• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Why Buy the Insurance?

22 hours ago, mominwestlake said:

We cruise on February 5th.  I just noticed that it is not too late for us to add Carnival's cruise insurance for $109 per person.
We have never purchased the insurance, and I am wondering if it would be a good idea to buy it now?  

Please give me the PROs for buying the insurance.  I suppose the CON would be that the $109 pp could be spent elsewhere.

The PROS for my wife and I are that I was very sick on a cruise and spent a lot of time in the infirmary.On another cruise my wife fell on the ship and sustained injuries .We were very happy that we had the insurance.

• Thanks 1

I've read through the policies and have come to the conclusion that there are no conditions other than death where you can collect.

My father told me about a cruise they had booked with my grandparents.  My grandfather developed a medical issue and couldn't travel.  The insurance company demanded 10 years of his medical records.  It was just the beginning.  The insurance company strategy is to keep demanding more and more information until they wear you out.  

I'm only interested in medical / evacuation, and even then I'm skeptical they will pay.

My bad experience at least has saved me a bunch of money in insurance on flights and tickets (after reading the policies, death is the only way to collect, and then I won't need the money).  I even did a test with my last cruise (I had bought the insurance before the bad experience) where I tried to ask the company for a copy of the policy I bought.  Ten times.  They ignored me.

Edited by jclinard

5 hours ago, jclinard said:

I've read through the policies and have come to the conclusion that there are no conditions other than death where you can collect.

My father told me about a cruise they had booked with my grandparents.  My grandfather developed a medical issue and couldn't travel.  The insurance company demanded 10 years of his medical records.  It was just the beginning.  The insurance company strategy is to keep demanding more and more information until they wear you out.  

I'm only interested in medical / evacuation, and even then I'm skeptical they will pay.

My bad experience at least has saved me a bunch of money in insurance on flights and tickets (after reading the policies, death is the only way to collect, and then I won't need the money).  I even did a test with my last cruise (I had bought the insurance before the bad experience) where I tried to ask the company for a copy of the policy I bought.  Ten times.  They ignored me.

Ten years of records seems more than a bit excessive.

You seem to need a different travel insurer or a better travel insurance broker!

There's no excuse not to be given a copy of the policy.  I'd have complained so fast to the state Insurance Commissioner's Office...!

One reason to get coverage that does not exclude pre-existing conditions is that in addition to covering claims due to conditions that were indeed pre-existing is that there's no need to provide past medical records, because it just wouldn't matter.  If there similar medical treatments in the recent or far past... so what?  The coverage would still be there.

But more to the point, there are plenty who have indeed collected on travel insurance claims.  Unfortunately, we are among those who have had several claims, all paid.  Two were large.  And almost all of the claims were for cancelled trips... cancelled due to medical emergencies that arose shortly before our planned departure date.  One of those was when MIL landed in hospital with heart trouble, and we had to cancel our Med cruise and plans for an additional two weeks in Italy.  The cruise obviously left without us.  However, about 2 months later, we were able to reconstruct much of the two weeks in Italy, once MIL was stable.

Another was because DH had a medical emergency less than 2 weeks before our planned departure.  Another was because I got ill overseas, and we had to cancel one week's worth of planned activities and instead stay at the 5* hotel we were already at.  We were only supposed to stay there 2 nights, but we stayed a week.  I was in hospital, and then still too sick to travel.  ALL expenses were covered, for all of these, and with no hassles.

We also had some lesser claims paid.

We would definitely have preferred that there had been no claims submitted!

GC

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2022 at 9:10 PM, CorbinCatFan said:

As few mentioned already, I can afford to loose the cruise and air fare (even though I would hate to) but I get insurance for international medical coverage, med evac, and if needed, repatriation of remains.

Since we are taking several cruises this year, I've elected to take an annual policy for medical. 

I agree.  The cost of the trip is a sunk cost and is already spent.  It's sad if you can't go, but there is no additional financial risk.  Medical expenses on the other hand are an open ended financial risk for most people.  The expenses that might be incurred overseas for medical services, for evacuation, or for repatriation are usually more than the average person can easily absorb.

These are the expenses that warrant insurance.  Not expenses already met and paid for.

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1