Cruise Critic heading out on Seashore on 2/19! What do you want to know?

Cruise Critic Chris

• Members
On 2/18/2022 at 1:51 PM, Svealise said:

Is all the ports free to visit on your own if your vaccinated? 

Which excursions do you recommend and what’s the onboard prices? 

Before the pandemic I could see a choice of private excursions if your in the YC, but there’s only a few excursions to book now 🤔 At least on the Swedish website. 

Information, if you can find any, on when and if testing before boarding and face masks won’t be mandatory any more (at least for vacc).

We board in 4 weeks for our first cruise 🤩 

I checked and yes, you can go ashore on your own if you are vaccinated. I'll be trying that in Nassau. 

We are doing an excursion in Puerto Plata where we visit a chocolate factory; a cigar shop and. a rum distillery. I've been to Amber Cove but not Puerto Plata so this is a new port for me. 

Nassau seems to have the usual array of excursions, although perhaps not as many as before the pandemic. 

Ocean Cay has a variety of things to do -- kayaking, wave runners, paddle boarding. snorkeling. You can climb the lighthouse. There are also spa services. We are in a cabana at the Yacht Club today and will be kayaking on Friday. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Dailies for today. First Sea Day. My only real agenda is to go to a Yacht Club cocktail party and then scope out the pool areas and buffet for crowds. Dinner tonight is in the MDR. It's Elegant Night.

Very nice to see that Captain Di Palma is the master.  Sailed with him on Seaside in 2019.  Curious about the YC cocktail party.  Didn't see that in the planner.  There used to be one in the early afternoon to meet the officers.

• Members

They said that this was the first Yacht Club party in a while. Nicely attended. 

I have the official numbers onboard from Yannis, the hotel manager. There are 1,070 across the ship. Of that, 159 are in the Yacht Club. So that space is at a higher relative capacity than the rest of the ship. 

The issue right now is that there aren't as many international travelers from Europe coming over. Normally the split is 50/50 US and international. That is lower right now. 

In the third week of March, numbers go up to 3,300. 

23 minutes ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Pool Deck drink menus. You can see where they list which ones are included. 

F142D439-1E77-4BBA-A54A-50D91E4489B5.jpeg

ECEEFAD8-35A0-47FF-931A-D2359C65399F.jpeg

2D92D6A1-C8E7-46C6-B2EF-BF69D07E22D2.jpeg

Thank you! Very helpful! Let me know if you see a Mai Tai for $9 or less at any bar! My wife drinks Mai Tai’s and Chardonnay both of which seem very limited with the easy plus package. 
i’d appreciate seeing the drink menus from the other venues as well!! Again, thank you!

Edited by wmarsh9280

• Members
5 hours ago, Svealise said:

So you eat at MDR even if your inYC? How is the food in comparison? Read reviews before that states that food in YC is so much better. But the food on the pictures looks yummy 😋 

Do you have to book a table in advance? 

I'm reviewing the ship so I am eating everywhere 😊 But no, if you are in the Yacht Club, you do not have to. I have not eaten at the YC yet so no comparison yet. I have enjoyed the specialty restaurants. Tonight is Butcher's Cut. 

And if you want to go to the MDR; your butler or the YC concierge will make a reservation. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

Dinner menu for Elegant Night in the MDR. Two dining rooms are open. We were in Tribeca. 

I had shrimp cocktail, lobster ravioli and the royal cake. Service was fast and prompt - we were out in an hour. 

664F6718-C398-4509-AD23-44D9C24D724A.jpeg

17ABC9B2-3107-4843-BE54-DD2D65F89940.jpeg

91A5730F-F725-4C15-AD65-737159975B9D.jpeg

1D846096-1045-4BF0-AE4C-94DD3D5331AA.jpeg

E3672FA7-BE7B-42AD-83A2-A839E19B2B5A.jpeg

I must say that after 50 + cruises on different cruise lines over the last 15 yrs  that is absolutely the worst Elegant Night MDR menu I have ever seen!!!

We left Carnival due to the "Comfort" menu they came out with years ago.  I just looked at Carnival's menus and they now look better than MSC's.  

Between this menu, the masks, the same itineraries over and over and the increase in Spa prices not happy.  We are sailing on the Seashore this coming week for 2 weeks and then Princess is our next booked cruise.  Looks like we will be looking at other cruise lines now instead of MSC.  

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 1

Thank you for the lovely review. 

The Seashore in April will be our first cruise in over 2 years and our first with MSC. Looking forward to the YC after years of being spoiled in NCL's Haven. Although I know cruise companies are eagerly awaiting greater number of passengers, selfishly I was hoping for a "low capacity" cruise as I fear that crew staffing will not be adequate for increasing number of passengers. 

I am curious as to your thoughts on how well prepared MSC will be for the spring "onslaught"? Reviews online cite major embarkation and service issues related to overwhelmed (but very lovely) staff. Even 50% capacity may be too much if the crew aren't adequately supported with additional members. 

Living vicariously through you ... have a wonderful time on the rest of the cruise!

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

Hi @Cruise Critic Chris!  I hope you're having a great time!  If you could go talk to the photo people and get the story about how the All-Inclusive Digital Photo Package works when your traveling party is split between 2 cabins, that would be amazing.  Basically, do I need to buy the package for each cabin to ensure we get all of our photos, or will it work with just one package?

I sure appreciate any help you can give!  More details/background located here:  

Thanks!!!