Ship Excursion: Swim & Baths

karma459

We are on the Celebrity Edge 4/3 and have booked the ship-sponsored excursion: Virgin Gorda Baths & Snorkel.. the description includes:  

“Our snorkel guides will provide all equipment and lead you on a 300-yard swim and snorkel through open water to the lovely secluded beach” . We will of course have to swim back to the boat once we are done, as well. 

We are 48/54 and fairly active/fit… (hike, jog, exercise routinely) and can both easily swim and have snorkeled often in the past without issues. But 300 yards seems… far…. And I don’t know how the currents are in that spot, which can make all the difference, of course.

However, I’m second guessing myself that this will be *too difficult/tiring* for us….I don’t want to be exhausted when it’s over and “lose” the rest of the day!  

Does anyone have experience on this or a similar experience where you visit the Baths NOT from land side, but instead from a swim-up position? 

We typically don’t book ship excursions, but like many, have a bunch of OBC we need to use, and this was the only remotely interesting excursion for that day for us. 

We’ve not taken this excursion, but regarding the swim into shore from a boat…We were on the beach one day and saw some folks swimming in and the current was very strong. One woman was totally exhausted and said it was from fighting the undertow. But it is dependent on the sea conditions of course…so not much help, sorry!

• 1 month later...

We swam in from the Dinghy line (as far as boats can go) and it is a bit of a hike.  We started using the white plastic buoy line to pull us in.   You will probably be fine, but of course it depends on sea conditions - I have been there when there is no swimming allowed because of swells.

image.png.6532b86a93c5ffccee7ce3f5404f0170.png

image.png.01a6a138f9abee1c7fab4d49be73a0de.png

• 1 month later...

How far out did you book this tour? I just booked a Celebrity cruise for next April and there aren't any excursions available for Tortola. Do you know if it sold out quickly? Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2022 at 9:38 PM, blue_water said:

We’ve not taken this excursion, but regarding the swim into shore from a boat…We were on the beach one day and saw some folks swimming in and the current was very strong. One woman was totally exhausted and said it was from fighting the undertow. But it is dependent on the sea conditions of course…so not much help, sorry!

I had a question about the excursion to the Baths that is not the snorkel version.  We are looking at doing the excursion to the Baths that involves the ferry over to Virgin Gorda, a short bus ride and then climb the rocks.  My question is we have a 80 year old that would like to see the Baths but can’t do any of the climbing.  Does any one have an idea of where the bus drops you off.  Is it a short walk to the beach and you can see the baths from there?  I was hoping I someone could give me an idea of if we can take this person on the tour.  She is totally mobile and still plays golf but climbing rocks is not going to be doable for her.  

The ferry drops you at the marina near Spanishtown, and folks going to the Baths by safari taxi are dropped at the Top of the Baths where there is a restaurant. You must walk down a natural path to reach the beach and the boulders.

When you arrive at the marina on VG, I would suggest explaining this to a taxi driver and asking if he/she will drop you at Spring Bay. spring Bay is very close to the Baths, yet the beach -which is flanked by similar boulders on each side and has a similar topography as the Baths - is much easier to walk to from the parking lot.

There are no facilities at the beach other than a  vacation rental. But you can see how close the Top of the Baths Restaurant with restrooms is when you arrive and decide if SB works for you. Perhaps the more adventurous can descend to the Baths while your 80-year old relaxes at the restaurant?

We’ve worked with a driver and had him drop us at different spots and return for us at a specific time, and taxi fares are not terrible…And that is a very nice way to avoid the mob that is your fellow passengers at the Baths..

Edited by blue_water
Typo
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 9:43 AM, blue_water said:

The ferry drops you at the marina near Spanishtown, and folks going to the Baths by safari taxi are dropped at the Top of the Baths where there is a restaurant. You must walk down a natural path to reach the beach and the boulders.

