Covid Pill Just got approval in Canada

loman

While the approval of Paxlovid is a hugely positive step forward, it can only be prescribed for patients who have tested positive. Given the severe restrictions on who can get a test, at least in Ontario, it appears that a significant portion of the intended target group will not be able to benefit from the drug because they won't be able to get the requisite test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Reenie75 said:

"About 1.08 per cent of fully vaccinated air travellers from abroad who were tested between Nov. 28 and Dec. 25 yielded a positive COVID-19 test result, according to the Public Health Agency of Canada."

I'm finally a one-percenter! 🥳

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

CTV News coverage on the approval of Paxlovid included information that anyone on anticoagulants can not use this drug. That's a pretty significant number of Canadians who will not be able to benefit from Paxlovid. 

Isn’t that anyone over 60🤔😁

also just because you Covid should you take Paxlovid 

I know one person who got covid around New Years , ( they used a quick test for results, since they could get a PCR test) they felt like have a bad cold for about 4 days than they were over it 

will Paxlovid get you over it sooner ? 4 days is pretty quick 

30,000 treatments in Canada right now.  If I remember 100,000+ more to arrive by end of February or March.  

The nation potentially could use all of them in less than a week right now.  With the speed Omicron is going I think/hope that the by the time the extra treatments arrive they won’t be needed. 🤞

15 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Isn’t that anyone over 60🤔😁

also just because you Covid should you take Paxlovid 

I know one person who got covid around New Years , ( they used a quick test for results, since they could get a PCR test) they felt like have a bad cold for about 4 days than they were over it 

will Paxlovid get you over it sooner ? 4 days is pretty quick 

I suspect that there will be some interesting decisions to be made ahead. PHAC currently recommends prioritizing severely immune-compromised patients and people over 80 who don’t have all their vaccines, yet members of these two groups are highly likely to be on blood thinners.  

• Like 1

While I recognize that not everyone will qualify for it, or need it, I hope this helps leads to better management. I mean there are those who are asymptomatic, or who have mild symptoms, obviously they shouldn't need a prescription to help get over it. But for those who are poorly but perhaps not needing hospital, or not yet? Then perhaps that will help keep them out of hospital and prevent these drastic surges in ICU beds being taken up and restrictions... That's my hope! 

• Like 2

I do like that people are feeling positive about this.

It is definitely a way forward with this pandemic.

But I honestly do not see an end to this any time soon. Sorry to sound so negative but from a travel perspective I think we are looking at another year or more. 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

I do like that people are feeling positive about this.

It is definitely a way forward with this pandemic.

But I honestly do not see an end to this any time soon. Sorry to sound so negative but from a travel perspective I think we are looking at another year or more. 😞

I am more optimistic today than any time through this journey. Where we are today, VS a year ago we are in a much better spot.  Yes, Omicron is a battle and Covid will be around forever in some form but it’s severity is lessening. I feel we will be in the endemic stage sooner than later.  

IMO Canadian media isn’t helping with optimism and if Canada is going for a zero Covid number approach it is very unrealistic.  

International travelling is not going to be easy for a while, especially if one has responsibilities/no flexibility.  Another words you can go to the states for 4 months, but 7 days might be a bigger battle.  The “maybe” 5K fine for the return with Covid is prime example. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 2

The Pfizer pill will be used for the unvaccinated, but one of the major reason people are unvaccinated because of the unknown of side effects of the Covid vaccine 

are these people going to take a new pill that interacts with other medications and has unknow side effects 🤔😉

Edited by Airbalancer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

The Pfizer pill will be used for the unvaccinated, but one of the major reason people are unvaccinated because of the unknown of side effects of the Covid vaccine 

are these people going to take a new pill that interacts with other medications and has unknow side effects 🤔😉

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

They would show up at the emergency ward and possibly leave with a prescription rather than occupying a hospital bed. 

• Like 1

I too read pill would be administered primarily to the unvaccinated who had COVID.  Reason was since it was not a vaccine they may be more willing to take it to cure them.  As I understand it is to be used on infected person only, it is not a preventative.

6 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

The Pfizer pill will be used for the unvaccinated, but one of the major reason people are unvaccinated because of the unknown of side effects of the Covid vaccine are these people going to take a new pill that interacts with other medications and has unknow side effects 🤔😉

Then there is the other group opposed the the vaccines, this would be like getting the “chip” in pill form VS the liquid form. 😉🤔

• Haha 1