for any and all help. 

1 hour ago, KingsQueen13 said:

Thanks for any and all help. 

My opinion, two hours is much too little time for a visit to the Gardens.  If you do it, it will be a "once over very lightly" visit and likely there will be sections you won't have time to visit.  Plus, the concern about returning to your ship on time will add sufficient stress (at least it would for me) that I would not really appreciate the beauty of what I was seeing.  

Enjoy your cruise on Carnival Miracle; I really enjoyed mine.  She is a nice ship and easy to navigate about.  And, I recommend very highly a dinner at their Steakhouse.  

9 hours ago, john2003 said:

Another consideration from someone who lives here. Traffic is so much worse than even recent years. Consequently, travel times are less predictable. 

Out of curiosity - why is traffic worse?

You live in a very beautiful area!

----

I do agree traffic is unpredictable here. I am one that thinks one should go and see something even if you don't have time in case you don't get back to the area but with the distance and possibility of missing the ship, I would not go. As much as I think these gardens are gorgeous and worthy.

Edited by Coral

My take on the Butchart Gardens 

8am to 1pm port time is cutting it right down to the very minimum wire.

If you are able to leave your ship at 8am promptly and have contracted transport to

Butchart opening at 9am daily (park is about 20 or so miles away - Google Map)

the race will be on - not much time to linger at all the garden features.

Google Maps

Pier is a bottom of image and Butchart at the top center - route to get there passes

thru Victoria downtown. The organized tours take an elongated tour of the perimeter

of Beacon Hill - McMicking Point - Willows Beach - and cutting back into north of the

Victoria downtown --- all this taking about an hour of time.

Thus skipping all this and going directly to Butchart arriving at opening bell 9am leaves

about 2 and half to 3 hours of time to visit the park.

A brisk self-guided walk around the perimeter of the gardens taking hurried photo opts

and depending on the crowds waiting for them to disperse to create a solo sans people

shot - taking side tours into the garden alcoves you can visit all the main features.

Close-up Map of Butchart:

Google Maps

At the bottom you see the bus contractor parking - the starting point

Moving along circling the park clockwise (left to right) I had time to easily view and

photo freely everywhere I went - near the end my companions went off to eat while

I finished the last lessor interesting garden the Mediterranean Garden meeting back

at the bus assembly point.

The bus ride back to the ship made commentary of the history and features

of downtown Victoria -  -  - you would be skipping all this to arrive timely back at

boarding call 12:30pm at the pier. As long as there is a boarding que of guests 

the ship will wait.

This will be a rush job - get your running track gear in order this is not a leisure walk

in the park. Have your camera photo gear ready and primed and a tight leash on any

companions - stay together - not much time to waste - save getting a bite to eat

back on your ship.

Leaving the park right at 12 noon should place you back at the pier near 12:30pm

Tip the contractor for making this happen according to your limited schedule.

Things to compound this well planned self-excursion 

Mid-week less crowds except for another cruise ship visiting at same time

Weekend increased crowds of locals out for a walk and visitors from the mainland Vancouver

Traffic as noted in a previous post 

21 hours ago, john2003 said:

Another consideration from someone who lives here. Traffic is so much worse than even recent years. Consequently, travel times are less predictable. 

But a skilled taxi driver should be able to handle this.

Weather rainy low overcast clouds spoiling this.

Hint doing the park clockwise if things do not go according to plan makes it real easy

to cut to the chase skipping things such as the Mediterranean garden and leaving the

park on schedule.

It is doable if you have the athletic ability to move freely !

While a shore excursion to Butchart is not on your ships agenda search out for contractors

on the internet doing just this alone (also check their service reliability) - other than the entry

ticket to Butchart a small group may have a fare savings over just 2 to 4 guests. 

I'm willing to bet that my the time September rolls around, your ship will have an excursion to Butcharts.  Two hours would be very rushed and as others have said, you'd be worried the whole time about getting back to the ship in time.  For a 1:00 o'clock departure you would need to be back onboard no later than 12:30, so leaving the Gardens at 11:00 seems like a good amount of time but doesn't count for traffic, returning the car, etc.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:37 AM, Coral said:

Out of curiosity - why is traffic worse?

You live in a very beautiful area!