When you arrive at the marina on VG, I would suggest explaining this to a taxi driver and asking if he/she will drop you at Spring Bay. spring Bay is very close to the Baths, yet the beach -which is flanked by similar boulders on each side and has a similar topography as the Baths - is much easier to walk to from the parking lot.

There are no facilities at the beach other than a  vacation rental. But you can see how close the Top of the Baths Restaurant with restrooms is when you arrive and decide if SB works for you. Perhaps the more adventurous can descend to the Baths while your 80-year old relaxes at the restaurant?

We’ve worked with a driver and had him drop us at different spots and return for us at a specific time, and taxi fares are not terrible…And that is a very nice way to avoid the mob that is your fellow passengers at the Baths..

We were planning on just doing the ships excursion so I guess that will take us to the regular drop off.  The path down to the beach that you mentioned, can you give any more detail?  Is it really steep, a difficult walk or pretty easy?  How far are we talking?  Still trying to figure out if this 80 year old can do the walk.  Like I said, she is active, but I don’t want her tripping and falling or anything.  She can walk a good distance with no problems but steep/rocky conditions may be asking for a fall. 

It’s been awhile but there are 2 paths, and most visitors take one down and the other back up. We have only walked the path that takes you down to the beach to the north (right) of the Baths. That is where Poor Man’s Bar is located and you can buy drinks and snacks and rent lockers ifI remember. That is a steeper, bit more “treacherous” path when wet. But water shoes are a big plus.

I have read that the path that takes you down to Devil’s Bay, which is to the south of the Baths, is less steep and easier to navigate. Take a look at YouTube videos for a better idea. That preview takes away from the experience a bit but may help you decide…

https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+Baths/@18.4856664,-64.4986602,37079m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8c05792589e94573:0x6855decfba3024ac!8m2!3d18.4301585!4d-64.4446573

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2022 at 5:10 PM, karma459 said:

We are on the Celebrity Edge 4/3 and have booked the ship-sponsored excursion: Virgin Gorda Baths & Snorkel.. the description includes:  

“Our snorkel guides will provide all equipment and lead you on a 300-yard swim and snorkel through open water to the lovely secluded beach” . We will of course have to swim back to the boat once we are done, as well. 

We are 48/54 and fairly active/fit… (hike, jog, exercise routinely) and can both easily swim and have snorkeled often in the past without issues. But 300 yards seems… far…. And I don’t know how the currents are in that spot, which can make all the difference, of course.

However, I’m second guessing myself that this will be *too difficult/tiring* for us….I don’t want to be exhausted when it’s over and “lose” the rest of the day!  

Does anyone have experience on this or a similar experience where you visit the Baths NOT from land side, but instead from a swim-up position? 

We typically don’t book ship excursions, but like many, have a bunch of OBC we need to use, and this was the only remotely interesting excursion for that day for us. 

Did you end up doing the snorkel?  If so, how was it?
We have it booked for later this month. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2022 at 3:04 PM, D C said:

Did you end up doing the snorkel?  If so, how was it?
We have it booked for later this month. 

We are doing it on the Apex on the 22nd.

I've done a similar tour several years ago with a private company.  We did not find the swim difficult.

Edited by CruiseloverfromGA

The difficulty swimming in depends on the condition of course...When we've been there the conditions were absolutely horrible. A couple of strong swimmers were exhausted from fighting the rip tide, mainly. But of course you will know better as you arrive...

• 3 months later...

Do not be fooled. The water can get treacherous quickly.  About 10 years ago, when I was in my late 40’s, I got stuck in the water.  Couldn’t come out, and I had a hard time alerting someone to help me. My husband did not see me, he was watching our kids.  And I was right on the shore, almost out of the water.  It was so rough, I fell, sitting in the sand/rock.  Every time would get up, a violent wave would drag me back.  It is so dangerous.  My bottom was very irritated, I needed to see a doctor when I got home.  I barely weight a 100lbs.  So if you have children, watch them!  But I’m going back soon!  Such an amazing place.

Edited by ~Jo~
Spelling
  • Thanks 1