Is landing in Miami at 120pm too late?

mikebisch

1 hour ago, mikebisch said:

I'm looking.  Earliest is 1103.

That can be done. (as long as all goes on schedule). Take a cab or Uber to the port. Don't count on Carnival transportation.

Next time, fly in a day early if at all possible. Start the vaca off with a cool drink at the hotel bar.

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 8:03 PM, cruizergal70 said:

OP, never ask this question.  All the nervous folks will tell you to fly in days early.

Me, I'm okay with a bit of risk. I would look into getting the Carnival airport shuttle to the ship if available. 

The day prior is more than sufficient. I would never fly in the day of. I don't fly extremely often and yet probably half of my domestic flights are delayed for one reason or another. My most recent flight had a medical emergency. The flight before that had a mechanical problem and I sat on the plane at the gate for 2 hours...add weather, staffing shortages, baggage delays, etc and you're gonna have a bad time. 

Best of luck. 

13 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

I've flown in the same day many times, always early morning flights, always non-stop (not direct...there is a difference).  That was due to work commitments.  But, these are not those same times when things were stable.  There are many hundreds to thousands (without exaggeration) of flights these days that are either delayed or outright cancelled.

The OP's plan is not a good one.  

I was about to post something very very similar to this. We have flown in the day of as well but that was years ago. The person getting all bent out of shape because people arent agreeing with her logic must not have cruised since the restart.

I always like to arrive a day or two early. For my next month Panorama Cruise I booked a flight two days before the cruise sails from Long Beach. I live in the San Jose CA area and I wanted to enjoy myself in Long Beach rather than rush to get to my cruise.  I found a goof AirBnB Condo next to the Port and I can have a leisurely morning relaxing on the balcony of my AirBnB and I only have to be out by 11:00 AM. 

On the return I booked a night at LAX Hampton Inn as the Alaska Air flight had me leaving at 9:00 PM and I would be waiting around LAX to checkin 4 hours before. Also I like a transition and I booked the 6:00 PM again having a leisurely morning breakfast and rest in my room before heading to LAX and to the Alaska Lounge as  I booked myself in First Class.

You see I understand that people have other obligations but I have built in  my flexible schedule to allow more time to not rush to the ship. 

I also booked a 6:00 AM PCR Test at SJC Airport before I checkin. I can checkin at 6:10 AM for a 10:10 AM flight and I can easily go to the Club@SJC lounge. My other PCR Test was at 8:30 cutting it very close. 

1 hour ago, Doggielover68 said:

The day prior is more than sufficient. I would never fly in the day of. I don't fly extremely often and yet probably half of my domestic flights are delayed for one reason or another. My most recent flight had a medical emergency. The flight before that had a mechanical problem and I sat on the plane at the gate for 2 hours...add weather, staffing shortages, baggage delays, etc and you're gonna have a bad time. 

Best of luck. 

Agree and even an inter California flight that is blocked in at 1:25 can turn into 4 hours due to weather, mechanical delays etc.

On 1/13/2022 at 8:03 PM, cruizergal70 said:

OP, never ask this question.  All the nervous folks will tell you to fly in days early.

Me, I'm okay with a bit of risk. I would look into getting the Carnival airport shuttle to the ship if available. 

It's okay until it's not. And then it's never your fault. Ask Gidgee McFoodle about that.

• Like 1

Echo the FLL alternative.  That's where we usually fly for either MIA or FLL cruise port departures.  I 'think' this is only our second time into MIA at the end of the month and we've probably done maybe 7-8 cruises out of south FLA. We now even have our favorite hotel zone in Dania Beach.

There’s not enough anxiety meds for me for that lol.

But we fly from Illinois so we have to worry about snow, ice etc. We have had issues in the past with delays due to snow storms in other areas of the country delaying the plain we need for our flight. We’ve sat in Atlanta for hours waiting on a delayed connection on more than one occasion.

So, my answer would be yes, it’s too late for me. But I don’t know your situation. Are you connecting a flight, non stop flight? It seems right because if your luggage gets lost or something else goes wrong there’s very little room for any errors on the airline’s part 

On 1/14/2022 at 10:05 AM, mikebisch said:

Best I can do without changing airlines is 1220.  Ugh.  So much for using Southwest points.

Is there a reason you can’t fly in the day before? I’m using Southwest points to fly to a cruise out of Galveston. I didn’t have enough points to begin with. They are currently running a sale on points. I was better off buying more points than paying cash. 

• Like 1