Jump to content
,

Discriminatory Pricing


STEVE-O
 Share

Recommended Posts

I haven’t had the experience of direct discrimination, but as I need an accessible cabin, and there aren’t very many, and I have to book so far ahead,  I generally can’t take advantage of reductions (I’ve tried) because “there aren’t any other cabins we can reprice on “ to quote Princess. I think I might have done better with a TA, but I don’t know. I can’t say I’ve had the feeling that Princess were keen to welcome us onboard, perhaps they now prefer young people? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ozscotart said:

I haven’t had the experience of direct discrimination, but as I need an accessible cabin, and there aren’t very many, and I have to book so far ahead,  I generally can’t take advantage of reductions (I’ve tried) because “there aren’t any other cabins we can reprice on “ to quote Princess. I think I might have done better with a TA, but I don’t know. I can’t say I’ve had the feeling that Princess were keen to welcome us onboard, perhaps they now prefer young people? 

We book VERY early  for the same reason.....but not for the lower rate able-bodied guests pay.

Then......we have to pay change fees if our plans change. Waiting to book isn't usually an option. You know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

On our cruise line of choice, able-bodied guests pay less than guests needing an accessible cabin.

 

What is your pricing experience and on which cruise line?

We have been booking accessible staterooms for years on several different cruise lines.   We have never had to pay more when booking an accessible stateroom compared to the exact same category for a non-accessible stateroom.   Make sure you are comparing the exact same room category.  

 

What cruise line / ship are you seeing this pricing difference on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

On our cruise line of choice, able-bodied guests pay less than guests needing an accessible cabin.

 

What is your pricing experience and on which cruise line?

We have been booking accessible staterooms for years on several different cruise lines.   We have never had to pay more when booking an accessible stateroom compared to the exact same category for a non-accessible stateroom.   Make sure you are comparing the exact same room category.  

 

What cruise line / ship are you seeing this pricing difference on?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that I have not faced a price difference for the same category of cabin. I have selected cabins that were inside, ocean view, and balcony. If I selected a BB (Princess) accessible balcony, it was the same price as a non-accessible BB cabin. It is true that accessible cabins are limited, and not available in every permutation of cabin. I have not found an accessible balcony in BA, BB, BC, BD, and BE categories on each ship. I also am not able to select a guarantee reservation as I MUST have the accessible features. I have been able to refare to a lower cost several times.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sail on Celebrity.  I've been in Veranda, Concierge Class and Suites  that are accesible.  The Sky Suites on Celebrity have been the same price for accessible ones as for non-accessible ones. Similarly, C2 are the same price whether accessible or not.  

I can't book a guarantee cabin, because a guarantee means the company selects the room, and I want/need a specific room.  Just how it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

We have been booking accessible staterooms for years on several different cruise lines.   We have never had to pay more when booking an accessible stateroom compared to the exact same category for a non-accessible stateroom.   Make sure you are comparing the exact same room category.  

 

What cruise line / ship are you seeing this pricing difference on?

For example....one cruise we were looking at was $1490 for a balcony. Maybe not the -best- balcony, but a balcony.

 

The best price for an accessible balcony was $1638 because the accessible balconies are ONLY located in the best locations. There are no lesser category accessible balconies on the ship. Ever. Anywhere.  So, if you want and need an accessible balcony, you have to pay more than able-bodied guests would have to pay for a balcony.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Algebralovr said:

I sail on Celebrity.  I've been in Veranda, Concierge Class and Suites  that are accesible.  The Sky Suites on Celebrity have been the same price for accessible ones as for non-accessible ones. Similarly, C2 are the same price whether accessible or not.  

I can't book a guarantee cabin, because a guarantee means the company selects the room, and I want/need a specific room.  Just how it is.

Correct. But if you are able-bodied, there are cheaper rooms in those types of cabins.  You could choose one and save money.

 

Not so when choosing an accessible. You pay the higher rate even though there are no cheaper   accessible options in lesser categories....ever. They don't exist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plus no hope for an upgrade free or bid (on those lines that offer bidding) Princess did have three ships with no balcony accessible cabins so would offer a mini suite at balcony price.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Plus no hope for an upgrade free or bid (on those lines that offer bidding) Princess did have three ships with no balcony accessible cabins so would offer a mini suite at balcony price.

Good job, Princess!

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity do that (usually...), too. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

Correct. But if you are able-bodied, there are cheaper rooms in those types of cabins.  You could choose one and save money.

 

Not so when choosing an accessible. You pay the higher rate even though there are no cheaper   accessible options in lesser categories....ever. They don't exist.

Since Celebrity offers C2 at the C3 price to anyone who has sailed in the past and registered for their loyalty program, if one elects for an accessible Concierge Class room, the price is going to be the lower price for the accessible room.

 

They have Veranda rooms in a couple of different class of room, not just 1A, and they are sliming down the types of rooms going forward.

 

For Sky Suites, on the S-Class ships, all the accessible Sky Suites are S2, and they onlyhave S2 and S1.

 

You are making a big deal about nothing.  Being disabled is expensive.  It is what it is.  

