Cruising with a Port a Cath

I have a Power Port that is accessed by a home health nurse twice a week. Once the port is accessed I am able to hook myself up to infusions with nutrition and vitamins. They take 8 hours and I have a small pump that fits on the back of my wheelchair so I have the freedom to go anywhere during the infusions.

Had anyone tried cruising while actively accessing their Port? I can't find hardly any information about it.

My main concerns are:

1. The needle can stay in 7 days; however, sometime I get swollen around my port and have to remove the needle overnight to allow the swelling to go down. I need a nurse or doctor to reaccess the port. I have all the supplies but I don't know if anyone in the medical centers would know how to put a Huber needle in.

2. My medicine, saline bags, needles are all labeled with dates and prescriptions. Is this information enough to carry my supplies onboard?

I am going on Carnival Mardi Gras in June and RCL Symphony in October.  I have contacted special needs for both cruiselines and haven't gotten any help.  Carnival said I would have to wait until I boarded the ship to find out! I've never cruised Carnival before and this definitely is making me nervous. RCL hasn't responded to my emails.

If anyone knows the answers or has experience with this topic, please help.

Thank you!

Is someone travelling with you? Before i retired I was a home health infusion nurse.I can remember getting a MD ordert o teach the patinets husband to change the portacath. We had them do it 3 dif.f.times under RN supervioson untill they were comfortable and performes procedure correctly.ithis possible with tou?

• Like 2