The Daily for Sunday 01/23/2022

richwmn

15 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Brutally Northwoods cold here, sub negative 20’s Fahrenheit. At -40/F the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales converge.  Rhubarb Pie, oh my…favorite. Adding a dash of Almond Extract to recipe is nearly mandatory. Oscar Wilde, of the aesthetic movement ie ‘Art for Art’s Sake’. Appears cruising of a similar nature, ‘Cruising for Cruising’s Sake’??

Welcome back.  I think it's almost a year since you posted here.

Roy

• Like 24

38 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Hello-

I enjoy reading the daily but have never posted.  My husband and I had a wonderful cruise on the Veendam in 2018.  We love the smaller ships.  Here are two pictures from our stop in Quebec.

B51DFD7D-E665-4D1D-AC62-9F85E6DB7782.jpeg

E7FBAE2E-33AE-49B7-8005-B16A45911B2E.jpeg

Welcome! What a lovely way to introduce yourself!

• Like 27

33 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all. I  will give away my rhubarb pie and my handwriting is terrible. I share my birthday with John Hancock and intend to celebrate by NOT cooking today. We are getting restaurant takeout(as opposed to diner takeout) for dinner and I very much look forward to it. DD is baking a cake so I will be a princess for the day.

We have been to Quebec City a few times and always enjoy it. I will look on the laptop and see if pictures will load now.

It remains chilly here and DD’s kitties have the right idea.

7738F55D-F27B-421D-A2E3-49768605BFA6.jpeg

Happy Birthday Terry!  May your new year be filled with laughter, love and great health for you and all of those close to you!

21B22A13-5FE8-44F3-BF13-11064AA91681.jpeg.3c05075c71a8bac12e39c03b849a036d.jpeg

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. It’s 14 degrees out. Handwriting is no longer taught in the schools. Most of the kids can’t write in cursive. Any kind of pie is my favorite.

The second of the new aides just came. He will be alternating with a woman who has been earlier this week. She was very nice so fingers crossed that he will work out because I am really at the end of my ability to,cope with so many different people coming and going. Our new schedule is from 8am to 8pm and it’s working out fine. I was nervous to be alone at night but Sam stays in bed once he gets there which he does before the aide leaves. I hope we’re at the end of this long nightmare. 
Stay safe everyone. I’ve been reading there’s a new variant in S. Africa that’s easier to get than Omicron and isn’t responding to the vaccine. Wonder if this is our new normal?

Carol

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

44 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Hello-

I enjoy reading the daily but have never posted.  My husband and I had a wonderful cruise on the Veendam in 2018.  We love the smaller ships.  Here are two pictures from our stop in Quebec.

B51DFD7D-E665-4D1D-AC62-9F85E6DB7782.jpeg

E7FBAE2E-33AE-49B7-8005-B16A45911B2E.jpeg

Nice photos and welcome to a lovely thread.

Graham.

• Like 21

We were in Quebec in 2018 on a b2b out of Boston.   Our ship was the former ms Rotterdam and we had an absolute blast on that cruise.  I didn't take many pictures, or if I did, I can't find them.  Oops, just found them.  

The first time we went out to Montmorency Falls and St. Anne de Baupre.  

20180831_124718748_iOS.thumb.jpg.59108ebfd84924073cc4d8d7391930d0.jpg

20180831_134744295_iOS.thumb.jpg.2d12449c53362ca7598153ffd72a21db.jpg

20180831_135117637_iOS.thumb.jpg.a05cc9228e589dfa1a3b9b0fa25b23cc.jpg

And a shot of the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac.  I will fulfill a dream of staying there next October (fingers crossed) before my cruise on the Nieuw Statendam from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale.  

20180831_162804527_iOS.thumb.jpg.a8de685c3943d5f6cc0f04b4aea636a9.jpg

The second visit was two days later on the return from Montreal to Boston.   We walked up to the old town, took the funicular, and went to a wonderful restaurant for onion soup and crepes.  