Thanks, yes it is a nice place to live. Traffic is mainly population growth, I assume. I also think some drivers are more impatient,  perhaps creating more traffic incidents. I don't know if the stats bear this out. The greater area has experienced tremendous construction. Too many people heard about us!!

• Like 1

It is not a simple "Hop, Skip & Jump" to and from Victoria from Seattle. This would be an all day long trip for you from Seattle. You would need to arrive two days before getting on the ship. The following is from ferry information in Seattle. One way is nearly 3 hours.

Seattle to Victoria Ferry

The Seattle to Victoria Clipper ferry ride connects the United States with Vancouver Island. The Victoria Clipper ferry ride to Victoria takes 2 hours and 45 minutes, traveling direct between Pier 69 in downtown Seattle and the Belleville Terminal in downtown Victoria, BC’s Inner Harbor.

How much is the ferry from Seattle to Victoria?
The passenger-only round-trip fare for the Victoria Clipper ranges from $115 USD – $140 USD for a 7 day advance purchase depending on the time of year. SAVE on your Victoria Clipper ferry ride when booking a Seattle to Victoria overnight hotel package!

Do you need a passport to take the ferry from Seattle to Victoria?
Yes, since you are crossing into another country, you will need a passport to enter Canada and re-enter the United States upon return. A Passport Card, Enhanced Driver License, Enhanced ID Card or NEXUS Card is also acceptable.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you are cruising from Seattle, I would highly recommend flying in a day or two before and take the ferry via Clippervacations.com to Victoria.  You will see on their website that they do round trip packages and some include Butchart Gardens.  Victoria is lovely and the clipper is a great way to get there from Seattle. I have done this and stayed overnight in Victoria.  Definitely worth an all day or overnight trip before your cruise.

2 hours ago, ilovesparky13 said:

Personally, I think that even with an excursion, it’s not enough time to thoroughly enjoy the gardens at a relaxed pace. Sometimes you just want to linger in one spot, you know?

Though if you are never in the area again - it is worth seeing once, even if there isn't enough time.

4 hours ago, ilovesparky13 said:

Personally, I think that even with an excursion, it’s not enough time to thoroughly enjoy the gardens at a relaxed pace. Sometimes you just want to linger in one spot, you know?

Still yet with little time - - -

"GO"

and take your imaging device camera cell phone taking in those memorable photos to

dwell on what you would have missed if you had not gone.

The cruise lines really need to do better with the port time at Victoria instead of using

it as a sad excuse to satisfy the PVSA requirement.

This may not be relevant to those planning to make a quick getaway from Seattle on returning from your cruise, but I thought I'd mention some other garden resources in the general area that might be of interest.  

For one thing, I'd generally (and strongly) recommend that cruisers thinking about Seattle-based round trips to SE Alaska look instead at round trips departing from Vancouver BC.  In addition to (IMO) a superior sailing route (Inside Passage vs. open ocean) Vancouver departures would let you tour some public gardens right in Vancouver that are in the same league as Butchart Gardens.  Specifically, the gardens in Queen Elizabeth II Park in central Vancouver are stunning (and unlike Butchart, free to enter) and the Bloedel Conservatory in the park (fee to enter) is a glorious greenhouse, full of tropical plants and birds.  Nearby are the Van Dusen Botanical Gardens (fee to enter) which is another splendid resource for garden lovers.  

Queen Elizabeth Park | City of Vancouver

Bloedel Conservatory | City of Vancouver

VanDusen Botanical Garden | City of Vancouver

For those "stuck" with Seattle, there are three local garden resources that could/should be seen.  In our city itself, the Seattle Arboretum Japanese Garden is a lovely and peaceful (and gorgeous) resource right in the middle of the city.  A little farther south are Kubota Gardens, another Asian-inspired botanical reserve, also lovely for a visit.

Seattle Japanese Garden

Kubota Garden Foundation - Home

But the crown jewel in our area is the Bloedel Reserve on Bainbridge Island.  You can get there via the very scenic ferry ride from downtown Seattle to Winslow on Bainbridge Island, then there are shuttle buses or cabs to the reserve itself.  This is a marvelous resource, featuring separate "environments" like a moss garden, Japanese Zen garden, etc.  The whole outing is magical and worth most of a day.  Returning to the city on the ferry at sunset is a not-to-be-forgotten experience.  

Bloedel Reserve | One of North America's 10 Best Botanical Gardens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1