Arrest warrant issued to seize cruise ship...possibly diverting to Bahamas

bajathree

6 minutes ago, jakeil7 said:

I’m confused. They’re going to arrest the ship? 

arrest

vb   tr  
1    to deprive (a person) of liberty by taking him into custody, esp. under lawful authority  
2    to seize (a ship) under lawful authority  
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I would never have imagined this scenario!

It’s too bad that the arrest warrant and seizure order weren’t secret.  Now all the cruise passengers are pawns in Crystal’s legal drama.  

I really feel bad for the passengers with flights.  I hope this freak situation is covered by trip insurance policies.  Even if Crystal pays for their Saturday night hotel stay (since their parent company owns a resort), flights out of Miami and FLL are extra full on weekends.  I imagine most flyers will also need a hotel in Miami for one or more nights.

Thank you @bajathreefor posting this!

• Like 3

Cruisemapper shows it's indeed running to Bimini to avoid seizer with passengers aboard.

Crystal Symphony current location is at North West Atlantic Ocean (coordinates 25.17526 N / -79.56090 W) cruising at speed of 11.3 kn (21 kph/ 13 mph) en route to BIMINI. The AIS position was reported 43 minutes ago.

• Like 1

I wonder if US Marshal Dam Gerard is on this case? Does the ship has a prosthetic azipod?  That’s probably better than having  Annie Porter onboard and replaying the ending of Speed 2. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, D4 said:

Wow, I would never have imagined this scenario!

It’s too bad that the arrest warrant and seizure order weren’t secret.  Now all the cruise passengers are pawns in Crystal’s legal drama.  

I really feel bad for the passengers with flights.  I hope this freak situation is covered by trip insurance policies.  Even if Crystal pays for their Saturday night hotel stay (since their parent company owns a resort), flights out of Miami and FLL are extra full on weekends.  I imagine most flyers will also need a hotel in Miami for one or more nights.

Thank you @bajathreefor posting this!

I’m on the Symphony. We may stay on the ship tonight. Tomorrow we will take the ferry to Fort Lauderdale and then busses will be provided to FLL, MIA and the port at Miami for those who drove to the port. Yesterday it took me all of 5 minutes to switch my flight from Sat. Afternoon to Sunday evening. If all goes as announced it’s not all that bad. Even my limo driver when I get to Houston said Sunday evening was ok with him. Fingers crossed that all goes as announced. 

Patty

• Like 16
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I’m on the Symphony. We may stay on the ship tonight. Tomorrow we will take the ferry to Fort Lauderdale and then busses will be provided to FLL, MIA and the port at Miami for those who drove to the port. Yesterday it took me all of 5 minutes to switch my flight from Sat. Afternoon to Sunday evening. If all goes as announced it’s not all that bad. Even my limo driver when I get to Houston said Sunday evening was ok with him. Fingers crossed that all goes as announced. 

Patty

Hope it all goes as smooth as possible.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

I’m glad you were able to easily change your flight.

My situation would be quite different.  We live near a small airport which only has small capacity planes that fly to a couple large airports where we catch connecting flights.  Those small planes to/from our local airport are usually full.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Well- as to the silver lining department- this will be one heck of a story to share once everyone is home safely. 

We were on the Symphony's South China Sea cruise-to-nowhere (well, eventually Singapore) in February 2020. That was an adventure enough. Would never have expected the saga would conclude this way in January 2022.

Rob

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ryndam said:

We were on the Symphony's South China Sea cruise-to-nowhere (well, eventually Singapore) in February 2020. That was an adventure enough. Would never have expected the saga would conclude this way in January 2022.

Rob

Can still see you and Jim sitting in those chairs in the Cove when I showed up at the ship early as I was sick of sitting around that nasty Hilton hotel at Guam. Good times!!

Patty

Edited by Texas Tillie
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, D4 said:

I’m glad you were able to easily change your flight.

My situation would be quite different.  We live near a small airport which only has small capacity planes that fly to a couple large airports where we catch connecting flights.  Those small planes to/from our local airport are usually full.

I live in a town with regional airplanes as well. And now only one airline.

When I flew home from a cruise on December 30th (when everyone called in sick) - I had 6 flights cancelled on me (some were the same flight that were cancelled, revived, cancelled and revived) and my flight had been re-routed through a different hub. I did make it home within a few hours of my original flight. It was stressful but in the end it worked out.

I hope it works out for you also!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Patty

Safe travels!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Coral said:

I live in a town with regional airplanes as well. And now only one airline.

When I flew home from a cruise on December 30th (when everyone called in sick) - I had 6 flights cancelled on me (some were the same flight that were cancelled, revived, cancelled and revived) and my flight had been re-routed through a different hub. I did make it home within a few hours of my original flight. It was stressful but in the end it worked out.

I hope it works out for you also!

Thanks.  I’m not on this cruise.  I just think about the “what ifs.”

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, D4 said:

Thanks.  I’m not on this cruise.  I just think about the “what ifs.”

Those of us with regional airports definitely have a more difficult time flying. I love how people always say "book a non-stop flight". I have 2 choices for non-stop - Denver and Chicago!

• Like 2

Just now, Coral said:

Those of us with regional airports definitely have a more difficult time flying. I love how people always say "book a non-stop flight". I have 2 choices for non-stop - Denver and Chicago!

Exactly!  And our flights cost a small fortune because there is a small supply of seats and high demand,

• Like 2

According to Marine Traffic, Celebrity Equinox is currently docked in Bimini. May explain the late afternoon arrival today for Symphony; the Celebrity ship needs to sail first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Alan Ouette said:

If Crystal Symphony passes between Viking Sun and Silver Moon will there be a Celebrity Eclipse?

Only if the Apex is in the right Constellation

• Like 3
  • Haha 4