• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Need advice on what insurance I should have for Alaska Cruise Tour

Hello.  My final payment is due the end of February for an Alaska Cruise/tour.  I  did not purchase insurance (yet).  FWIW, my husband has Medicare and I still have a good health insurance as I am not Medicare eligible yet.

Should I go with the Princess Standard?  Or should I try an outside agency?  Basically, I'm just looking for insurance in case we have to cancel (for non Covid reasons)......  If I were going to a foreign country, I think I'd be worried about getting sick and medical transport overseas.  I'm not that concerned being that we will be in Alaska (or am I being naive?).

Your advice is greatly appreciated.  We are basically new to cruising (albeit one short Caribbean one for me a million years ago).

Thanks!

Are you 100% positive that the Princess cruise/tour you are taking is 100% inside U.S. borders?

Once you verify that, then comments can be applicable.

bon voyage

Just know that Medicare does not cover you when you are out of the country. Does any part of your trip include Canada?

Check the Princess COVID assistance plan. Does it provide for quarantine expenses?

Otherwise, the standard Princess plan will provide cancellation for covered reasons and 75% FCC if you choose to cancel for any reason. That is probably your biggest risk since your regular insurance (except as noted earlier) will cover your medical expenses. Any benefits from the Princess plan can supplement that to pay for any co-pays or deductibles.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, many people have Medicare "Advantage" Plans that DO cover us out of the country. So, this is not necessarily true.

To the OP, if you are looking for just cancellation insurance, go to the Trip Insurance Store and do a mock scenario to get the rates.

Allianz sells a cancellation policy. Out of curiosity, I did a quote for a $5,000 ten day trip to Alaska. 

The premiums ranged from $400+ to $700+  for minimum coverage. There are some other benefits; but at that price, I don’t see any value. You might as well get a good comprehensive plan that offers more generous benefits for both medical and travel risks.

Edited by Babr

Discovered too late to edit that I made a mistake in the quote for my hypothetical trip. The cancellation policy is actually only $261 including interruption and a maximum of six days of trip delay at $150 pp.

The OP would have use her own trip details (ages, cost, trip length) to get a price and compare it to the price of the Princess plan which offers more comprehensive coverage to determine which is a better value and best  meets her needs.