Quarantine on Azamara

Travels with Lisa

Separating the spouse who is positive from the other spouse has been done by all lines that I have read about…..unless the spouse who is negative chooses to go into isolation.  But in many cases it has been beneficial for the spouse who is negative to remain out of isolation so they could be free to move about the ship and in many cases, advocate for their spouse in isolation.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, gbphipps said:

We were on the Quest for B2B cruises from December 10th through January 7th.  We had a great first cruise (Dec 7th-23rd) but after Christmas I tested positive for covid without symptoms, despite being triple vaccinated, extremely careful and only having left the ship once in both cruises.  I was isolated for 10 days in a tiny ocean view cabin and my husband as a close contact was quarantined for 10 days in our suite even though he tested negative throughout. They never retested me after they verified my first initial antigen test with a PCR.  We were promised that we would hear from Azamara within a week following disembarkation regarding an FCC for the 2/3 of our $15,000 holiday cruise that we missed but so far we only received an email sent to all guests onboard offering $300-$500 onboard credit for a new booking for the ports missed due to covid onboard.  When will we hear from Azamara?  When will their promises be fulfilled?  We have several future cruises already booked in suites and are contemplating canceling since we have not been made whole from this whole covid fiasco onboard.  Isolation and quarantine alone with food in cardboard boxes is no way to spend New Year’s Eve.  I am sure all would agree.  It was depressing to the max and I am still experiencing PTSD from that claustrophobic solitary confinement experience.  The man in the next tiny solitary cell beat the walls and the windows until they let him out.  I was compliant to all they asked, despite feeling like a leper in my small cell.  I am frankly afraid to take another cruise anytime soon as I dont know if I could survive mentally a repeat of this experience.

I am so sorry to hear of your awful experience, but I thank you for having the courage to report back on this forum.

It is possible to understand why Azamara wanted to use Oceanview cabins next to the Medical Centre initially when cruising restarted as they did not know what to expect regarding the severity of Covid cases, but to still be using them (as opposed to Balcony cabins) cannot be right.

I have had many brilliant cruises with Azamara and currently have 4 booked, but I will be seriously considering cancelling if this issue is not addressed.

Come on Azamara..... you can do better than this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, futian said:

I am so sorry to hear of your awful experience, but I thank you for having the courage to report back on this forum.

It is possible to understand why Azamara wanted to use Oceanview cabins next to the Medical Centre initially when cruising restarted as they did not know what to expect regarding the severity of Covid cases, but to still be using them (as opposed to Balcony cabins) cannot be right.

I have had many brilliant cruises with Azamara and currently have 4 booked, but I will be seriously considering cancelling if this issue is not addressed.

Come on Azamara..... you can do better than this!

It is my understanding, after speaking with someone onboard, that there were not any available balcony cabins.  Due to a large number of people onboard (I believe that I read 570) and an abnormally large number of single people onboard as well, all balcony cabins were booked.  

1 hour ago, marinaro44 said:

Those deck 4 oceanview cabins off the reception area were added in a drydock a few years back.  I suspect they have a separate HVAC system so those infected would not share HVAC with cabins occupied by the non-infected.

We were booked on a b2b on deck 4 in one of the original cabins and we were upgraded to deck 6.  Maybe they were making more area available just in case?

This is an horrific experience and very poor of Azamara to have not been in contact with them.  They should not need a travel agent to advocate for them.  It is akin to being stuck in a hole and left there.  We do not cruise to risk being stuck to what nearly amounts to a prison cell with very little natural light and no natural air.  As to the air circulation; that is not what they advertise.   If they need to isolate people like that their upgraded system is not working as advertised.  We are booked on the Pursuit MIA to Tisbury in the fall and if things have not improved by then and they do not have a stated policy about what will happen to us should we test positive on board and where we will be moved to and how we will be reimbursed, we will not be going.  Needless to say, they should have a policy about all this in writing; they do not. I have looked for it. That is bad company policy. It's a shame it is nearly impossible to sue any cruise line -- PTSD can be caused by a situation like that  and caused by Azamara's treatment of her. 

