Border issue with Switch Health test

CruisinFinsUp

Thanks for sharing - if we were to continue with our planned cruise over March break, buying these tests ahead of time and bringing them with us to test on the last day of our cruise was exactly what I was planning on doing for our family of six. Another barrier, even if we decided it was safe to proceed. Yikes.

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Wow, can things get any more screwed up? Multiple agencies need to up their game, increase their training of front line personnel, and start using a bit of common sense.

They've all been working on the trucker vaccination file...

• Haha 1

I read that article this morning when someone linked to it on another forum.  I will say here what I said there, if we were in that position we would chose the option of 'coming home and facing the potential fine'.  Should that ever come to pass that 'fine' wouldn't be worth the paper it would be written on.  100% human error and someone who obviously cannot use their own common sense.  When is enough, enough of this?  Good heavens.  

• Like 4

That is very unfortunate that this happened to those travellers.

It seems that rules are being made, without actual thought to HOW they will play out.

And the inconsistencies are whats really frustrating.

I'm sure that many Canadians have used that test to enter Canada with no issues.

I am glad that the news is reporting on this.

• Like 2

Ok, guess I may as well give up. What a Cluster...

I purchase the box of 2 Antigen tests from Switch Health thinking I would be able to use them to enter the US and board Anthem of the Seas in March. I also purchased 2 RT-LAMP tests to get back home. Now it seems all these tests are not valid. These Antigen Tests are not FDA approved, and now it sounds like I may not get back by using the RT-LAMP tests.

I bought them early for two reasons, not sure about supply/demand in March. Plus for the RT-LAMP test I was thinking I could use them not only for the return to Canada after our cruise (now that seems to be questionable). But also because we cannot get PCR tests in Ontario, I thought if we happened to catch covid in the next few weeks, I could use them to get official documentation that we actually had Covid.

Thank you for posting this. We were just about to buy these tests.

Even though we cancelled our March cruise, we still have our flights to San Juan and we are holding on to them hoping maybe we can at least get away there for the week and enjoy the beaches.

I am not very knowledgable about availability of testing in San Juan and thought we would buy these as a back up, in case we cant find a place to book PCR tests. Ugh, sounds like we should wait and see how this rolls out. 

We’re transiting the Panama Canal with NCL in April and were planning on using the test bought through aeroplan. We were going to do it on the ship in our last port in Mexico (for cell use) but after reading this I’m not so sure. I don’t know what location would show. Now I’m seriously thinking about just doing it at the port when we dock. So much confusion!

• Like 1

Came to this forum to figure out how I am going to make a March Break cruise work. I tested positive for covid a few weeks ago, but couldnt get a PCR (I used a test my son brought home)-- was hoping to be able to use that instead of trying to find a PCR test.

We traveled in Nov and Dec and both times booked Walgreens Drivethru ID NOW tests without issue, had the results in hours and used them flying and driving back into Canada. I see now there are problems with this-- not sure if it is a timing thing? (people not reserving a week out) or just a general shortage.

Now I'm REALLY not sure what to do .

7 hours ago, odaisydukeo said:

Came to this forum to figure out how I am going to make a March Break cruise work. I tested positive for covid a few weeks ago, but couldnt get a PCR (I used a test my son brought home)-- was hoping to be able to use that instead of trying to find a PCR test.

We traveled in Nov and Dec and both times booked Walgreens Drivethru ID NOW tests without issue, had the results in hours and used them flying and driving back into Canada. I see now there are problems with this-- not sure if it is a timing thing? (people not reserving a week out) or just a general shortage.

Hello Welcome.

A couple of suggestions to help you out.

1 - if you think you will still test positive pay the cost for a private PCR test. You can come back into Canada with a positive test between 10 - 180 days. You may test negative on an antigen test, which will allow you to enter the U.S. and get on your cruise, but then you'll be stuck.

If you test negative on that PCR test then you know you'll be fine for your trip.

2 - From what has been posted online with real people's experiences it is a shortage in the U.S. with testing. American cruisers who used to be able to access free testing are having to pay because where they used to be able to test in July/August are no longer doing testing.

The biggest issue right now is that the Federal travel website was updated Jan 10th to indicate that if you drove across the border with a positive test less then 10 days old you MAY be fined $5000 per person.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Hello Welcome.

A couple of suggestions to help you out.

1 - if you think you will still test positive pay the cost for a private PCR test. You can come back into Canada with a positive test between 10 - 180 days. You may test negative on an antigen test, which will allow you to enter the U.S. and get on your cruise, but then you'll be stuck.

If you test negative on that PCR test then you know you'll be fine for your trip.

2 - From what has been posted online with real people's experiences it is a shortage in the U.S. with testing. American cruisers who used to be able to access free testing are having to pay because where they used to be able to test in July/August are no longer doing testing.

The biggest issue right now is that the Federal travel website was updated Jan 10th to indicate that if you drove across the border with a positive test less then 10 days old you MAY be fined $5000 per person.

My son is in the similar situation. He tested positive and ended up using a Switch Health LAMP test from Aeroplan to get an official positive  result he can use to get back into Canada for the next 180 days. 

I think you can enter the U.S with a positive LAMP test result as  long as you have a letter from your doctor' for 90 days post test result,  but my understanding is the cruise lines require a negative antigen test result to get on the ship.  So if a cruiser tests positive on the antigen test they can still get into the states but they cannot cruise.

