Butchart Gardens summer hours?

llarsen

Hello,

We will be in Vancouver on Princess in August. Our port time is 7:30PM-11:59PM which is disappointing to me.

I know the sun doesn't set until late in Alaska, but we really want to see Butchart Gardens.

There is a ship tour available, so I am assuming the gardens are open...but on their website I cannot see opening hours for Summer listed.

Also, Is it better to get a cab to the gardens so we can see on our own or would the ship tour give us the best of it since they are familiar with the layout?

Thanks!

LINKs:

The Butchart Gardens – Over 100 Years in Bloom – Victoria, Canada

This one has the map of the gardens - browse - - -

BUTCHART GARDENS - Bing

You could do the tour on your own - a cab would work - - - "BUT" !

But see what your cruise line is offering as a shore excursion.

Best in that you would be protected by the cruise line in case of accident or delay and

would have an all inclusive group rate with charter bus transportation 

54 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I believe the gardens are only open for the ship tours.

The Gardens are open now -WINTER- hours.

There are visitors from Vancouver and the Canadian mainland as well as US folks

that come for the day visit - ah er Covid restrictions allowing !

The Gardens are opened to more than just cruise line shore excursions in the summer.

There may be extended hours for the shore excursions and visiting the website

there is quite a light show at night in season.

Definitely worth the visit - have the opportunity to do this - don't miss it !

You probably mean you will be in Victoria.

If there is a ship's tour - I would strongly recommend it, even if your time is limited. Often the gardens open later for ship's tours (comment someone mentioned above).

There used to be fireworks on certain nights also. Not sure if this is still true.

With your limited time - take the ship's tour if offered.

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, llarsen said:

Hello,

We will be in Vancouver on Princess in August. Our port time is 7:30PM-11:59PM which is disappointing to me.

I know the sun doesn't set until late in Alaska, but we really want to see Butchart Gardens.

There is a ship tour available, so I am assuming the gardens are open...but on their website I cannot see opening hours for Summer listed.

Also, Is it better to get a cab to the gardens so we can see on our own or would the ship tour give us the best of it since they are familiar with the layout?

Thanks!

Based on those docking times, I assume your ship is docking in Victoria, which is on Vancouver Island. Be aware that the gardens are about 15 miles from the cruise terminal, but that includes driving through Victoria, with many intersections and traffic lights. I would allow 40 min each way.

You also need to consider that if the ship experienced any weather in the Pacific Ocean, the arrival in Victoria can be delayed, further reducing time ashore.

Personally, if I was going to the gardens, I would only book a tour with the ship. Sunset in early August will be about 21:00 and at the end of August is about 20:00, as Victoria is well south of Alaska.

3 hours ago, llarsen said:

Hi!

Thank you for your reply. Yes, our cruise (Crown Princess) will arrive in Victoria. 

We will be there in early August.

I'm just hoping the gardens are open late...

If it is showing as a shore excursion then the Gardens will be open long enough to

enjoy it for at least a couple of hours. This unless there is a problem delay in making

the port call at Victoria. If cancelled you won't be out any money but the experience

will definitely be missed - Look forward to it !

They might be open late but only for cruise ship excursions.  With your limited shore time I would definitely book the ship's tour.  However by that time of year it will be getting dark by the time you get there so while there are lovely evening lights all throughout, you might not be able to actually see the flowers.

On 1/16/2022 at 7:38 PM, llarsen said:

Hi!

Thank you for your reply. Yes, our cruise (Crown Princess) will arrive in Victoria. 

We will be there in early August.

I'm just hoping the gardens are open late...

Is it offered as a tour through Princess?

7 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

I am more curious if it is offered on the OP specific cruise. Not on a generic port website for the cruise line. It may depend on the day of the week the tour is offered, etc.... I have seen excursions listed on the generic website and not offered on my specific cruise.

Edited by Coral

• 2 weeks later...

Butchart Gardens replied to my email saying that due to the pandemic their summer hours are not set and she was not sure if they will be open beyond 5:00pm during summer. She said that if they are open to a cruise ship tour, then they will be open to the public.