• Like 1

• 10 minutes ago, Bernergirl said:

This is an horrific experience and very poor of Azamara to have not been in contact with them.  They should not need a travel agent to advocate for them.  It is akin to being stuck in a hole and left there.  We do not cruise to risk being stuck to what nearly amounts to a prison cell with very little natural light and no natural air.  As to the air circulation; that is not what they advertise.   If they need to isolate people like that their upgraded system is not working as advertised.  We are booked on the Pursuit MIA to Tisbury in the fall and if things have not improved by then and they do not have a stated policy about what will happen to us should we test positive on board and where we will be moved to and how we will be reimbursed, we will not be going.  Needless to say, they should have a policy about all this in writing; they do not. I have looked for it. That is bad company policy. It's a shame it is nearly impossible to sue any cruise line -- PTSD can be caused by a situation like that  and caused by Azamara's treatment of her. 

I don't know if this helps
  • If I test positive for SARS-COV-2 right before my cruise, at the terminal, or on the cruise, what is your compensation policy and what associated costs are covered?
    • A 100% Future Cruise Credit will be provided for any guest who tests positive within two weeks of their sail date, as well as any members of their immediate traveling party who choose to cancel.
    • If you test positive for COVID-19 at the terminal, Azamara will cover travel change fees and accommodation expenses not covered by travel insurance, upon presentation of proof of a negative antigen or PCR COVID test prior to travel.  
    • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, you will be entitled to either a partial or full FCC for the amount paid, depending on the situation. Azamara will also cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and flight change fees to return home for you and your Traveling Party. Guests must comply with travel requirements, health and safety protocols in order to be eligible for this reassurance.  

We encourage guests purchase travel insurance for added peace of mind and reassurance, either through Azamara or other insurance provider of your choice.

Where will I be isolated if I test positive?

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 (both symptomatic and asymptomatic) will move to isolation staterooms that are closer to the Medical Center and will enjoy complimentary amenities like Wi-Fi and room service, along with regular visits or tele-consultations with medical staff to monitor their wellness. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Travels with Lisa said:
  •  
  • If I test positive for SARS-COV-2 right before my cruise, at the terminal, or on the cruise, what is your compensation policy and what associated costs are covered?
    • A 100% Future Cruise Credit will be provided for any guest who tests positive within two weeks of their sail date, as well as any members of their immediate traveling party who choose to cancel.
    • If you test positive for COVID-19 at the terminal, Azamara will cover travel change fees and accommodation expenses not covered by travel insurance, upon presentation of proof of a negative antigen or PCR COVID test prior to travel.  
    • If you test positive for COVID-19 during the cruise, you will be entitled to either a partial or full FCC for the amount paid, depending on the situation. Azamara will also cover the costs of COVID-19 related medical treatment onboard, any required land-based quarantine, and flight change fees to return home for you and your Traveling Party. Guests must comply with travel requirements, health and safety protocols in order to be eligible for this reassurance.  

We encourage guests purchase travel insurance for added peace of mind and reassurance, either through Azamara or other insurance provider of your choice.

Where will I be isolated if I test positive?

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 (both symptomatic and asymptomatic) will move to isolation staterooms that are closer to the Medical Center and will enjoy complimentary amenities like Wi-Fi and room service, along with regular visits or tele-consultations with medical staff to monitor their wellness. 

I read this and the woman's experience in a window only stateroom would not be acceptable for me. I admit we do not cruise more than once a year, less now due to Covid, and when we do we are in a Continental Suite (gives us more room for Bob's rollator and the bathroom works much better for him).  I would have to be medicated to be in a space that dark and medically Bob can't be alone for days.  Thank you for pointing out the isolation "staterooms".  I will have a discussion with someone at Azamara and it may end in a cancellation and we may change another booking to Seabourn as others have been changed in the past.

1 hour ago, Bernergirl said:

I read this and the woman's experience in a window only stateroom would not be acceptable for me. I admit we do not cruise more than once a year, less now due to Covid, and when we do we are in a Continental Suite (gives us more room for Bob's rollator and the bathroom works much better for him).  I would have to be medicated to be in a space that dark and medically Bob can't be alone for days.  Thank you for pointing out the isolation "staterooms".  I will have a discussion with someone at Azamara and it may end in a cancellation and we may change another booking to Seabourn as others have been changed in the past.

