Just Off Liberty OTS January 9-16, 2022

DCPIV

So, the tl;dr review is simple: GREAT CRUISE!

Now, the very expanded version:

Just a little background on us We’ve sailed with RCI many times (about 20 for me and more than that for DW), and this was our fourth time on Liberty, so we’re very familiar with both the line and the ship.  However, this was an unusual cruise for us in a couple ways.  First, this was our first RCI cruise since the restart (we’ve been on other lines), and it’s the first since omicron really came on the scene, so we were a little curious and a little anxious.  Something also unusual was that we were travelling with and sharing a cabin with a friend.  “Sharing a cabin” isn’t entirely correct, I suppose, because we had booked a two-bedroom suite, but it still was closer quarters than we had travelled with anyone other than one of our children.  As it turned out, everything worked out very well.

Embarkation – Embarkation was fairly smooth and easy.  They made everyone wait outside the terminal until 11:00 AM.  There were different lines for different arrival times, but nothing was marked.  You just had to ask where to go and then go where they directed you.  Signs would be nice, but it all seemed to work out.  Inside the terminal looked pretty much like it did when we last cruised out of Galveston in 2019.  The security area was the biggest bottleneck since they were checking vaccine records against everyone’s passports and Set Sail Passes.  Also, there were no priority check-in areas for suites or loyalty levels.  Frankly, because the security area was the bottleneck, I don’t know how much difference priority check-in would have made.

After check-in, we went upstairs to an also familiar area where groups were set up for boarding.  Since we were in a suite, we were directed over to Suites/Key area and directed to seats.  It looked they were trying to distance because they were directing parties to keep a seat between each other, but they didn’t quite get the effect they wanted.  They weren’t skipping rows, so many of us were essentially back to back with others.  Again, I don’t think it’s anything worth getting into a twist about.  We all were masked, and we were only there for a few minutes before we were called to board right at 11:30 AM.

Once on board, we thought we would head right over to our muster station and get that done, but it turns out that we couldn’t do that check-in until after 1 PM.  Again, no big deal.  We just headed up to the Windjammer and grabbed a bite.  They were handing out plates and everything was served, but it otherwise was the same ol’ Windjammer.  We were offered a glass of bubbly on the way in, and that was a nice touch.  The food was as good as before, and we all enjoyed it.  Bar servers were all over the place, too.  Some tables were marked off not to be used in order to have some distancing, but no one seemed to care. 

Initial Tour – It was our friend’s first cruise, so we wanted to show her around the ship.  We decided to make our way up to the chapel and then just work our way down.  That was actually pretty fun!  It was a nice way to get reacquainted.  Our friend was very impressed with the ship.  Frankly, so was I.  Liberty definitely is looking a little tired in some areas, but she’s in pretty good shape when you consider everything that’s been going on.  Other than big screen at the pool being out, the only “tired” was purely cosmetic—worn carpet and stuff like that, but nothing that would cause any trouble.  I believe I heard someone say that Liberty missed a dry dock last year.

Our Room – We were in a two-bedroom Grand Suite, and we were very happy with the room.  The sitting room was very nice to have!  We made quite a bit of use of it, as it was quite comfortable.  It was very nice to have such a comfortable quiet place.  The bedrooms were a nice size and comfortable.  Our bedroom had a tub, and DF’s had a shower.

There was plenty of storage—more than we’d ever need—but it was in odd places.  We had a wardrobe in our room, but the one that seemed intended for DF (i.e., for the person in the interior room) was in the hall.  Our room only had a few drawers, so we had some of our clothes out in the sitting room where there were all sorts of drawers.  It was a minor inconvenience and something we had no trouble living with, but it could potentially be very awkward for some.

If we had any real disappointment, it was the balcony.  It was enormous, but it had no cover at all.  That turned out to be a problem as we had a few rainy days, so the balcony would be soaked.  On the other days, it usually had no shade.  Add that up, and we spent very little time out there during the days and not at all on a few nights.  While that aft view may be good and wide, it also was broken up by a bunch of seemingly purely aesthetic design elements.  Also, there was no privacy whatsoever.  Anyone with aft rooms above us had a virtually unobstructed view of our balcony.  Kind of weird.  Thankfully, we got along well with our upstairs neighbors!  This was our first time in an aft cabin, and I was really looking forward to it.  However, I’m now rather ambivalent about it and probably prefer something on the side of the ship with some cover and privacy.

Something else that was weird about our room was that we could not control the volume of the announcement speakers.  Our bedroom, our bathroom, and the sitting room always had this very low murmur of music going on.  We couldn’t turn it up, and we couldn’t turn it off, no matter what we did.  Fortunately, it was so quiet in our bedroom and the sitting room that it would be covered up by just about any other sound.  It was a little louder in our bathroom (just loud enough to actually make out words), but we just shut the door.  The whole thing was more funny than inconvenient.  I never even thought about it when not in the room and nearly forgot to mention it now.

