If Russia and Ukraine break out in a regional war what happens to cruises this summer in the Baltics?

terrydtx

We are booked on the Marina for a Baltic cruise in August. Our primary reason to do this cruise was the overnight stop in St Petersburg. If the US and possibly the EU put sanctions on Russia that includes no Russian travel, I assume this  port would be canceled? We have final payment due in May and it looks like we have a decision to make. Most travel insurance does not cover events caused by acts of wars. I know my question is purely speculation at this time but was asking for any educated insights.

O is allowed to change ports, which they do if there is possibility of serious risk to passengers.  You have two months to determine if the issue heats up or fizzles,  We are booked on one starting July 31 so it affects us as well.  Due to COVID this is our third attempt after the previous two were cancelled.  While Russia is a highlight, even if dropped we are going to see the other ports, and will plan for something specifically for Russia (maybe a river cruise) in the future,

• Like 2

If one is a U.S. citizen, perhaps also from many of the other NATO/western countries, if war breaks out, it is highly unlikely your government will allow you to travel anywhere in Russia for years to come. This possible “ incursion “ will be treated far differently that the Crimea affair. Just imo.

• Like 6

I'm in the same boat but with NCL. My twice postponed Baltic cruise is Aug. 14. First was supposed to be June 2020 with O, then August 2021 with O. If St. Petersburg is off the itinerary and maybe other Baltic ports on the east end of the Baltic I will definitely cancel before final payment. 

Who knows....we are on the Sirena Baltic/Artic Circle cruise in Sept 2022, also a rebook from same canceled cruise 2021.  So many things can happen between now and the time of final payment that trying to second guess is impossible.  When our final payment is a week away, we will see what we/O knows and make a decision then on what is important to us on the cruise.  Artic Circle was the real draw for us....

• Like 1

If I had any skill at this sort of speculation, I would probably be a retired senior diplomat, instead of a retired local council clerk. But,  to offer an answer for Terry, I think it becomes very tricky.

Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania could all find themselves facing the same expanionist threat from Russia. If not in the immediate future, but if they invade Ukraine, replacing its goverment with a puppet,as is being speculated here in Europe. All three countries are members of the EU and, I think, also of NATO so  further international treaty obligations would come into play.

It all gets a bit close to the action.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harters said:

If I had any skill at this sort of speculation, I would probably be a retired senior diplomat, instead of a retired local council clerk. But,  to offer an answer for Terry, I think it becomes very tricky.

Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania could all find themselves facing the same expanionist threat from Russia. If not in the immediate future, but if they invade Ukraine, replacing its goverment with a puppet,as is being speculated here in Europe. All three countries are members of the EU and, I think, also of NATO so  further international treaty obligations would come into play.

It all gets a bit close to the action.

Meanwhile...back to the west is Taiwan  and China  festering... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My gig is personal finance, and one of my best friends and clients remarked to me how frequently I use the phrase "rounding error". As in, "I realize you lost $3,000 but that isn't even a rounding error in your net worth. You'll make that up in dividends alone next month."

Not sure what the penalty is for cancelling a trip like that, and to me? Doesn't matter. I'd drop that trip like a hot potato and not think again about it. 

• Like 4

Well, I'm from a low density MOS that has a a decent likelihood of forced recall if this stumbles on, even though Im 54.  This time I won't be handing out teddy bears. Pretty sure it would be the worst shore excursion EVER.  Flights would be paid though, "meals" provided. 

4 hours ago, CptBoatface said:

Well, I'm from a low density MOS that has a a decent likelihood of forced recall if this stumbles on, even though Im 54.  This time I won't be handing out teddy bears. Pretty sure it would be the worst shore excursion EVER.  Flights would be paid though, "meals" provided. 

<shudder>

• Like 1

We are Mike and Dianne Ray from Cashiers, NC and Atlanta, GA. an the August 30 sailing of Sirena (Oslo to London)which goes to Archangel and Murmansk, Russia.   We have been on quite a few Oceania cruise (mid 20s) and booked this cruise quite awhile ago.  Between covid and the possibility of Russian ports being closed to Americans if there is an invasion of Ukraine, we are getting pretty nervous about making final payment (due early March).  Recently, we were on a cruise and spent 8 or 9 days in a row at sea due to closed ports (and a volcano).  This is a fairly expensive cruise and I would hate to make the big payment and end up just cruising the North Atlantic. If I wanted to remain on ship, at least I would pick the Caribbean where on deck would be pleasant. 

I note that a few days ago the State Department issued a "do not travel to Russia" advisory.

What are others doing on Russia cruises

mike

2 hours ago, lawdevil said:

We are Mike and Dianne Ray from Cashiers, NC and Atlanta, GA. an the August 30 sailing of Sirena (Oslo to London)which goes to Archangel and Murmansk, Russia.   We have been on quite a few Oceania cruise (mid 20s) and booked this cruise quite awhile ago.  Between covid and the possibility of Russian ports being closed to Americans if there is an invasion of Ukraine, we are getting pretty nervous about making final payment (due early March).  Recently, we were on a cruise and spent 8 or 9 days in a row at sea due to closed ports (and a volcano).  This is a fairly expensive cruise and I would hate to make the big payment and end up just cruising the North Atlantic. If I wanted to remain on ship, at least I would pick the Caribbean where on deck would be pleasant. 

I note that a few days ago the State Department issued a "do not travel to Russia" advisory.

What are others doing on Russia cruises

mike

We are booked on the same cruise (a rebook from this cruise canceled in 2021).......I just checked our invoice, and it shows final payment 01APR22.   We will reassess the situation the end of March and decide whether to cancel and rebook or hang in there.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GICNJC said:

odd about final payment.  Our cruise starts July 21 and deposit is due April 22.

Also depends on the length of the cruise  & also the itinerary 

Some were moved to later final payment date because the cruise  might be iffy

3 minutes ago, brittany12 said:

IMHO, a cruise to ports in an autocratic country not sharing our democratic values and threatening to start a major war in Europe at any time is not a good idea. Travel banned by State Department  or not.

I agree with your assessment, and we are leaning more each day to canceling.

• Like 1

With this discussion of a potential crisis in the Ukraine and folks considering cancelling prior to their FP date, has anyone had the Administrative Fee charged in the past? We've always cancelled far in advance of Days stated and the FP.  See extract from O site:

Cruises 14 days or Less:

DAYS PRIOR TO CRUISE SAIL DATE - CANCELLATION AMOUNT 
91-120 Days Prior - $250 per guest administrative fee+

Cruises 15 days or more except 180-Day Voyages: 

DAYS PRIOR TO CRUISE SAIL DATE - CANCELLATION AMOUNT 
151-180 Days Prior - $250 per guest administrative fee+

+The Administrative Fee may be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation date and for travel within two years of issue.