20180902_140605833_iOS.thumb.jpg.da6f0ab26bbd346259fffd83983165ba.jpg

20180902_140614770_iOS.thumb.jpg.cac2b5830a1c28d92f985bd847022670.jpg

20180902_144453905_iOS.thumb.jpg.4fba2aa428cde259bd4d09d2b01c26de.jpg

20180902_152423313_iOS.thumb.jpg.7767855f539a29ca9074a6618f63cd8f.jpg

20180902_153105732_iOS.thumb.jpg.ed82f64860ac278549ff347f01f8aed7.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 6

29 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Brutally Northwoods cold here, sub negative 20’s Fahrenheit. At -40/F the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales converge.  Rhubarb Pie, oh my…favorite. Adding a dash of Almond Extract to recipe is nearly mandatory. Oscar Wilde, of the aesthetic movement ie ‘Art for Art’s Sake’. Appears cruising of a similar nature, ‘Cruising for Cruising’s Sake’??

Welcome back to the Daily! I see that you are planning a Noordam Northbound Alaska cruise the same week I am doing a Southbound Niew Amsterdam Alaska cruise. Maybe we can wave to each other. 😎

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 29

40 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all. I  will give away my rhubarb pie and my handwriting is terrible. I share my birthday with John Hancock and intend to celebrate by NOT cooking today. We are getting restaurant takeout(as opposed to diner takeout) for dinner and I very much look forward to it. DD is baking a cake so I will be a princess for the day.

We have been to Quebec City a few times and always enjoy it. I will look on the laptop and see if pictures will load now.

It remains chilly here and DD’s kitties have the right idea.

7738F55D-F27B-421D-A2E3-49768605BFA6.jpeg

Wishing you a wonderful birthday Smitty.

Graham.

98A89CFC-4E2D-43FB-9727-12DBCD01770C.jpeg.fe4ce792e3b1f28a21a73e03e616a64e.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  I was up early to shovel since we got 5" of lake effect snow but just as I was getting ready to put my longjohns on my DF let me know he was going to blow off the deck and the path the the black oil feeder!   Hooray for that!   Birds are fed and I shook the snow that got blown into the little house I set up for my stray kitty.   It has one of the heating pads for feet in the bottom cabinet of my Rubbermaid potting bench.  I am sure she scooted when she heard the blower start up.   Plenty of kibble in there waiting for her return.    Weather permitting I will take her to a no kill shelter in the next town tomorrow but more snow in our forecast.   I hate doing that but no replies on found kitty on many sites and an offer for rehoming on Craiglist.  It will be better than her battling the elements.  We are leaving in 10 days for Fort Lauderdale.   

Last year while holed up avoiding Covid I used the time to master a good apple pie.   I rendered lard from a half hog that I buy every year and followed the America's Test Kitchen crust recipe which is 1/2 butter and 1/2 lard.   Mine always turned out much softer than the ATK recipe but was flaky and tender.  I used little sugar in the apple filling and the first couple of times I made it I used leftover Christmas cranberry sauce in the filling.   DF is on a diet so I don't make apple pies any longer but I miss making pie.   Picture below is of my sis and our instructor for the class on the Oosterdam. 

The Rigatoni recipes look tasty, I really like the one with Vodka and the cocktail looks good too.   Looking forward to photos of Quebec.   That was a cruise we were booked for and it was cancelled.  

Another day of football, making chili and working to rehome the kitty.   

