L'Anse Aux Meadows, Newfoundland, shore excursion

We will be on the Holland America Nieuw Statendam September 2022 Quebec to Boston 10 day cruise. We are waitlisted for the shore excursion to L'Anse Aux Meadows. Our purpose in taking this cruise was to visit L'Anse Au Meadows. Does anyone know of a source for a shore excursion to L'Anse Aux Meadows other than through Holland America? We would do bus tour, rental car or private tour with driver. Please let me know if you know of any of these options. Thx

St. Anthony is a small community, and not well-equipped to handle crowds of people as when a cruise vessel discharges its passengers there. It was several years ago when I was in the area, the vessel I was traveling on docking in St. Barbe, a short distance down the road. One of the other passengers had arranged for an individual tour from St. Barbe to L'Anse aux Meadows, having hired a guide from St. Anthony, so it is possible, at least in theory (this vessel, the MV Apollo operated by Labrador Marine, part of the Woodward Group, was much smaller than the MV Nieuw Statendam, and the few tourists on board the vessel did not strain the regional infrastructure). Alas, I did not secure the details from her. My suggestion is to contact the relatively large and long-time tour operator in St. Anthony, Northland Discovery Tours. While they are focused on tours by sea, they do mention L’Anse aux Meadows on their website and in their brochure. Thus, the company company might be able to arrange such an overland tour, or more likely, be able to refer you to a local person whom you might engage. Rental vehicles are difficult to come by, but you might make inquiry of Woodward Motors (also part of the Woodward Group). As to hiring a car and driver, you could try Town Taxi, operated by Guy Strangemore, (709) 454-3500. But given all the passengers who will be alighting from the MV Nieuw Statendam at the same time, it seems unlikely that the company will wait for you, particularly, rather than just taking the first fare that comes along (at least absent a lucrative arrangement). A final possibility, and this is a long-shot, is that you could contact the local bus company, which might either have an interest in operating a tour itself, or possibly put you in contact with someone who would do so (perhaps even one of their drivers on their off-day). The bus company, Norpen Busing, operates regular route service on Tuesdays and Fridays, between Englee and Corner Brook (it does not go to St. Anthony proper, but does stop at the airport, 35 miles outside St. Anthony), and the company is based in Englee (90 miles from St. Anthony). The bus company advertises charters and tours. Since the MV Nieuw Statendam will be in St. Anthony on a Monday, it fits in with the bus company's twice-weekly schedule. I realize that I have not given you anything definitive here, but rather only a few suggestions on how you might proceed. It is challenging given the remoteness and small size of the place being visited, making it ever so frustrating that Holland America Line would not have space available--or make more space available by chartering additional buses--even six months in advance.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, happywhencruising said:

Sadly, if we can't arrange a way tlo get to L'Anse Aux Meadows, we will cancel the cruise and lose a few hundred dollars

Hopefully you can make an excursion to l'Anse aux Meadows happen, using these or other leads, for that site is really the primary (if not exclusive) reason for the vessel to visit St. Anthony. It is for that reason that I am rather astounded that Holland American Line cannot arrange for additional tour capacity this far in advance of the trip. Yes, the itinerary has other interesting places to be visited. In particular, I would point out Corner Brook, and encourage a visit to Gros Morne National Park (especially to the Tablelands, and if time permits, to Western Brook Pond). As well, St. John's is a good city visit (I particularly enjoyed the railway museum there). Perhaps not as thrilled with Baie-Comeau (been there a few times to board the ferry, having lunch at Mike's restaurant next to the Intercar bus stop, but nothing much else) and Havre-Sainte-Pierre (when I "visited" the vessel I was on, MV Nordik Express, was there for only two hours, 9:15 p.m. until 11:15 p.m., so much was seen besides the lights of the port). But there are other cruise itineraries that also visit these other ports, possibly at lower cost. The reason for this Holland America Line itinerary, as I see it, is to visit St. Anthony and to visit l'Anse aux Meadows. I completely understand the urgency of arranging an excursion, and of canceling if not successful.

• Like 1

Your best bet might be a travel agency such as Colette Tours or Worldwide Quest out of Toronto. Just email them and ask them how much for a private tour to  L'Anse Aux Meadows for 2-4-6 or 8 number of people.

For Havre-Saint-Pierre Holland America has excursions to the Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve. The online photos look stunning. 

You could also try calling Holland America and see if they have a wait list for L'Anse Aux Meadows. 

14 hours ago, Nghthawke said:

Your best bet might be a travel agency such as Colette Tours or Worldwide Quest out of Toronto. Just email them and ask them how much for a private tour to  L'Anse Aux Meadows for 2-4-6 or 8 number of people.

