Arrest warrant issued to seize cruise ship...possibly diverting to Bahamas

bajathree

21 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Actually, most cruise ship officers are willing to take a lower salary than their cargo ship opposites, because of the lifestyle and working conditions on cruise ships.  There is typically very little cross-over between passenger and cargo careers.

Agree.....however, I've known two Engineering officers that went with MSC years ago.   MSC Cargo, not cruise.   They were quite happy to leave Silversea.  I remember the conversations with both while standing on same South American dock two years apart. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Please we’re talking about real Captains

Next you’ll be quoting maritime law like Malia 😂

Not until Malia gets her Captain's license...  

Actually, Sandy IS a real Captain.  She just puts up with the kiddos for a few weeks to get paid a boatload of money...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Kind of a bit behind…she’s already at Bimini and debarked passengers earlier today 

Now to see where she heads next…

Has she got any fuel?

Would not like to be the captain

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thecat123 said:

Has she got any fuel?

Would not like to be the captain

I think the Captain knows what he's doing - he has responsibility for the safety of the ship and crew - no compromises on that front

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I think the Captain knows what he's doing - he has responsibility for the safety of the ship and crew - no compromises on that front

But to be put in this position through no fault on his part if "others" do not pay the bills is what I meant

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

But to be put in this position through no fault on his part if "others" do not pay the bills is what I meant

Not sure what "difficult position" the Captain is in.  He continues to follow orders from corporate unless those orders impact the safety of the ship, crew, passengers (now gone), or environment.  If they don't have much fuel, he can refuse to depart, though I'm pretty sure that the company can come up with a couple hundred thousand in cash to buy fuel to get the ship to a proper port (one with safe berthing where she can stay long term, and which does not recognize foreign liens).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 'parent' company is filing for insolvency. I suspect the company will either be sold as a whole, or the assets [including ship] be sold in parts. The company also owns some other cruise lines [Dream Cruises and Star Cruises among them]. So what we MAY be seeing is the 1st major cruise line victim of the plague. 

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure what "difficult position" the Captain is in.  He continues to follow orders from corporate unless those orders impact the safety of the ship, crew, passengers (now gone), or environment.  If they don't have much fuel, he can refuse to depart, though I'm pretty sure that the company can come up with a couple hundred thousand in cash to buy fuel to get the ship to a proper port (one with safe berthing where she can stay long term, and which does not recognize foreign liens).

chengkp75 I agree with what you say about following orders from corporate and keeping the ship safe.

What I was referring to as a "difficult position" as a Captains job on a normal sailing  would be a tough enough career  without having to go through what  decisions he now has to make

1 minute ago, Thecat123 said:

chengkp75 I agree with what you say about following orders from corporate and keeping the ship safe.

What I was referring to as a "difficult position" as a Captains job on a normal sailing  would be a tough enough career  without having to go through what  decisions he now has to make

Again, he really doesn't have any decisions to make out of the ordinary.  All the decisions are made at corporate, and he follows them.  If you are thinking that he has to decide between following orders and doing "right by the customers", believe me, the customer always comes last.  The era of true customer service, in any industry, has long gone.  His license makes him legally and fiscally responsible to the owner, period, and the senior management has a responsibility to the investors and board, period.  Nowhere is the customer in the equation.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Again, he really doesn't have any decisions to make out of the ordinary.  All the decisions are made at corporate, and he follows them.  If you are thinking that he has to decide between following orders and doing "right by the customers", believe me, the customer always comes last.  The era of true customer service, in any industry, has long gone.  His license makes him legally and fiscally responsible to the owner, period, and the senior management has a responsibility to the investors and board, period.  Nowhere is the customer in the equation.

No truer statement was ever made.

• Like 1