Bars & Lounges – The bars and lounges most certainly were open for business.  Supply issues were obvious, though.  Selections were more limited than in the past, but it was a fairly minor adjustment in the end.  We hit up pretty much every location on the ship, but we typically were out by the pool during the day and at the R Bar in the evening and night.  Service typically was excellent with minor hiccups, and it could be spotty around the pool—you could have three waiters check on you in five minutes and then see no one for an hour. 

One of the hiccups actually was sort of funny.  I ordered a Martini, and I asked for it to be stirred.  The waiter clarified “not shaken.”  I confirmed, “yes, not shaken.”  Someone must have been a bit new at what they were doing because, while I most certainly got a Martini that was not shaken, it also wasn’t stirred.  It wasn’t chilled at all.  I just had to laugh that one off and remind myself that it’s just good to be on a cruise.

We spent very little time in the Suite Lounge because it was open to unvaccinated and there were unvaccinated kids in there from time to time.  We had other good choices, we had premium drink plans, and we really didn’t need anything from our concierge, Amit, so we couldn’t quite make it make sense.  DW and DF grabbed a quick drink up there one evening because DW wanted a little bite in the early evening, and all three of us spent some time up there on the last night, but that was it. 

Let me mention that Marshall (in the R Bar) is one of those bartenders you'll remember forever.  He was creative and fun, always happy to see you, and just an interesting and good person all around.  His colleagues in the R Bar also seemed to be the same, but I regret to say that we didn't get to know them as well.  Our DF even conceived of a different drink (an espresso Martini made with jalapeno vodka).  He thought about it for a minute, then made it, and DF loved it.  Next thing you know, all sorts of folks are drinking it, and he never failed to give DF credit.  Great guy, Marshall!

Dining and Food – Food was quite good!  We had a few disappointments, mostly minor, but those were greatly outweighed by how good everything else was.  Breakfast in Chops was always nice and even fun, and Windjammer breakfast was at least as good as I recall in the past.  We had a light, late breakfast in Café Promenade one morning, and that also was nice.  Windjammer had very good options, but the fish sometimes had a muddy taste to it.  Johnny Rockets was a lot of fun both from the food and service (excellent onion rings!)  Dinner in Giovanni’s and Chops was very good each time we went to one of those, and Chops seemed even better than I recall.  The “rack of lamb” in Chops was outstanding. The ribeye was terrific one night but was pretty tough another night.  Everything in Giovanni’s was at least very good (maybe with the exception of the “porchetta,” which was more like a pork meatloaf than a rolled roast).

Our friend loved Sabor, and I know many others feel the same was, but I just can’t get into it.  It seems like they just do many things differently just for the sake of doing something different but without much rhyme or reason as whether it's any good.  The guacamole is good, and that might be because they didn’t do anything oddball with it.  The shrimp taco was in a bland, cold, soft flour tortilla that tasted like it came out of a plastic bag without so much as a moment heated up.  The pulled pork taco was sweet and sort of goopy.  The calamari was pretty good but nothing to write home about and heavily sauced.  The chicken-stuffed jalapenos were terrific, though.  I don’t know if Sabor is just a little too close to home or if it’s that I can’t get my head wrapped around any extra charge for it or if I just like other places so much more.  I'm glad it's there for those who enjoy it, but it's not for me.  If I ever go back, it will be for lunch or just to make someone happy.  Fortunately, DW largely shares my impression.

Entertainment – We didn’t go to any of the shows (not really our thing), but the folks we talked to about shows gave lukewarm reviews.  I know they are hurting because of covid, so I give them a pass on all that.  Other activities were more limited in the past, mostly because there were no pool games.  There was no live music at the pool (there has been recently, so I suspect that’s also a covid matter, but I never confirmed that), but we tended to enjoy what they were playing (and the DJ usually took control for an hour or so during the day).  There was a LOT of trivia.  The nightclub was open every night, and there also was karaoke every night.  They did silent disco (twice, I think).

Unfortunately, the music in the bars and lounges left something to be desired.  I don’t know if it’s a matter of covid or cost cutting or what, but the performers weren’t as good as I recall from past cruises.  Actually, the band in Bolero’s was terrific, but they stopped performing after a few days (we assumed that was a covid issue but never actually confirmed it).  It’s not that the others were bad, mind you.  They were proficient, and they usually were fun, and plenty of folks enjoyed it.  The Cool Band was very good when the female vocalist was singing but far less so when she wasn't.  Many of the vocalists relied a great deal on Auto-Tune, and that creates a sound that I typically find flat and unappealing.  Again, these were some times that I just had to adjust my attitude, remind myself that it’s good to be cruising, and enjoy it.

