Anyone who has done a Helicopter & Glacier Walk...

KingsQueen13

Question for those who have done this type of excursion. Cruising Carnival Miracle this September. I'm debating between Juneau and Skagway for this one. The Juneau one is $320 with 20 minutes of glacier time with an 'easy activity level' listed. Skagway is $30 more but double the glacier time and a 'moderate activity level'. Both are run by the same company and have plenty of positive reviews. My husband and I have some knee/ankle issues and I'm just wondering how strenuous they consider 'moderate'. I'm wondering if the time on glacier is part of the difference, as well as the fact that the Skagway option has several options to choose from as far as which glacier they will take you to, as opposed to Juneau where it's just Mendenhall. Obviously, this is pretty much the one thing I must do on my trip. Any insight is appreciated!

First off there are several more glaciers than Mendenhall that they fly to from Juneau. The trips are highly weather dependent so if this is a must do you may have to book both of them after checking the cancelation policies. The extra time on the glacier allows a person to go further from the helo if it doesn't leave. If it does leave likely it will land and take off in same spot but it could vairy. The footing is not on  smooth surfaces. Not venturing very far from helo will not allow you to see as much in terms of jumping over the crevasses but both trips will be spectacular. Take your time getting in and out of the helo and they will help you but listen to where they say to step and not step. Search youtube videos for video on the trips. Many will give you a sense of what the walking is like. This is one of many.