Prayers for everyone on Roy's care list and for protection and health for everyone else.   🙏

America's test kitchen resized 31018.jpg

• Like 39

36 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  A double salute to pie today.  My handwriting is so bad I should have been a Doctor, and perhaps that would explain why people have trouble understanding a single word I "say" in longhand.  Been distracted this morning watching the sail-ins and the sad soap opera that looks like the end of my beloved Crystal Cruises.  The meal sounds nice.  I've been to Quebec many times but never on a BHB although I was due to board Zuiderdam there last year.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation and Jose’s fall and fracture

Marshhawk DH in family limbo
Welfare of furloughed crews
Mamaofami, Sam and the search for a new aide
Tana in hospital with poor prognosis
MissG’s dad with pneumonia
Mr. Boston awaiting biopsy results
JAM37 DGD and ger_77 DGS with covid
Cruzin Terri lump surgery 1/25 and problems from missing just one day medication
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
summer slope BCC surgery in February
rafinmd recovering from radiation side effects
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise.

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Btimmer(not sure if this is actually the first time but I think so)
Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam in Everglades
5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers        
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
Bon voyage bobpatj
summer slope , sassy~one and bobpatj , (Rotterdam to1/29) at sea
Cruising single and garlictown in Hawaii
Good riddance to one of Sam’s aides
Marley cancer free
Progress for luvteaching DH
cunnorl successful MOSE
Jose elbow not broken
Highland Cruiser with the grandkids
StLouisCruisers DSIL going to be with his sick mother in FloridaTana out of ICU
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the care lists.

CC ate the post that I just wrote so I am writing it again.

In elementary school, we had grades for "Penmanship". We did all those excercises for the "Palmer Method". My handwriting was OK but nothing great. When I went to college and had to take notes on lectures, things changed. I realized that when writing fast to keep up, I couldn't read my notes. So I changed my approach. I began to use printing rather than cursive writing and I kept with that approach my whole life. The only cursive I use is for my signature.

I love almost all pies but rhubarb is not on my list of favorites.

The pasta meal suggestion looks great but I will omit the peas. I like peas but not on a tomato-based pasta dish. I know that celebrity chef Goron Ramsey does this but I am not a fan of his either.

It was a raw 50 degrees (F) here earlier this morning with a misty rain. The snow birds will be out and about today but the locals will stay bundled up at home.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 33

14 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

The second of the new aides just came. He will be alternating with a woman who has been earlier this week. She was very nice so fingers crossed that he will work out because I am really at the end of my ability to,cope with so many different people coming and going. Our new schedule is from 8am to 8pm and it’s working out fine. I was nervous to be alone at night but Sam stays in bed once he gets there which he does before the aide leaves. I hope we’re at the end of this long nightmare. 

Carol

Praying for you.  Stay strong.  I hope the new aide works out.🙏

• Like 21

9 minutes ago, dfish said:

We were in Quebec in 2018 on a b2b out of Boston.   Our ship was the former ms Rotterdam and we had an absolute blast on that cruise.  I didn't take many pictures, or if I did, I can't find them.  Oops, just found them.  

The first time we went out to Montmorency Falls and St. Anne de Baupre.  

20180831_124718748_iOS.thumb.jpg.59108ebfd84924073cc4d8d7391930d0.jpg

20180831_134744295_iOS.thumb.jpg.2d12449c53362ca7598153ffd72a21db.jpg

20180831_135117637_iOS.thumb.jpg.a05cc9228e589dfa1a3b9b0fa25b23cc.jpg

And a shot of the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac.  I will fulfill a dream of staying there next October (fingers crossed) before my cruise on the Nieuw Statendam from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale.  

20180831_162804527_iOS.thumb.jpg.a8de685c3943d5f6cc0f04b4aea636a9.jpg

The second visit was two days later on the return from Montreal to Boston.   We walked up to the old town, took the funicular, and went to a wonderful restaurant for onion soup and crepes.  

20180902_140605833_iOS.thumb.jpg.da6f0ab26bbd346259fffd83983165ba.jpg

20180902_140614770_iOS.thumb.jpg.cac2b5830a1c28d92f985bd847022670.jpg

20180902_144453905_iOS.thumb.jpg.4fba2aa428cde259bd4d09d2b01c26de.jpg

20180902_152423313_iOS.thumb.jpg.7767855f539a29ca9074a6618f63cd8f.jpg

20180902_153105732_iOS.thumb.jpg.ed82f64860ac278549ff347f01f8aed7.jpg

Nice selection of photos.