Service – I can’t say enough about the crew.  They were a joy to be around, and we received excellent service.  There were many smiles and greetings and jokes, and even some dancing, and all that was mixed in with the excellent service.  Yes, there was the rare hiccup, but I’ll emphasize that it was rare and it often was something easy to laugh about.  Nothing makes a bigger difference than the crew, and they were wonderful.

Excursions – Excursions were handled a bit differently than in the past.  Like before, our early excursion met in the theater, but no one was looking at tickets or giving out stickers or anything like that.  We all sat in there, and then we were called out to leave by rows and then sorted out on the pier.  That was at Costa Maya, and I was there recently on a Celebrity cruise, so I knew they had that sorting area.  It worked just fine, but it was different.  Our Cozumel excursion didn’t leave until 10:00 AM, so I wasn’t surprised that we just met on the pier for that. 

In Costa Maya, we went to see the Kohunlich ruins.  That was a terrific day!  It’s a long (2 hour), bumpy drive out there, but it was totally worth it.  The ruins were staggering.  It’s a large site, so there is plenty to see.  You are free to climb and wander around almost anywhere on the ruins, so you really get a good look at how things were put together.  The only areas I recall not being allowed on were some areas on the Pyramid of the Masks, but you still can climb up the center stairs and get great, close-up views of the masks.  Our tour guide (Jesus) was marvelous—passionate, knowledgeable, and a great sense of humor.  We had a sack lunch provided, and Jesus joked that the fairly unremarkable ham-and-cheese sandwiches were “authentic Mayan sandwiches.”  I remarked back that they were more like “Oscar Mayan sandwiches,” and he got a kick out of that.  I highly recommend this tour (or, at least, visiting this site) if you are interested in Mayan culture.

For Cozumel, we did the “Mexology” cocktail-making excursion that went to Blu (part of Dolphinaris).  One of the reasons we went was because it sounded fun, but we also wanted to go back to Blu (a great spot).  Boy, was this fun!  Everyone paired up, and each pair had their own bar station.  Carlos, our “guide” took us through making two cocktails (classic Margarita and jalapeno Margarita) and some guacamole.  Then, we broke to enjoy the guacamole, our drinks (to the extent we hadn’t already enjoyed them), and some extra snacks they provided.  They also provided an additional classic Margarita, if you were so inclined.  They reset the stations while we were eating, and then we went back to make two more cocktails (a mango-hibiscus take on a Mojito and a tequila Mudslide).  After that, we could relax around Blu for about 45 minutes before heading back to the ship.  This was a LOT of fun, but I’ll caution anyone that it’s VERY easy to overindulge (but that might be the idea!)

Covid Stuff – As I imagine everyone knows by now, masks were required at all times when indoors and not eating or drinking.  Compliance with that rule was very good, and many were wearing KN-95 and even what looked like honest-to-goodness N-95.  All crew were double-masked, and it was not at all unusual to see that on a guest.  Yes, I would see the occasional person with their nose poking out, but it really was occasional.  I can think of only three incidents where I saw someone walking around without a mask at all, and two of those asked for new masks when I saw them.

Mexican authorities are very strict about masking while on transportation and indoors, just so you know, but masks can come off while outside.

Those of us that were vaccinated were given the ribbon-style wristbands at check-in.  I wasn’t looking forward to that, but it turned out to be no big deal at all.  At first, I kept thinking that my watch had come undone.  However, I nearly got over that by the end of the first day.  By the end of second day, it was like it wasn’t even there.  We were allowed to keep them loose enough so that we could slip them off if we wanted to, and I did that for showering, sleeping, and massages.  I didn’t go around staring at passengers’ wrists, but I don’t recall noticing an adult that wasn’t wearing a “vaccinated” wristband.

I don’t know if there were cases on board.  I never asked and never heard.  I was always in the wrong place to hear the Captain’s midday announcement, so I don’t know if he mentioned any.  I do know that I never saw a couple of families after the first couple of days (and they seemed to have a spot staked out), but it’s no more than wild speculation as to what happened there. 

We were a little surprised to see someone covering for Amit on the last night, so we asked what happened.  She told us that he had developed a cough.  He had tested negative for covid, but he was quarantining out of an abundance of caution.  We appreciated that.

Debarkation – I wish I could say that things ended on a fantastic note, but they did not.  We went down to the Schooner Bar for the suite debarkation, and things seemed to be going well.  When we were called to go check out, the card scanner wasn’t working (something about the internet).  So, here we are standing on the deck in 40 degree weather and watching all the other walk-offs walking off.  We were like that for 10 minutes.  Finally, they let us go over to the scanner that is working, but by the time we get there it’s not working any longer.  They say something about the internet not working, and we wait there another 15 minutes or so until things start working again and we’re allowed to leave.  Needless to say this didn’t leave us with a pleasant impression on the way out.