The problem with that strategy is that no Toronto travel agency has anyone in St. Anthony to provide such tours. They would call around to people in St. Anthony, engage their services, and then mark the price up for the Toronto agency to get a cut. If a local guide can be hired directly, that would likely be better than a remote travel agency in Toronto.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 4:21 AM, GTJ said:

The problem with that strategy is that no Toronto travel agency has anyone in St. Anthony to provide such tours. They would call around to people in St. Anthony, engage their services, and then mark the price up for the Toronto agency to get a cut. If a local guide can be hired directly, that would likely be better than a remote travel agency in Toronto.

I'm not sure about Colette Tours but I do know that Worldwide Quest already has local guides, etc. for private tours in Newfoundland. 

6 hours ago, Nghthawke said:

I'm not sure about Colette Tours but I do know that Worldwide Quest already has local guides, etc. for private tours in Newfoundland. 

My impression is that Colette Tours sells packaged mass-market tours, and that an agency such as Worldwide Quest, with its "Private Journeys," would be better able to make individual or small group arrangements. For someone who does not want to plan a trips themselves, then an agency such as Worldwide Quest would probably be able to do that planning, albeit for a price. It won't be their own employees giving a tour in St. Anthony. And it probably won't be their go-to guy for Newfoundland, who is a professor of history at Memorial University in St. John's, over 1,000 km distant from St. Anthony. They will probably call around to people they can find in St. Anthony, add a commission for themselves (earned for having made those telephone calls), and then resell it to the individual or small group. And so long as their clients know what they're getting, it could be helpful for people who don't know how to find a local tour guide themselves, or who do not have the time to do so. Personally, I don't like involving unnecessary third parties, but that's because I am willing and able to do the necessary work to avoid engaging such third parties. I would be more comfortable calling the tourism and development officer for the city of St. Anthony (Thresa Burden, (709) 454-2812 ext 227, developmentofficer@stanthony.ca), and ask for assistance in finding local tour guides, than calling a travel agency in Toronto. But that's a personal preference of mine that might not be shared by others.

On 3/5/2022 at 1:39 AM, happywhencruising said:

You should not have a problem to get a private tour up to L'Anse Au Meadows. It is about 40 km (25 miles) north of St. Anthony and will take about an 45 mins to get there. There is some very nice scenery along the way.  I am sure a privet tour can be arranged for a very reasonable price. You will be treated like family. 

My advice, being from Newfoundland, would be to do as GTJ suggested and call Thresa Burden, (709) 454-2812 ext 227 at the Tourism Development Office or email at developmentofficer@stanthony.ca (copy info@stanthony.ca as it goes to more people).  They also have a Facebook page @townofstanthony where you can send them a message.

If this doesn't work, I know a tourism 'tour de force' in the St. Anthony area named Barb Genge. She is very involved with tourism in the area and owns a beautiful place near St. Anthony called Tuckamore Lodge.  My wife and I have stayed there many times. You can reach her at tuckamore.lodge@nf.sympatico.ca. You just tell here that Rob & Raelene Thomas recommended that you contact her.  She will get it done.

• Like 3

On 3/15/2022 at 3:47 AM, GTJ said:

But that's a personal preference of mine that might not be shared by others.

It costs nothing to send an email and see what they can do.

For me, it depends on the trip itself. If it is something really special I will use a travel agency. I have used a travel agency for India. It was a trip of a lifetime. The peace of mind (no stress!!) was worth it.

• Like 1

Hello, we have booked this cruise during the past week and have started investigating shore excursions. L'Anse aux Meadows is of interest and have just discovered that HAL's shorex is already sold out. We are waitlisted. But, we are keen to pursue options to find a workable alternative. I like seeing the suggestions so far, thank you, and I am going to start making contact with local people. I would really like to find a solution that will get us to L'Anse aux Meadows on Sept 12. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, happywhencruising said:

Our names came up on the wait list for the HAL shore excursion to L'anse aux Meadow!

Do you know if it was the result of cancellations by others or the decision of Holland America Line to add capacity? I suspect the latter . . . that HAL was simply holding out until the waiting list became long enough that they could add a full bus.

8 hours ago, GTJ said:

Do you know if it was the result of cancellations by others or the decision of Holland America Line to add capacity? I suspect the latter . . . that HAL was simply holding out until the waiting list became long enough that they could add a full bus.

I don't know. I hope that is the case so that everyone who wants to go is able to go.

• Like 1

We put ourselves onto the wait list for the shorex to L’Anse aux Meadows, we did that several weeks ago. A few days ago, I got an email from HAL indicating that I could move from waitlisted status and buy two places on the shorex. And that is what we did. There was no explanation, and none was expected, about the reason for the two places becoming available. 

• Like 2