Thank you for sharing.

Graham.

• Like 18

Good morning friends!  We awoke later than usual since we don't have our early exercise on Sundays and it was 24F outside.  Quite a cold front if @aliaschiefis 27F in NW Florida!  At least the sun is out and we expect to go up to 48F later on.  I hope some of that ice and snow starts melting up north for everyone.  Sorry to hear of your hands hurting from chipping away at that ice Debbie @dfish.  How is your driveway doing Jacqui @kazu?  Did anyone locate anymore ice melt for you?

It's a great day to celebrate pies, rhubarb and otherwise.  I could give someone my share of the rhubarb pie if they will let me have their apple/cherry/chocolate/pumpkin/pecan or just about anything else type pie.  As for handwriting, mine has suffered with age too.  I remember in elementary school the posters of all the letters of the alphabet in upper and lower case, displayed at the top of the chalk boards.  Now they don't even teach cursive writing and I wonder how everyone is signing their name to checks and important documents like driver's licenses??  What are they thinking?  

The menu suggestion today looks interesting.  When I saw it listed as rigatoni with sausage peas, I thought what are sausage peas?  😂  An amusing quote this morning.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor our Daily report.  And for Roy @rafinmdthanks for the Care and Celebration lists.  I've been checking out the Crystal situation too.  I feel badly for all involved and hope this isn't the end of them.  Prayers for all on our Care list and I hope we hear some good news for that long list of people.  Cheers for the Celebration list.  It would be great to add more good news to that list, wouldn't it?  Congrats to the DGS Tyler's team, the Cincinnati Bengals on their win last night. Terry @smitty34877happy birthday!  It's nice to feel like a princess for a change!  Welcome to the new posters @0106and @MISTER 67.  Thanks for the photos of Quebec City so far.  That was the port of the day back on Oct. 9, 2021.  I was there twice in 2018, in August on Seabourn Quest (Reykjavik to Montreal) and in October on Rotterdam for the Montreal to Tampa final NE cruise of the season.  A beautiful city and a lovely time spent each day!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

As for handwriting, mine has suffered with age too.  I remember in elementary school the posters of all the letters of the alphabet in upper and lower case, displayed at the top of the chalk boards.  Now they don't even teach cursive writing and I wonder how everyone is signing their name to checks and important documents like driver's licenses??  What are they thinking?  

They don't teach handwriting and hardly anyone uses cheques anymore (it's all e-transfers and the like)

I wonder if cursive writing will become like hieroglyphics and you need a university degree to read and write that way.

• Like 11
  • Haha 14

2 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

They don't teach handwriting and hardly anyone uses cheques anymore (it's all e-transfers and the like)

I wonder if cursive writing will become like hieroglyphics and you need a university degree to read and write that way.

Its weird. I mean crusive writing should be obligatory in schools. It hurts my eyes seeing people who cant write in crusive.. its so weird. To me, cursive writing underlines the level of your general education. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

I have reviewd scholarship applications from High School students. When they get to the end and the form askes for their signature, they end up just printing thir name.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Good morning and best wishes to all.  Prayers for our care list and all who need them.

I am staying home from church again today.  Just going to grocery store these days.  Hope God understands!  We have gotten this close to our 12 day cruise and I don’t want to mess it up by testing positive.  

Having said that — just saw a news report that omicron cases are down in 19 states.  Let’s hope that trend continues.  

I have a very happy nephew today with the last minute 49ers win last night.  🏈 Happy Sunday everyone.  Katherine 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Two mornings in a row I was allowed to sleep until 6.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good and @dfish recipes look very tempting.  Made an early run to the grocery store.  The gaps on the shelves is very noticeable.  Planning on a Target run in a bit.  I’ll take a piece of pie any day.

image.thumb.png.2eef1c120ddd61311f94ddad7c43deb0.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1