It is not discrimination.  If they didn't have any fully accessible cabins except Oceanview or except Sky Suites, then I would argue there are issues, but they have interior, oceanview, veranda, etc.  So what if you can't get THE cheapest room in a sub-catagory.  It is what it is.  The difference is usually fairly small.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Since Celebrity offers C2 at the C3 price to anyone who has sailed in the past and registered for their loyalty program, if one elects for an accessible Concierge Class room, the price is going to be the lower price for the accessible room.

 

They have Veranda rooms in a couple of different class of room, not just 1A, and they are sliming down the types of rooms going forward.

 

For Sky Suites, on the S-Class ships, all the accessible Sky Suites are S2, and they onlyhave S2 and S1.

 

You are making a big deal about nothing.  Being disabled is expensive.  It is what it is.  

It is not discrimination.  If they didn't have any fully accessible cabins except Oceanview or except Sky Suites, then I would argue there are issues, but they have interior, oceanview, veranda, etc.  So what if you can't get THE cheapest room in a sub-catagory.  It is what it is.  The difference is usually fairly small.

Enjoy paying more than your able-bodied neighbor. You know how much your money is worth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Since Celebrity offers C2 at the C3 price to anyone who has sailed in the past and registered for their loyalty program, if one elects for an accessible Concierge Class room, the price is going to be the lower price for the accessible room.

 

They have Veranda rooms in a couple of different class of room, not just 1A, and they are sliming down the types of rooms going forward.

 

For Sky Suites, on the S-Class ships, all the accessible Sky Suites are S2, and they onlyhave S2 and S1.

 

You are making a big deal about nothing.  Being disabled is expensive.  It is what it is.  

It is not discrimination.  If they didn't have any fully accessible cabins except Oceanview or except Sky Suites, then I would argue there are issues, but they have interior, oceanview, veranda, etc.  So what if you can't get THE cheapest room in a sub-catagory.  It is what it is.  The difference is usually fairly small.

So.....The hotel clerk tells you rooms are $100 a night. When you tell them you need a room with a roll-in shower, the clerk says..."Oh, those are $300 a night".

You just shrug and pay the $300??

 

(FWIW.....this scenario is a violation of U. S. ADA law....)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, STEVE-O said:

So.....The hotel clerk tells you rooms are $100 a night. When you tell them you need a room with a roll-in shower, the clerk says..."Oh, those are $300 a night".

You just shrug and pay the $300??

 

(FWIW.....this scenario is a violation of U. S. ADA law....)

I've never had that happen.  Yes, that would be in violation of the ADA.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

So.....The hotel clerk tells you rooms are $100 a night. When you tell them you need a room with a roll-in shower, the clerk says..."Oh, those are $300 a night".

You just shrug and pay the $300??

If the accessible features were the only difference in the two rooms, then, yes, it would be a violation of ADA.  If the $300 room was bigger than the $100 room, then no it would not be.  What you are asking for on the ship is to get a bigger/better room ("accessible balconies are ONLY located in the best locations") for the price of a lower category balcony room.

 

And, SCOTUS has found that the foreign flag cruise lines' "internal policies and procedures", like what categories they make accessible cabins in, and how they offer reduced pricing (and, if the accessible cabin was still available at the time that a non-accessible, same category, cabin was repriced, the accessible cabin would be repriced as well), are not subject to the ADA.  In the 16 years since Spector v NCL, where SCOTUS ruled that barring specific mention of foreign flag cruise ships, then Congress did not intend to include these ships' policies in the Act, and yet Congress has taken no action to remedy this.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No different than airlines.   If you need a larger seat or more leg room you will pay more $.   My husband and most n his family are very tall and cannot fit in normal airline rows.   Fortunately, he is healthy enough to sit in an exit row but that also frequently requires extra money.    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2022 at 9:23 AM, Covepointcruiser said:

No different than airlines.   If you need a larger seat or more leg room you will pay more $.   My husband and most n his family are very tall and cannot fit in normal airline rows.   Fortunately, he is healthy enough to sit in an exit row but that also frequently requires extra money.    

Agreed. My son is 6’5” and travels with a 45 lb service dog. We have him fly Southwest almost exclusively because they board service dogs and their handlers first. Otherwise we would have to put him in a more expensive category or buy an extra seat. And since sitting alone isn’t really an option, that is 2 more expensive seats. We have done both but in order to not spend a lot more money, we tend to stick with Southwest. No SDs in exit rows either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/1/2022 at 8:06 AM, STEVE-O said:

On our cruise line of choice, able-bodied guests pay less than guests needing an accessible cabin.

 

What is your pricing experience and on which cruise line?

Descriminatory pricing is a very bad choice of words.  If you compare two apples than yes.  But on the other hand, ships have a limited amount of cabins, and those are not all categories.  Plus, as an example, I can get a HC cabin the size of a JS, but pay the price as a balcony.  That does not seem fair either?  Vacations are that you pay for what you need, better hotel, bigger room, hotel with an elevator.....and I can keep going.  Sometimes those choices might cost more, for your enjoyment, and that is just a fact of life.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Experience more Co-op Holidays
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...