I had been in a Contin ent suite and my husband stayed in the suite in quarantine.  My husband is blind and had no internet or other entertainment during this time.  We had already paid for i nternet so free Internet wasn’t needed for me.  The television options were very few and my husband didn’t use the television.  He did have access to our balcony.  Of course I had a tiny room with a window and no outside air.  Just bringing this up on this board resulted in my having nightmares all night last night of the confinement.  I would awaken and when I fell asleep again I would be back in isolation again.  The man in the next “cell” screamed obsenities and beat the walls and window as well as slamming the bathroom door for hours.  I felt like I was either in prison or in a prison psych ward locked down.  I am having a lot of difficulty handling this even now.  I tend to be a mentally healthy person but this experience was beyond any I could imagine.  We are canceling 6 cruises this Spring, two on Azamara, because I just am afraid to get into this situation again.

Edited by gbphipps

On 1/17/2022 at 5:18 PM, gbphipps said:

We were on the Quest for B2B cruises from December 10th through January 7th.  We had a great first cruise (Dec 7th-23rd) but after Christmas I tested positive for covid without symptoms, despite being triple vaccinated, extremely careful and only having left the ship once in both cruises.  I was isolated for 10 days in a tiny ocean view cabin and my husband as a close contact was quarantined for 10 days in our suite even though he tested negative throughout. They never retested me after they verified my first initial antigen test with a PCR.  We were promised that we would hear from Azamara within a week following disembarkation regarding an FCC for the 2/3 of our $15,000 holiday cruise that we missed but so far we only received an email sent to all guests onboard offering $300-$500 onboard credit for a new booking for the ports missed due to covid onboard.  When will we hear from Azamara?  When will their promises be fulfilled?  We have several future cruises already booked in suites and are contemplating canceling since we have not been made whole from this whole covid fiasco onboard.  Isolation and quarantine alone with food in cardboard boxes is no way to spend New Year’s Eve.  I am sure all would agree.  It was depressing to the max and I am still experiencing PTSD from that claustrophobic solitary confinement experience.  The man in the next tiny solitary cell beat the walls and the windows until they let him out.  I was compliant to all they asked, despite feeling like a leper in my small cell.  I am frankly afraid to take another cruise anytime soon as I dont know if I could survive mentally a repeat of this experience.

Hi There, 

I also was quarantined on the 23DEC sailing. A woman with the loyalty department contacted me on the Jan. 10, 2022 and we had a long talk. She took care of all package refunds, and I received my future cruise credit today via email. If you have not heard from Azamara please contact.  AzamaraCustomerService@azamara.com or you can contact Kara at 344-493-4016 her office hours are Monday through Thursday 5:30am CST to 2:00pm CST and Saturdays 4:00 am to 12:30 pm CST.

Good luck and I hope to see you onboard soon. The way I look at it we have taken our turn in the spin cycle so we shall be dancing and swimming on the next one. I am thinking a suite to Antartica might be good...just in case. Be well my friend. 

• Like 6

On 1/20/2022 at 8:29 PM, Sandora52 said:

Hi There, 

I also was quarantined on the 23DEC sailing. A woman with the loyalty department contacted me on the Jan. 10, 2022 and we had a long talk. She took care of all package refunds, and I received my future cruise credit today via email. If you have not heard from Azamara please contact.  AzamaraCustomerService@azamara.com or you can contact Kara at 344-493-4016 her office hours are Monday through Thursday 5:30am CST to 2:00pm CST and Saturdays 4:00 am to 12:30 pm CST.

Good luck and I hope to see you onboard soon. The way I look at it we have taken our turn in the spin cycle so we shall be dancing and swimming on the next one. I am thinking a suite to Antartica might be good...just in case. Be well my friend. 

I just received an email from Kara, though what she offered was far less than 2/3 of what we paid for our suite.  My husband wrote back to her and got a stock reply that we would hear something in a week.  Here’s hoping!  I spent last night in nightmares once again about the man (former boxer they told me) trying to beat his way through the connecting door.  I am hoping in time I will be able to get beyond this trauma.  We have a suite booked for Antarctica.  We havent canceled it yet.  We just canceled two on Azamara this spring/summer (Black Sea and Greece Intensive) as I am not ready to do this again any time soon.  I would likely not test positive again but my husband could.  He has always tested negative and we have had the same regimen of 3 shots of Moderna.  I am glad they did what you thought was fair for your confinement.  I am hoping since we lost 2/3 of our holiday cruise Azamara will provide FCCs of 2/3 what we paid for our suite.  It’s the least they can do.