Has anyone have a +PCR and tried to come back to Canada?

traceytd

If you have symptoms or a positive result, we recommend postponing your travel until you have:

• a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled flight to Canada or arriving at the land border; OR
  • a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was taken 15 to 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 11 and 180 days) before entering Canada

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/flying-canada-checklist/covid-19-testing-travellers-coming-into-canada

See the restrictions if you get Covid

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, you can still test positive for a long time after you are no longer contagious or has symptoms.

If you test positive while traveling outside Canada, the first thing to do is get a second PCR test. You could have had a false positive. If you still test positive, use the link provided by @broberts above to get you options/restrictions.

Our son tested positive in the States while on a trip in the Fall. A second test was negative (he got the results 30 minutes before his flight was scheduled to leave). So he had no issues entering Canada by air. He kept his positive test as a 'get out of jail free' card for his travels over the next 180 days. Even with a positive test you can still reenter Canada by air from day 15 (changing to day 11) to day 180 following the positive test, i.e. no need to test again. 

• Like 1

I do not have first hand knowledge of this but I can confirm that two Canadian families who were on my cruise did just that.

As mentioned above on the website it says you can cross overy the LAND border with a positive test.

You need to fill out the ArriveCan app. You need to have a quarantine plan in place.

The one family who posted the details said they flew to the nearest border city then drove across.

At the border:

1 - they showed the positive test results

2 - had to do an arrival test

3 - will have to do a day 8 test

4 - had to show their quarantine plan

I'm not sure if they have been checked up on.

I know the website is complicated but it clearly says that CANADIAN CITIZENS can not be banned from entering Canada.

The whole fines etc is in regards to if you don't fill out the Arrive Can app or don't have a quarantine plan in place.

I read the website A LOT A LOT A LOT!!!!!!

I even printed out the sections in case I tested positive on the way home.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

...Our son tested positive in the States while on a trip in the Fall. A second test was negative (he got the results 30 minutes before his flight was scheduled to leave). So he had no issues entering Canada by air. He kept his positive test as a 'get out of jail free' card for his travels over the next 180 days. Even with a positive test you can still reenter Canada by air from day 15 (changing to day 11) to day 180 following the positive test, i.e. no need to test again. 

I would not recommend that.  You can't claim to be both negative and positive on the same day.

• Like 2

K_e_short has posted accurate information.  I have done exhaustive research myself and have found the exact same information.  I am specifically referring to crossing at a land border though.  If you are flying, as of Jan 15, 2022, the dates to be allowed to fly with a positive test result are from 11 to 180 days.  

I do have one question though, for anyone with specific knowledge if you are crossing via a land crossing when you fill out the ArriveCAN app, you choose a positive result within the app??  I have only ever used ArriveCAN for crossing via air and a negative result.  I suppose I could try a mock crossing in the app but I don't want to be inputting a positive result in the app for any reason during even a mock session.

The Canada.ca website was updated on the 10th. Highlighting is mine. It's giving me pause on my plans to drive to my next cruise if I can't return any way for 11 days is positive (or face a significant fine).

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#pre-entry-testing

Positive results on your pre-entry test

A positive pre-entry test result within 72 hours of your planned entry is not a valid test result for entry to Canada.

Foreign nationals with symptoms or with a positive result from less than 15 days before arriving (starting January 15, 2022, 11 days) will be denied entry.

Canadians: To avoid being fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges), wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result.

• Canadians include citizens, people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents and protected persons (refugee status)

If you have symptoms or a positive result, we recommend postponing your travel until you have:

• a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test taken within 72 hours of your scheduled flight to Canada or arriving at the land border; OR
  • a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was taken 15 to 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 11 and 180 days) before entering Canada
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, edrussell said:

K_e_short has posted accurate information.  I have done exhaustive research myself and have found the exact same information.  I am specifically referring to crossing at a land border though.  If you are flying, as of Jan 15, 2022, the dates to be allowed to fly with a positive test result are from 11 to 180 days.  

I do have one question though, for anyone with specific knowledge if you are crossing via a land crossing when you fill out the ArriveCAN app, you choose a positive result within the app??  I have only ever used ArriveCAN for crossing via air and a negative result.  I suppose I could try a mock crossing in the app but I don't want to be inputting a positive result in the app for any reason during even a mock session.

From experience, the two choices in the ArriveCAN app are (1) negative test, or (2) positive test older than 14 days (when I crossed, it's 11 now).  You not choose not choose either.  This is why you may be fined for not having the correct documentation for crossing (you will be allowed in)

The fine is likely a savings over an 11 day quarantine.

The wording is somewhat new. The fine used to be for those that presented without a test. The suggestion that presenting with a current positive test report invokes the fine is troubling. Fined for being sick is not right.

• Like 7

This is why checking the website is important, as I have continued to repeat.

Now when you go through:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start#services

It says you will be fined.

O.k then you will be fined. So you need a plan to stay in the U.S. for 10 days (enter on the 11th day as of the 15th).

