• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Cruise insurance

Looks like for $200 you can book the "Cruise Care" travel protection on the X site.  Normally, I do not get insurance like this, but with Covid, reconsidering.  Possibly going 2/26 or 3/5.  I know it's a personal decision, but just wondering if anyone has had to use this.  I do have good medical insurance, but the medical evacuation or expenses in a foreign country could be expensive.  Thoughts?  Thanks, Kris

My opinion only... I always get Cruise insurance for every cruise.  I do it incase some issue arises and I have to cancel.  Only time I had to use it was when my Mom passed away 2 weeks before a European cruise and I had to handle the estate.  It was well worth the premiums.  

But.. if your only concern is Covid, I don't think you need it.  If you read Celebrity's Covid guarantees, if you test positive for Covid within 14 days of your cruise you get a full refund,  Additionally you can cancel up to 48 hours prior to sailing and get 100% Future Cruise Credit (must be used in a specific time).   

As for medical issues, compare Celebrity to other  policies for what is best FOR YOU.  I normally arrange my own flights, hotels, etc. so I need coverage beyond just the cruise.  So I usually use other than the cruise line policies.  Celebrity is arranging your flights, then those costs  will be covered.   

Go on a website like  https://www.insuremytrip.com and compare all the options then decide which policy covers you best for your personal situation.  

1 hour ago, CruiserKris34 said:

Looks like for $200 you can book the "Cruise Care" travel protection on the X site.  Normally, I do not get insurance like this, but with Covid, reconsidering.  Possibly going 2/26 or 3/5.  I know it's a personal decision, but just wondering if anyone has had to use this.  I do have good medical insurance, but the medical evacuation or expenses in a foreign country could be expensive.  Thoughts?  Thanks, Kris

There is a discussion board here on CC dedicated to this topic.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Travel insurance IMO is much more for the unexpected medical emergency that you hope will not arise than for covering a cruise in case you have to cancel. Especially during this world of COVID I wouldn't think to sail without some type of travel insurance.

Hi, thanks for your response. We have a lot of travel scheduled this year - if all goes well. Approximately 12 cruises and a land trip all outside of the USA. I’m asking if it would be better for an annual tvl insurance plan this year vs to insure each trip? If so to an annual plan- any suggestions on companies to check out? Thank you again. 

9 minutes ago, snorkelcruiser said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on yearly Tavel insurance policies? Thanks 

Annual policies offer good medical but little if any for cancellation or travel risks. Allianz does offer some coverage, but the maximum is $15,000.  Many pair an annual plan with a premium credit card for the travel insurance they provide. Just be sure you understand the pre-existing conditions provision and other limitations before you rely on it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babr said:

Annual policies offer good medical but little if any for cancellation or travel risks. Allianz does offer some coverage, but the maximum is $15,000.  Many pair an annual plan with a premium credit card for the travel insurance they provide. Just be sure you understand the pre-existing conditions provision and other limitations before you rely on it.

Thank you 

12 minutes ago, snorkelcruiser said:

Hi, thanks for your response. We have a lot of travel scheduled this year - if all goes well. Approximately 12 cruises and a land trip all outside of the USA. I’m asking if it would be better for an annual tvl insurance plan this year vs to insure each trip? If so to an annual plan- any suggestions on companies to check out? Thank you again. 

Many people use GeoBlue for annual medical policies.  Again try going to the Insurance link I posted previously.

• Like 1