Trying to understand all these Covid rules for various countries and industries reminds me of trying to understand the assembly instructions to those toys we used to buy for the kids for Christmas. 🤪

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2

Unfortunately I was sick over a week ago. I couldn’t get a PCR test and I didn’t know that I should go pay for one! I am sure I am negative now, but I could maybe try an antigen test.

As far as the testing by Walgreens we went end of Nov and early Jan in Vegas and Daytona respectively.  I went online and did a mock booking near cruise ports and seems like I could get an appt. Mind you, you can only book a week out.

We drove across early Jan without issue. I’m more worried I may not be able to get a test. 
I am pretty confident with double vax and having it that I have had my share of Covid!

I guess the logistics of getting of a ship, getting a test and getting home in 48 hours is the problem. Maybe the Switch Health ones will be recognized and that will solve part of the problem!!

19 minutes ago, odaisydukeo said:

Unfortunately I was sick over a week ago. I couldn’t get a PCR test and I didn’t know that I should go pay for one! I am sure I am negative now, but I could maybe try an antigen test.

As far as the testing by Walgreens we went end of Nov and early Jan in Vegas and Daytona respectively.  I went online and did a mock booking near cruise ports and seems like I could get an appt. Mind you, you can only book a week out.

We drove across early Jan without issue. I’m more worried I may not be able to get a test. 
I am pretty confident with double vax and having it that I have had my share of Covid!

I guess the logistics of getting of a ship, getting a test and getting home in 48 hours is the problem. Maybe the Switch Health ones will be recognized and that will solve part of the problem!!

The Switch Health LAMP test is approved for entry into Canada.

If you have 48 hours to get off the ship and get home you have a lot of time.

You can get a test at the airport, even if you aren't travelling.

You can get a test at a drug store, if you want to chance it.

You can do the LAMP test after you get off the ship, and thus not have to worry about ship wifi.

Now be careful when you say you have had your share of Covid.

I cruised in December and there were A LOT of people who tested positive either while on the ship, or after.

Some were o.k with it but others were shocked and angry and upset 😞 

My best suggestion for cruising right now is to assume you will get Covid while on the ship and to have a back up plan.

19 minutes ago, odaisydukeo said:

My understanding is that you can still test positive with a PCR/LAMP test for 90 days + post infection. Antigen tests are not as sensitive, so you might test negative with an antigen test in March but still test positive with a PCR/LAMP test the same day.  Getting a positive PCR/LAMP test result before you go to the States will allow you to re-enter Canada after the 10 day waiting period and up to 180 days. If you wait until near the end of your cruise to get the re-entry PCR test and you test positive, the 10 day wait period starts then. If you get an early PCR positive test you start the clock when you want to. 

Getting an early positive PCR test result is like buying insurance that you can get back in the country when you want to without the risk of getting fined. At $150 for the Switch test , it seems like cheap insurance to me. 

• Like 4

Just wanted to repeat that not everyone tests positive for weeks and weeks after getting Covid.

So unless you get a PCR/LAMP test right away it is possible to test negative on both an antigen and  LAMP/PCR, meaning that you can't use the previous positive test ticket.

31 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

My understanding is that you can still test positive with a PCR/LAMP test for 90 days + post infection. Antigen tests are not as sensitive, so you might test negative with an antigen test in March but still test positive with a PCR/LAMP test the same day.  Getting a positive PCR/LAMP test result before you go to the States will allow you to re-enter Canada after the 10 day waiting period and up to 180 days. If you wait until near the end of your cruise to get the re-entry PCR test and you test positive, the 10 day wait period starts then. If you get an early PCR positive test you start the clock when you want to. 

Getting an early positive PCR test result is like buying insurance that you can get back in the country when you want to without the risk of getting fined. At $150 for the Switch test , it seems like cheap insurance to me. 

Interesting.

So buy the test a few weeks before and even if it shows positive it will be within the parameters.

I plan on getting the Switch Health and doing it after getting off the ship and the day before I fly/drive home. 

thank you everyone for the advice. 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 11:08 AM, d9704011 said:

They've all been working on the trucker vaccination file...

LOL, agreed.  Nothing like taking our already tight supply chain and squeezing it more, just to get 20K more Canadians vaccinated.  Yesterday’s top story was inflation and this mandate isn’t going to help. Lord knows, at this point half of those 20K unvaccinated drivers have probably been infected since December. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by A&L_Ont

21 hours ago, odaisydukeo said:

If you are flying, the LAMP tests should work. Seems to be a disconnect in their acceptance between airport and land borders for some strange reason. Since the test is being administered in the States, they should be accepted for re-entry: very strange that they aren't or at least weren't in the reported case.

Out of sheer curiosity, do you mind sharing the cost of the rapid PCR tests you did via Walgreens? My parents may yet proceed with a cruise in April and are looking at options for re-entry PCR test. If supply is good at that time, this option may work for them.

Thanks! 

On 1/16/2022 at 1:03 PM, K_e_short said:

That is very unfortunate that this happened to those travellers.

It seems that rules are being made, without actual thought to HOW they will play out.

And the inconsistencies are whats really frustrating.

I'm sure that many Canadians have used that test to enter Canada with no issues.

I am glad that the news is reporting on this.

yes but they wont report on all the successful times it was used now will they.

• Thanks 1