Drink Package Cost

1 hour ago, Hutcha said:

Not questioning the question or debate. What I don't get is picking someone apart for their reason for getting it or not getting it. It's their reason, a personal decision, they provided their input. Why do YOU have to go back and pick apart their reasoning?

I’m not picking apart anyone’s reason.  Many don’t realize you can return a drink and get a different one if you don’t like the drink your ordered.  You don’t need to have a beverage package for that and thus the argument of that being a benefit should be viewed in that light.  If someone is really debating it to the point where that would matter, don’t you think that is an important aspect?   Pointing out alternatives to another’s way or view is not picking something apart.  

People obviously come on here for opinions.  If someone posts something that is wrong or incomplete in explanation, seems like others are doing the conversation a service by providing more detail/context. I don’t understand why folks are so sensitive nowadays to view that as picking someone apart.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, topnole said:

I’m not picking apart anyone’s reason.  Many don’t realize you can return a drink and get a different one if you don’t like the drink your ordered.  You don’t need to have a beverage package for that and thus the argument of that being a benefit should be viewed in that light.  If someone is really debating it to the point where that would matter, don’t you think that is an important aspect?   Pointing out alternatives to another’s way or view is not picking something apart.  

People obviously come on here for opinions.  If someone posts something that is wrong or incomplete in explanation, seems like others are doing the conversation a service by providing more detail/context. I don’t understand why folks are so sensitive nowadays to view that as picking someone apart.   I always do my homework and punched the numbers.  We are making the best decision based on our individual preferences.  

50 minutes ago, topnole said:

People obviously come on here for opinions.  If someone posts something that is wrong or incomplete in explanation, seems like others are doing the conversation a service by providing more detail/context. I don’t understand why folks are so sensitive nowadays to view that as picking someone apart.  

I often think that can vary though depending on bartender, etc.  We have had a few cruises that I didn't care for a new drink that I tried and in telling the server/bartender such, while they have offered to sell me another drink, many did not opt to take it back and replace it at no cost.  I have even had the drink package and a server argue with me that I got what I ordered and it wasn't their fault I didn't like it.  Come to find out they didn't make the drink I asked for, but I kept trying to drink it to see if I would like it.  They finally told me they did realize they gave me someone else's drinks but it was really kind of sad that I had a drink package and still had trouble getting my drink replaced.  Sometimes staff can be crazy.  

1 hour ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

I often think that can vary though depending on bartender, etc.  We have had a few cruises that I didn't care for a new drink that I tried and in telling the server/bartender such, while they have offered to sell me another drink, many did not opt to take it back and replace it at no cost.  I have even had the drink package and a server argue with me that I got what I ordered and it wasn't their fault I didn't like it.  Come to find out they didn't make the drink I asked for, but I kept trying to drink it to see if I would like it.  They finally told me they did realize they gave me someone else's drinks but it was really kind of sad that I had a drink package and still had trouble getting my drink replaced.  Sometimes staff can be crazy.  

Yes.  It certainly isn’t automatic.  But of course you can always ask beforehand and then you will know.  Most servers will probably tell you they’ll make you something else if you don’t like it.  

For most of the workers (not all obviously), a tip here and there and they will go above and beyond. I’ve had waiters see me in the day and tell me they found a beer they know I will like (in a different bar) and they are holding it for me later that night.  Sure enough, later I show up and they are excited to bring it to me with no charge.  I always tip my servers a little extra (nothing crazy) and they almost always do the nicest things like that.  We have never been charged for a drink my wife didn’t like and it has certainly happened several times with all different servers.  Never an issue.  I’m thinking you had someone having a very bad day.  

Point is, I wouldn’t buy a beverage package because your worried you might not like a $13 drink and feel frustrated you wasted money.  If you drink enough, you know you need the package. If you don’t, and buy it for reasons like the above, you may waste far more than $13.   

Not sure if this was mentioned previously in the thread, but there is also the incentive with the package to drink to break even or drink to get your full money's worth and then some.  This leads to overconsumption, IMHO. I think with the C&A voucher drinks, I will not be purchasing the DBP in the future unless it drops to the once in a lifetime, never seen again $18 per day IT glitch of the past...rumor has it that the responsible IT person is no longer with RCI, so that won't be happening.  

On 1/31/2022 at 1:50 PM, mr. godfredo said:

It's been a long time since we have sailed RCCL, can anyone tell me what the going rate is these days for the drink package? Our cruise is over a year out, so no prices are listed. Just looking at ballpark prices. 

