How are the Swans doing 2022??

5 hours ago, losfp said:

Yeah I think it was pretty much "win the game, and look to next week".  Some junk time goals to North and plenty of shots butchered. Oh well.

With 3 teams so close on %, it means a likely slide out of the top 4 if they can't beat the pies, but a real crack at 2nd if they won.

Do they get a home qualifying final if they finish 2nd, or do they cop that MCG rule?

I missed a lot last night!! Glad the Swans won, too bad they couldn't have stayed 50 points ahead. This would have been a good time to work on their focus, as they near the playoffs. I would love to see them keep 4th. And 2nd, well, that would be truly grand!

Go Swans!

5 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

I missed a lot last night!! Glad the Swans won, too bad they couldn't have stayed 50 points ahead. This would have been a good time to work on their focus, as they near the playoffs. I would love to see them keep 4th. And 2nd, well, that would be truly grand!

Go Swans!

2nd would secure a home game, perhaps more than one.

The

15 hours ago, arxcards said:

With 3 teams so close on %, it means a likely slide out of the top 4 if they can't beat the pies, but a real crack at 2nd if they won.

Do they get a home qualifying final if they finish 2nd, or do they cop that MCG rule?

What MCG rule?  Yes, they would play at the SCG.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

The

What MCG rule?  Yes, they would play at the SCG.

Very unlikely in week one of the finals, but the rule does exist, and interstate teams have played their "home" final at the MCG because of an earlier version of it. Previously, one preliminary final had to be played at the MCG, even if 2 interstate teams were meant to play at home.

The current contract requires that at least ten finals matches (plus all Grand Finals) be played at the MCG during every rolling five-year period. This stipulation could require the AFL to schedule a non-Victorian team's home match at the MCG to meet the quota, in the event that non-Victorian teams dominate the competition for an extended period.

Also much more unlikely with 5 Victorian teams in the finals this year, but I haven't been following that rolling count of the past 5 years.

24 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

That MCG rule has been enacted previously to Adelaide, Brisbane,  West Coast and to Sydney, it has caused issues in the past.

Not in the past 10 years it hasn't. It is not so much a rule but part of the contract the AFL has with the MCC. Both preliminary finals are played at the home ground/state of the team who qualifies to have the home game. 

40 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Not in the past 10 years it hasn't. It is not so much a rule but part of the contract the AFL has with the MCC. Both preliminary finals are played at the home ground/state of the team who qualifies to have the home game. 

Probably because of the uproar from those previous times

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

It is still sitting there dormant to bite a team one day. That it hasn't occurred in 10+ years is more due to the resurgence of the dogs, demons, tigers as anything else. While there continues to be at least half of the finals teams coming from Melbourne, there is no problem. 

Actually, in the last 2 years it has actually happened and in some of the finals been reversed with sides playing at interstate venues that are not home grounds due to covid. Melbourne and interstate sides have played away at neutral venues. With the last 2 Grand finals being in Brisbane in 2020 and Perth in 2021.

• Like 1

This MCG thing is interesting. Can anyone shed any light on why this agreement came to exist? Was there some feeling that Melbourne was being treated unfairly? Did they build a new stadium and wanted to know it would be used?

Inquiring Americans want to know 🙂

Go Swans!

11 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Interesting piece. Shouldn't they rotate the GF around the country? Seems unfair to always have it at the same place, makes it hard for non-local fans to attend.

In some ways it makes it both harder and easier. Only a limited amount of tickets get allocated to the teams actually playing in the grand final, the rest are allocated to the MCC members as well as anyone wanting to pay the price for a ticket. The MCG is also the largest capacity  ground in Australia  so because  of that it makes it easier to get a ticket if you are prepared to travel and also risk not having your team playing.

28 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

In some ways it makes it both harder and easier. Only a limited amount of tickets get allocated to the teams actually playing in the grand final, the rest are allocated to the MCC members as well as anyone wanting to pay the price for a ticket. The MCG is also the largest capacity  ground in Australia  so because  of that it makes it easier to get a ticket if you are prepared to travel and also risk not having your team playing.

Well, I guess it makes sense if it's the biggest stadium but wouldn't it be long trip for say, the West Coast Bulldogs fans? Although, looking at a map of Australia, Victoria has at least 4 teams (??), NSW has 3 (?), is there a team in the NT (which seems far)?, so maybe most teams are located relatively close. Sorry I'm not more familiar with where all the cities are in the AFL but Australia is a big place, so the trip could be long and expensive. If they rotated the GF, wouldn't that give fans the chance to attend at somewhat lower cost? If I use the Super Bowl here as an example, it moves around and it would be a lot easier for me to get to Phoenix than LA or Miami.

It seems to be working but I'm surprised that owners and TV and all the other entities that make money accept this.

15 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Actually, in the last 2 years it has actually happened and in some of the finals been reversed with sides playing at interstate venues that are not home grounds due to covid. Melbourne and interstate sides have played away at neutral venues. With the last 2 Grand finals being in Brisbane in 2020 and Perth in 2021.

I didn't include the past two seasons as no finals were played in Melbourne due to Covid. 

On 8/7/2022 at 7:54 PM, Docker123 said:

Josh Kennedy of the West Coast Eagles played his 293 and final game today

He scored 8 goals today, for a career total of 723.

Josh Kennedy of the Swans has announced his retirement today as well after being injured at the weekend in his comeback game for the Swans VFL team, after being out due to injury for two months. Josh known as Joey started his career with Hawthorn where both his father and grandfather played. But after two seasons he was traded to the Swans where he captained the club, was All Australian three times, and won the Bob Skilton Medals for Best and Fairest for the club. three times. He played 290 games for the Swans. As an Essendon supporter I have always admired the way Josh played and he seemed a very nice young man. 

Edited by possum52

50 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Well, I guess it makes sense if it's the biggest stadium but wouldn't it be long trip for say, the West Coast Bulldogs fans? Although, looking at a map of Australia, Victoria has at least 4 teams (??), NSW has 3 (?), is there a team in the NT (which seems far)?, so maybe most teams are located relatively close. Sorry I'm not more familiar with where all the cities are in the AFL but Australia is a big place, so the trip could be long and expensive. If they rotated the GF, wouldn't that give fans the chance to attend at somewhat lower cost? If I use the Super Bowl here as an example, it moves around and it would be a lot easier for me to get to Phoenix than LA or Miami.

It seems to be working but I'm surprised that owners and TV and all the other entities that make money accept this.

ML, there are 10 teams in Victoria and two each in WA, SA, NSW and QLD. The ten Victorian teams were originally part of the Victorian Football League. This explains the evolution of the game - History of the AFL.

15 minutes ago, possum52 said:

ML, there are 10 teams in Victoria and two each in WA, SA, NSW and QLD. The ten Victorian teams were originally part of the Victorian Football League. This explains the evolution of the game - History of the AFL.

Hmm, I was off a bit on number of teams! Thanks, that explains a lot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I am not sure if thecAFL is open to adding a new team or having one of the existing teams relocating (I.e Hawthorn already has a bit of a presence there by playing games there regularly).

Is there a limit to the number of teams? Good way to protect the product but Tasmania having it's own team seems like a good idea. Maybe relocating one would work--wouldn't the fans be angry?