Grand cayman beach info

richkauf

We are sailing on the apex in 2 weeks . One stop is grand cayman . Suggestions on where to rent beach chairs/ umbrellas. The places we used a few years ago are closed and it looks  like no hotels offer day passes . Celebrity has no land excursion offerings for that day . Would love to spend the day in seven mile beach

• Like 1

I was wondering if Grand Cayman had reopened... but it appears they plan to on March 21... great news... here is a link https://www.caymancompass.com/2022/03/07/ships-ahoy-gearing-up-for-the-return-of-cruise/

the story goes into how they have been closed for 2 years and are now hiring for tenders...  So you might be some of the first passengers there. This is probably why there are no excursions on Celebrity. If this doesn't change.. you might consider getting a taxi and ask them what is open... I suspect that things will start reopening and these guys might have the best idea of what is and is not open... have a good time... and let us know what you find.  I have cancelled two cruises because of GC being closed... so nice to see this change

Edited by kearney
  • Like 1

Phase 1 limits passenger arrivals to 40% of previous passenger volume or a maximum of 75,000 passengers during Phase 1.  So there could still be cancellation of some planned stops in Grand Cayman based on these limits.

We were supposed to be calling there on Silhouette at the end of March, first part of April- I think our day was the 6th or 7th. Anyhow, it's been replaced with Bimini. Got an email about it, so it sounds like you will still make it. We have been to the Cayman's often. It might be hard to find out what is still open on 7 mile beach. I would just Google or check out Trip Advisor for suggestions.

Try Coral Beach if you want a beach club style spot.  It’s right next door to where Royal Palms used to be.

https://coralbeach.ky

Your other option is to just DIY at one of the public beach spots along Seven Mile.  Lots of spots to just throw a towel down on the sand, like Governors Beach, Cemetery Beach or Public Beach. 

Are beaches in GC public beaches, or does the beach area in front of hotels belong to their guests only? I understand   that you can’t use their loungers, umbrellas, etc, but can  non-hotel visitors throw down a towel and enjoy the sand, water etc. near the hotel area? 

9 hours ago, Poconolady said:

Are beaches in GC public beaches, or does the beach area in front of hotels belong to their guests only? I understand   that you can’t use their loungers, umbrellas, etc, but can  non-hotel visitors throw down a towel and enjoy the sand, water etc. near the hotel area? 

All beaches are public up to the high water mark, so you can absolutely throw a towel down anywhere.  You can’t use the hotel facilities, correct, and this sometimes includes things like washrooms depending on how busy the hotel is and how unobtrusive you are (or aren’t). Discrete use of that stuff will be fine, but looking like you’ve moved in will sometimes get you a visit from security.  (IMO, Kimpton is the worst for that.)

There’s also the various public beach entry points I listed in my post above where you can absolutely DIY to your heart’s content, and the beaches in most cases are nicer than the ones in front of the hotels.

2 hours ago, jcgld62 said:

Does the public beaches have lounge chairs and umbrellas to rent? What about drink/food service?

Public Beach used to.  No idea if/what will be available once ships start arriving again.

If you want to guarantee chairs and food, etc. then your best bet will be paying for Coral Beach.

We’ve gone to Smiths cove but of course have no idea what’s it like now.  No chairs or food, it’s DIY.  You can get a cab there but plan on walking back or walk to sunset and have them call you a cab.  It used to be very quiet ( we were often the only ones there from a ship).  

19 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We’ve gone to Smiths cove but of course have no idea what’s it like now.  No chairs or food, it’s DIY.  You can get a cab there but plan on walking back or walk to sunset and have them call you a cab.  It used to be very quiet ( we were often the only ones there from a ship).  

They have renovated the restrooms and parking there.  It’s been pretty popular with locals lately.  I’ve seen quite a few people there whenever I’ve driven by.  It’s a very nice beach.

• 2 months later...
On 3/8/2022 at 11:41 PM, Poconolady said:

All beaches are public, even above the high water mark.  That's Cayman law, in spite of what some property owners would like you to think.  Yes you are right, you cannot use beach chairs, tables etc.