Getting two insurance polices

gailellen12

I will be traveling solo on HAL in

early summer and just looked at their platinum insurance plan. I do

like the cancel  for any reason clause  but not their low medical coverage. Likewise another company provides just very good medical and no trip

cancellation. I could get both for a very reasonable price. Any thoughts?  Has anyone done this?  I would not double dip if I needed to file a claim but just file with the company depending on which circumstance has arisen. (Need to cancel or medical emergency). Thanks in advance

On 1/8/2022 at 12:15 PM, gailellen12 said:

I will be traveling solo on HAL in

early summer and just looked at their platinum insurance plan. I do

like the cancel  for any reason clause  but not their low medical coverage. Likewise another company provides just very good medical and no trip

cancellation. I could get both for a very reasonable price. Any thoughts?  Has anyone done this?  I would not double dip if I needed to file a claim but just file with the company depending on which circumstance has arisen. (Need to cancel or medical emergency). Thanks in advance

Hi gailellen12,

There is no problem getting more than one travel insurance plan for the same trip.

However, since you are considering getting the platinum plan with its cancel for any reason coverage, it's important that you if you use the cancel for any reason and are issued a future cruise credit, that you don't cancel the second trip.

The reason is that that credit itself is not insurable. If you called us telling me you had a future cruise credit from a trip you had voluntarily canceled and you wanted to insure it, I would tell you that there is no way to insure that credit. So, the risk you're taking by receiving a future cruise credit when you voluntarily cancel a cruise is canceling the second trip because if you do, you will lose all the value.

I hope this made sense,

Steve Dasseos

FYI. Holland America  is unlike all of the other cruise line policies that I know of. All cancelations are for any reason and you are paid in cash. It is either 80% or 90% depending on standard or platinum. You never have to worry about a covered reason. Downsides include: you never get 100% back, and as the OP indicated, the medical coverage is very weak.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jersey42 said:

FYI. Holland America  is unlike all of the other cruise line policies that I know of. All cancelations are for any reason and you are paid in cash. It is either 80% or 90% depending on standard or platinum. You never have to worry about a covered reason. Downsides include: you never get 100% back, and as the OP indicated, the medical coverage is very weak.

I guess it comes down to which is more important -the ability to cancel for any reason or strong medical coverage. It is hard to find a policy that takes care of both at the same time; especially if you are purchasing it closer to the final cruise payment