Things change quickly.

2 hours ago, broberts said:

The fine is likely a savings over an 11 day quarantine.

The wording is somewhat new. The fine used to be for those that presented without a test. The suggestion that presenting with a current positive test report invokes the fine is troubling. Fined for being sick is not right.

I don’t see it as a fine for being sick as much as punishment for travelling out of the country in spite of an advisory not to do so, and then suffering the consequences (catching COVID). No judgement here, but they aren’t going to make it easier to get back in sick when that’s why they told us not to leave in the first place.

We are still deciding whether to risk it for our Jan 29th cruise, and we change our minds daily. Vaxxed and boosted, the risk is so small, but it would it would be pretty inconvenient if we did test positive. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, edrussell said:

Things have indeed changed fast.  I wonder how this 'fine' is applied?  Discretion of the officer you are dealing with?  I assume so.  

This does give us pause, but we will likely still roll the dice and go.

It is not the border agent, it is the person on the phone who reviews your quarantine/testing plan (Health Canada?) that is responsible for the fine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, K_e_short said:

This is why checking the website is important, as I have continued to repeat.

Now when you go through:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start#services

It says you will be fined.

O.k then you will be fined. So you need a plan to stay in the U.S. for 10 days (enter on the 11th day as of the 15th).

Things change quickly.

As the website refers to both 10 days and 11 days, it would be good to have an example:

Testing Taken:  Jan 17

Positive Test Results Provided:  Jan 19

I can then fly back to Canada no earlier than Jan 27?

Does anyone have a different opinion?

• Like 1

What a horrible kick in the face.  There goes our March plans as we were going to drive to the cruise.

Wonder how long they'll keep this on as this is a huge problem.  We've done everything right and followed all the rules. And it seems to mean nothing.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

What a horrible kick in the face.  There goes our March plans as we were going to drive to the cruise.

Wonder how long they'll keep this on as this is a huge problem.  We've done everything right and followed all the rules. And it seems to mean nothing.  

I couldn't agree more. We've done everything asked of us and are still being restricted and punished. That's why we booked in March so we could drive straight back home and quarantine if necessary. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I agree.

So if I was cruising now I would need to make sure I have enough money, and time off work to spend 10 days in the U.S., with Covid. Then cross the border.

I would have had to cancel, not because of the cost, but because I can not be off work that long.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

2 minutes ago, LouTheGlue said:

I couldn't agree more. We've done everything asked of us and are still being restricted and punished. That's why we booked in March so we could drive straight back home and quarantine if necessary. 

I wonder if a query of CBSA would produce a positive outcome. It has occurred to me that the wording may may have resulted in an unintended interpretation. Failing that I supposed contacting the minister and local MPs may help.

• Like 2

What is strange though...if they added this fine for crossing the border via land if positive....why isn't it all over the news?  You think it would be advertised if the idea is to stop us from travelling out of Canada.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

What is strange though...if they added this fine for crossing the border via land if positive....why isn't it all over the news?  You think it would be advertised if the idea is to stop us from travelling out of Canada.

I bet the media doesn't know about it. And no one has been given a $5000 fine, yet.

The first person to get fined will call the media and it will hit the news.

Same thing happened when people were unable to figure out how to use the ArriveCan app and said "i'll just cross without it" and then were put in quarantine. Then it was in the news.

The wording of the website has JUST changed. I printed out a copy of the government website on Dec 24th and it did not say that. It said I could cross over with a positive test and quarantine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I bet the media doesn't know about it. And no one has been given a $5000 fine, yet.

The first person to get fined will call the media and it will hit the news.

Same thing happened when people were unable to figure out how to use the ArriveCan app and said "i'll just cross without it" and then were put in quarantine. Then it was in the news.

The wording of the website has JUST changed. I printed out a copy of the government website on Dec 24th and it did not say that. It said I could cross over with a positive test and quarantine.

I think they made it clearer.  I don't know that they have changed anything.

I don't have the exact wording from the 24th (we crossed that day, so I looked at it), but from memory it was over a few different pages.  One said something about needing a test to cross, one said you needed either (1) a negative test, or (2) a 14+ day positive test, and the third said if you don't provide the correct information, you will be subject to a fine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CKCruising said:

I think they made it clearer.  I don't know that they have changed anything.

I don't have the exact wording from the 24th (we crossed that day, so I looked at it), but from memory it was over a few different pages.  One said something about needing a test to cross, one said you needed either (1) a negative test, or (2) a 14+ day positive test, and the third said if you don't provide the correct information, you will be subject to a fine.

What was changed was that when you do the wizard question part:

It used to say:

Do you have symptoms of Covid? - when you said yes it says you CAN enter the country. but will have to quarantine

now it says:

Do you have symptoms of Covid or tested positive within 14 days (10 days as of Jan 15th) - when you say yes it says you CAN NOT enter the country and if you do you MAY be fined $5000.

That added info about an actual Covid test is the issue.

Edited by K_e_short