Re: Covid test appts in port city ? Questions.

mlbcruiser

We are not cruising for another month but will need to get covid tests within 48 hours of boarding our ship .  We will be arriving in FLL 4 days prior to our cruise to visit a close relative, so can’t be tested before we leave home Some have said they made an appointment with this or that pharmacy ahead of time so as not to risk not getting an appointment at the last minute.

I reslize appointments aren’t set up

as early as a month on advance. Yet I did check a chain pharmacy website and looked at the required forms & process to set up an appointment. You are supposed to list where are you live on one of the forms. There are the usual questions regarding if you have been referred by a doctor to get tested, have you been in contact with someone who has Covid ? Are you getting a Covid test for travel reasons?  At the end of the question section, you must check a block swearing you were telling truth.  I’m a bit concerned that once I am a week or two from needing the test and try to set up sn appointment time,  not living in the FLL to  area could knock me out of being able to get sn appointment. 

If you got tested in or near your port city and got an appointment ahead of time, did you run into any issues since you were not a local resident? Did you have an appointment to get tested at a FL pharmacy? Did have to list where you  live and did you  tell the truth? 

Any tips or first hand advice on this matter will beh greatly appreciated. 

We looked at the same thing and will be in Florida visiting for 8 days prior to our cruise.  We just assumed the zip code and address we use will be the hotel where we are staying at the time because that will be where we are "living" at the time.  I won't be scheduling it for another week or so though as our cruise is 2/7.  Hope that's the right thing to do.

We live in Fort Lauderdale and had friends from Maryland visit prior to their cruise in December.  They had their test at our local Walgreens and had no issue using their home address.  If you decide to go the Walgreens route (as we did at the beginning of January), bookings open 7 days in advance.  I logged on at 12:05 am and got to chose from all the appointment for that day (one every 15 minutes so a couple would need back to back appointments).  Good luck!

Added:  You do have to show photo ID which if using a drivers license has your address.  Again, not a problem for our friends.

Edited by capriccio

Thank you both so much for your replies. first I figured I would use my brother’s address, but then I figured we would also have to show our driver’s licenses. Didn’t know if that would screw things up or not.  
espmass, if you think of it, please post how your experience goes. Both with regard to getting your appointment and also whether your test procedure goes smoothly. Some people have said they have gotten notices not too far in advance that their appointment was canceled (by the pharmacy the appointment was with). With these Covid tests becoming available through the government soon, maybe the run on appointments won’t be so bad because not everyone has to have anything but a home test result. I have never used zoom & my cell phone is small so not that great for test purposes. Besides that, the tests where you are monitored via live feed are not free. 

Good luck to us all!