Just booked a short sailing on Independence in April. Current price online is 20% off at $73 per day, which seems high compared to other posts. Assuming this is due to it being a 3 night rather than 7+.

What are the odds of a better price between now and April?

10 minutes ago, aswmammoth said:

Just booked a short sailing on Independence in April. Current price online is 20% off at $73 per day, which seems high compared to other posts. Assuming this is due to it being a 3 night rather than 7+.

Fingers crossed for some sort of President's Day sale. :classic_smile:

11 hours ago, aswmammoth said:

Wow! $73 per day is pretty steep! I have sailed on 3 day cruises where that is the cost per night for the actual cruise! 😁

On 1/31/2022 at 9:16 PM, dad son team said:

Pre-covid I was able to get it for just me.  I had to call and advise them that my roommate didn't drink.  I also traveled in Nov. 2021 and met a couple who only bought one package using the same reasoning.  So calling may allow only 1 person to buy it.

Depended on the agent you get.  Once had to call twice.

12 hours ago, aswmammoth said:

50-50.  You'll either get a better price or you won't.

• 4 months later...
On 2/8/2022 at 9:30 AM, mr. godfredo said:

Wow! $73 per day is pretty steep! I have sailed on 3 day cruises where that is the cost per night for the actual cruise! 😁

Our Independence sailing is up to $82. A day. Probably because there is not much else to do at Nassau and Coco Cay. That’s too much especially when my cabin-mate hardly drinks.  I’m hoping they lower it.

I just checked this morning and WOW, really!

It was £60.75 yesterday which we thought was excessive so its now approx. $95 a day as a special offer.

From

£72.85 GBP / per guest per day
£91.06 GBP onboard
(20% OFF)PRE-CRUISE SAVINGS
Reserve

Is there a gratuity added for UK purchases?  If not, then a total price of US$95 would be equivalent to us seeing a listed Cruise Planner price of US$80 and then the 18% would get added in the checkout.

Firstly,  I believe the price paid for UK purchases includes the 18% gratuity,  so no extra needed.

Secondly  when we booked our upcoming cruise (anthem) back in February  the offer (via our TA) included the drinks package at £40pppd ( about US$50), which seemed a good deal.

However, on actually booking the cruise, we were told it couldn't be prepaid, but would be added to our onboard account.

Since then, I've been rather sceptical,  and twitchy that when we get on board, we get charged  that days going rate - $65, or $73, or whatever.

Just as I decided to fire off an email  to the TA when l get in from work later today, the TA rings me. RCL have just invoiced them for the drinks package  cost - £472pp for the 12 days of the cruise, so fractionally  below  the £40 mark.

Happy with that- once you include  soft drinks  decent  coffees and so forth it's a good deal for us.

• Like 3

On 2/1/2022 at 10:32 AM, Joebucks said:

I'm not sure what kind of value you put on these things. Especially when you can carry on soda and water is everywhere for free. 

I'm with you on this -- I personally will bring my own sodas, and I prefer drinking my water from a glass with ice.  I don't drink juice or mocktails -- at my small size and being pre-diabetic, I can't afford the carbs. 

Since other people's mileage may vary, they need to do their own math.  Just make sure it's honest math based upon your own real habits.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

On 2/2/2022 at 6:33 AM, BekkaW said:

Royal Caribbean does not have different levels of alcohol drink packages. There is only Deluxe 

Yeah, they used to have a "beer package" and a "cocktails package".  My husband would definitely make good use of a beer package, and it makes sense financially:  beer doesn't require the mixing that a cocktail does.  It's less labor.  

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yeah, they used to have a "beer package" and a "cocktails package".  My husband would definitely make good use of a beer package, and it makes sense financially:  beer doesn't require the mixing that a cocktail does.  It's less labor.  

I remember the beer package (wasn't it beer and wine?). However, what I do like about the deluxe package is the addition of fresh OJ (breakfast), specialty coffee and bottled water.

Before the drink packages they had buckets of Corona/Heineken for a discounted price. Those were the days.

45 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

To answer the OP's actual question, the package for our upcoming cruise is bouncing around $75-78, which is crazy-high, in my opinion.  Remember it'll be even higher than that when they add in gratuity.  

And another answer...our October Voyager CAN/NE cruise has bounced from $65 - $80.  I think I might have seen it at $59 right after we booked the cruise, but I can't swear to that.  It was $65 during the Memorial Day sale, and a week later, it went to $70 and has stayed there since.  I bought it at $65, but check each and every day to catch any unexpected sales.