What irritated me (and the rest of us) the most was that they have this critical system that appears to rely on wifi and internet, yet they seem to have no backup plan when wifi or internet fail (which obviously happens). 

Fortunately, everything else about debarkation was smooth as silk (facial recognition is fantastic), so there’s no way we would let that snafu mess up the marvelous week we just had.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Something else I forgot to mention:

It's a new practice that you don't get your key cards at check-in.  They are in your room.  It's a minor inconvenience and a little awkward because you can't get to your room until around 1:30-2 PM, so you have to use your SetSail Pass like a card if you're charging anything or using a package.

It's not a big deal, but it's something we weren't aware of until we were on board.  When we sailed on Celebrity, we were able to take our carry-ons to our room and get our cards.  We were asked to clear out right after that and not return until 1:30, but it was nice to get that much done.

Very similar to many of my observations way back dec 12th. Liberty seemed a little tired decor wise. The big tv up by the pool wasnt working when I was on either. Who is Amit?  We had a lady with a british accent we couldnt understand her announcements. Never saw her that I remember.

Agree with the shows so so. And I usually am easy to please. I kept wondering if it was me.

I'm back on in 2 weeks ... hope things stay positive. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

This is unacceptable............so much for protocols to allow this, why bother?

Didn't use the " Suite Lounge because it was open to unvaccinated" 

What? Kids booked into suites have access. 

Its diamond lounge unvaccinated are kept out. Diamond is right across from the suite lounge. Same area but suite lounge is unvaccinated.. 

OP what deck were you on. I think I have a corner aft deck 9. Now you have me wondering if its covered. Now that you mention it I dont remember bands at the pool, though I cant remember to previous cruise on liberty. Similar ..they were strict on my excursion about masks too.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

9404, the other side. ... But you got the right deck. I tried to peek in when I was on, but the door was never open and cleaning .. you guessed very close.

my DD and DSIL had the opposite - 9404.   Most of it was exposed to the sun.    It was like a hybrid OV/balcony.    Opposite the bed was a huge round window with a window seat,   There is a glass door - normal door size- to swing out to go on balcony,  it is not a wall to wall slider door.   While the balcony door was not as expected, they liked  the view.

Check YouTube for Liberty of the seas 9404 - there are multiple videos of that cabin.

I don’t know if opposite cabin (yours) has same door/window set up. 

Edited by BSocial
Added
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Try to get Cabin 7688 or 7388, those 2 are the largest balconies on the entire ship. Larger then the Suites.

I cant if this is to me. My TA said need to have 3 to book deck 7 balconys afts. Yes I've heard they are bigger. .. I'd need to rent a couple more pax ... maybe closer to sailing allowed, but I booked a long time ago to snag one. 

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I cant if this is to me. My TA said need to have 3 to book deck 7 balconys afts. Yes I've heard they are bigger. .. I'd need to rent a couple more pax ... maybe closer to sailing allowed, but I booked a long time ago to snag one. 

We have booked it before with 2 persons.

Just now, Jimbo said:

We have booked it before with 2 persons.

Well I was in the middle of being transferred from allure in a hump D2 to a d4 aft on liberty. My ta said decide now what do you want a hump or aft. He said that's what he could get them to do. Even getting downgraded on a price protected move was a extra from rcl. It was a move, allure to liberty, not a new booking, decide right now while I'm on the phone thing. I said yes.

I'm sure I'll be ok. The review from the OP sounds like my dec cruise .. which was very good. Interesting about the balcony not being covered. OP nice review. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You can also add a TBD 3rd guest and then cancel the 3rd person later.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

This is unacceptable............so much for protocols to allow this, why bother?

Didn't use the " Suite Lounge because it was open to unvaccinated" 

I really do not understand the issue.  Right now just as many fully vaccinated people are getting and spreading the virus.  Worse most do not even realize they have it because of no symptoms. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, micruiser2002 said:

You can also add a TBD 3rd guest and then cancel the 3rd person later.

I'm solo and getting solo loyalty pts .. but thanks. I'm happy. Will be plenty big for just me. I plan to enjoy the view and not worry about what someone else wants me to do. 

6 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

@DCPIV Glad to see you’re cruising again and had fun! 

We both loved the Oscar Mayan joke! 

It's good to hear from y'all!  Here's hoping you're also back on board again soon!

33 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

I really do not understand the issue.  Right now just as many fully vaccinated people are getting and spreading the virus.  Worse most do not even realize they have it because of no symptoms. 

Must have bothered the OP. Understand?

Edited by Jimbo