Med Cruise May with 2 and 4 year old

Alilulu

I have booked a cruise for the end of May in the med. I stupidly did not realise that over 2’s had to wear masks, I thought it was just adults.

I am now panicking because my kids age 2 and 4 won’t wear masks and to be honest I don’t really feel comfortable with making the younger one wear one as she panics when it’s on. Has other cruise companies changed their mark policy or is it just highly unlikely Disney will change?

Secondly I cannot understand the rules on vaccination for getting off at ports, the adults are fully vaccinated but obviously the children aren’t eligible will they be allowed off the ship? 

6 hours ago, Alilulu said:

I have booked a cruise for the end of May in the med. I stupidly did not realise that over 2’s had to wear masks, I thought it was just adults.

I am now panicking because my kids age 2 and 4 won’t wear masks and to be honest I don’t really feel comfortable with making the younger one wear one as she panics when it’s on. Has other cruise companies changed their mark policy or is it just highly unlikely Disney will change?

Secondly I cannot understand the rules on vaccination for getting off at ports, the adults are fully vaccinated but obviously the children aren’t eligible will they be allowed off the ship? 

If you want to go on that cruise, you better start getting them used to wearing those masks. DCL is very strict about mask rules.

10 hours ago, Alilulu said:

The current DCL policy is that non-vaccinated children may disembark in ports (other than Castaway Cay) only if they are on Disney-booked excursions. 

Not sure if I can think of many shore excursions in the Med that would interest a 2 or 4 year old.  Mostly going to be historical sites.  Unless your kids are a lot different than mine were they will not enjoy getting on and off buses to visit museums.  The only shopping you can do on the "bubble" excursions would be a specific shop listed in the tour.  This month we had to go all the way back onto the ship before vaccinated guests could go out and shop.

Other cruise lines are starting to change mask policy but Disney parks and cruise line will likely be last.  No idea what ports in Europe will require in May, but any bubble tour will likely follow ship rules even if the port doesn't require masks.

Assume you can't cancel but I know you can push the date back as far as September and hope the rules change.  You probably have to pay difference if fare goes up.

Sorry for being so negative.  We enjoyed our cruises on Magic this month but with the current covid rules and lack of the character interactions you have paid for they really were not a good value for the money.  And the follow-the-leader tours were a bit annoying.  Could have gone on four Royal cruises for the price we paid for a 4 and 5 day Magic cruise.  Certainly we wouldn't have done the Med on Disney - you spend very little time on the ship on those itineraries.

On 2/24/2022 at 5:21 AM, Alilulu said:

. Has other cruise companies changed their mark policy or is it just highly unlikely Disney will change?

Royal Caribbean and Norwegian changed their policies and no longer require masks on most cruises. Norwegian only allows vaccinated people with no exception for ages so no one under 5 at all right now, but if masks are a deal breaker for you, you may want to look into Royal. If you’re flying from the US though they will need masks for the plane so you may want to start practicing mask use or move your cruise farther out.

The way I got my kids to start wearing them at first was to only let them have TV while wearing masks. A few days of that and they were fine. They’re required in preschools here so my kids really don’t even notice they’re wearing them at this point.

On 2/25/2022 at 4:25 AM, LeeW said:

Not sure if I can think of many shore excursions in the Med that would interest a 2 or 4 year old.  Mostly going to be historical sites.  Unless your kids are a lot different than mine were they will not enjoy getting on and off buses to visit museums.  The only shopping you can do on the "bubble" excursions would be a specific shop listed in the tour.  This month we had to go all the way back onto the ship before vaccinated guests could go out and shop.

Other cruise lines are starting to change mask policy but Disney parks and cruise line will likely be last.  No idea what ports in Europe will require in May, but any bubble tour will likely follow ship rules even if the port doesn't require masks.

Assume you can't cancel but I know you can push the date back as far as September and hope the rules change.  You probably have to pay difference if fare goes up.

Sorry for being so negative.  We enjoyed our cruises on Magic this month but with the current covid rules and lack of the character interactions you have paid for they really were not a good value for the money.  And the follow-the-leader tours were a bit annoying.  Could have gone on four Royal cruises for the price we paid for a 4 and 5 day Magic cruise.  Certainly we wouldn't have done the Med on Disney - you spend very little time on the ship on those itineraries.

Thank you for your help